Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

timcook.png
Yesterday, we highlighted Haunted Empire, a new book from former Wall Street Journal reporter Yukari Iwatani Kane examining the transition Apple has undergone with the death of Steve Jobs. While the book includes a few interesting tidbits, our view was that Kane had selected anecdotes to support a predetermined conclusion that Apple is in decline.

With the book debuting today, Apple CEO Tim Cook has taken the unusual step of issuing a statement about the book, calling it "nonsense",

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Calls New 'Haunted Empire' Book 'Nonsense'

Reactions: paulh69

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
"other books I've read about Apple" = Isaacson's bio.

Kind of fitting Isaacson has a quote on the cover of this one.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Sounds like damage control, unfortunately.

I can very well imagine the book tries to turn anecdotes into facts so it has more appeal (read: better $ales), but why is Tim coming out so abruptly to call it nonsense?

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Hope

Yukari Iwatani Kane better be praying that Apple does not hit it out of the park at WWDC. P-R-A-Y-I-N-G

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
One thing I've just realized about Cook. He's just as paranoid about receiving criticism and just as needy for everybody's affirmation as Steve Jobs was.

Reactions: SirCheese

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Maybe he can "sanction" the author and prevent her from accessing iCloud or purchase any future Apple products.

CPTMuggle

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2009
The book reads like one long sensationalist piece with a clear agenda from the start. Kane formed an opinion before she started writing.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Thank you Tim. I've read 4 or 5 reviews of this book so far and all of them have panned it. I hope no one spends money on this crap.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
He was hardly going to say "Nailed it" was he....
Likewise, there wouldn't be much of a book, if all she said was that Apple was doing fine.

The only way to make a valid opinion of Apple's future is to know what their plans are. So unless Kane has somehow bugged Apple's executive offices, I'd say her point of view has a little more validity than my grandmother who is more likely to think of a piece of fruit than a tech company if you tried to discuss Apple with her. (She thinks Apple is doomed too BTW.)

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Apple is definately not in a decline. Especially now after they introduced a new 8gb iphone 5c and a new ipad 4

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Apple CEO Tim Cook has taken the unusual step of issuing a statement about the book, calling it "nonsense",

Better not to respond to this kind of thing Tim, it's a sensationalist book thats making money for the author.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Because introducing an 8GB iPhone 5c and the iPad (4th gen) is the "best work of their lives" :rolleyes:

Sorry Tim, but the company is boring, and so are you! I'm just glad that he isn't the one delivering the keynotes. Thank god for Phil, Craig, and the other execs that know how to interact with a crowd. Tim with his crackely boring voice makes me sleepy, and his fake enthusiasm is annoying... :cool: He doesn't seem sincere. I have a feeling that he doesn't even know half of what he is talking about. Does he even know what the features he talks about do and why they are nifty?

Still would like to see product announcements throughout the year, not all at once in September/October.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.