Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Well our new "kids" arrived today! Just in time for our trip to the Dominican Republic next week! Work means I won't have a lot of chance to test run before we go.

Very impressive with the 1.4 indoors tonight, though!

Will best some best shots on our return.

Attachments

• IMG_0561.jpg
    IMG_0561.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 350

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Fuji is continuing a campaign of putting out some very impressive cameras in their X series. You should check out Fuji X series site -

http://www.fujixseries.com/

Enjoy your new "kid" and know you wont have any buyer's remorse. - A truly excellent camera.

----------
Fuji X-E1, Fuji X-E2, 35/1,4 18-55 and 55-200

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I have to admit for me this is the most interesting X camera Fuji have put out. I need to try it to see how the focus pit selection works, but it's highly possible I may get one. Also looking at a Ricoh GR.

Oh, and LongSticks, where are you from in Kent? I'm there too!

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Fuji is continuing a campaign of putting out some very impressive cameras in their X series. You should check out Fuji X series site -

http://www.fujixseries.com/

Enjoy your new "kid" and know you wont have any buyer's remorse. - A truly excellent camera.

----------
Fuji X-E1, Fuji X-E2, 35/1,4 18-55 and 55-200

Phrehdd - I'm a regular lurker on the the Xseries and Fujirumors sites. Looking so far at the the camera, the step forward with the EVF is spectacular. It blows my X-E1 out of the water. The 3 options for manual focussing control are also better - particularly the zoomed picture in picture. Lastly the movement of so many of the shooting controls to be under the dials - metering and drive modes - means even less use of the menu system, which hasn't improved!

I have to admit for me this is the most interesting X camera Fuji have put out. I need to try it to see how the focus pit selection works, but it's highly possible I may get one. Also looking at a Ricoh GR.

Oh, and LongSticks, where are you from in Kent? I'm there too!

That's a very nice kit, enjoy it and your holiday :)

Thanks twitch I will - first one for 15months and much needed!

Yep down in Kent.

The focusing has definitely moved on again. We have had the X100 and still have an X-E1, so it's definitely noticeable and much improved for speed and accuracy!

Some video reviews that we particularly liked, as it is virtually impossible to get to see the camera in the UK as Fuji are still fulfilling pre-orders:

http://youtu.be/8N1-obUC7Ms

http://youtu.be/nW8Cz_v3w1E

And even Steve Huff who was never a big Fuji X fan is coming around - http://youtu.be/jRlr6z1T-OU

And before anybody mentions it I understand that the reviewers may have a vested interest!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Phrehdd - I'm a regular lurker on the the Xseries and Fujirumors sites. Looking so far at the the camera, the step forward with the EVF is spectacular. It blows my X-E1 out of the water. The 3 options for manual focussing control are also better - particularly the zoomed picture in picture. Lastly the movement of so many of the shooting controls to be under the dials - metering and drive modes - means even less use of the menu system, which hasn't improved!

Thanks twitch I will - first one for 15months and much needed!

Yep down in Kent.

The focusing has definitely moved on again. We have had the X100 and still have an X-E1, so it's definitely noticeable and much improved for speed and accuracy!

Some video reviews that we particularly liked, as it is virtually impossible to get to see the camera in the UK as Fuji are still fulfilling pre-orders:

http://youtu.be/8N1-obUC7Ms

http://youtu.be/nW8Cz_v3w1E

And even Steve Huff who was never a big Fuji X fan is coming around - http://youtu.be/jRlr6z1T-OU

And before anybody mentions it I understand that the reviewers may have a vested interest!

Keep us all (here) in the loop of what you enjoy about the camera in use and what foibles you find. I only know of two that people have made comment on and beyond that, people love the X-T1 who purchase it. (Potential lightleak when engaging cable and the 'navigation wheel' being a bit recessed).

I can say openly - I envy you (grin). I would love to have the X-T1 for all the right reasons but still love my other Fuji cameras. The first Fuji camera I ever owned was in the days of film - the Fujica 645 series roll film range finder. A brilliantly sharp fixed lens couple with ease of use made this a go to lens in many jobs. I'm glad I returned to the Fuji fold.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Phrehdd - I'm a regular lurker on the the Xseries and Fujirumors sites. Looking so far at the the camera, the step forward with the EVF is spectacular. It blows my X-E1 out of the water.

Didn't remember you were a Fuji X user! Have you 'lurked':) at the Fuji X-forum at all?

I prefer the it to the other two. It's friendly and well run like this one. You could even put your name down and say hello! :)

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Keep us all (here) in the loop of what you enjoy about the camera in use and what foibles you find. I only know of two that people have made comment on and beyond that, people love the X-T1 who purchase it. (Potential lightleak when engaging cable and the 'navigation wheel' being a bit recessed).

I can say openly - I envy you (grin). I would love to have the X-T1 for all the right reasons but still love my other Fuji cameras. The first Fuji camera I ever owned was in the days of film - the Fujica 645 series roll film range finder. A brilliantly sharp fixed lens couple with ease of use made this a go to lens in many jobs. I'm glad I returned to the Fuji fold.

I was always a Canon man both film and digital. My first Fuji, when I started photography again, was an HS and I loved it. It then got stolen and decided to upgrade to Canon SLR when I replaced it, but the quality photos always seemed harder to come by. Since we moved to X series we have both fallen back in love with photography. Just need more time to get out and about.

Anyway, I will come back with Pro & Cons. The only issue I can see at the moment is still size and the wheel buttons are slightly worse. The x100 actual wheel would have been better in my opinion. This is a problem with me personally as I'm 6'6" with bucket sized hands so I will be getting the grip or the battery grip when we get back. Would get them now, but need my money for drinking vouchers!! :p

Have the grip on my X-E1 at your suggestion and that worked a treat! Thanks again for that by the way.

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
I love Nikon DSLRs, but this camera has seriously tempted me to change over to the mirrorless format.

The new Sony technology is also impressive, but from what I have seen of the XT-1, its size and quality of performance, it really might be worth the move.

It will be interesting to read more reviews from users who have owned it a while and really put it through its tests.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I love Nikon DSLRs, but this camera has seriously tempted me to change over to the mirrorless format.

The new Sony technology is also impressive, but from what I have seen of the XT-1, its size and quality of performance, it really might be worth the move.

It will be interesting to read more reviews from users who have owned it a while and really put it through its tests.

Perhaps an interim option would make sense such as a used Fuji X-100s that you can use while maintaining your Nikon equipment until you feel more comfortable with mirror-less cameras.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2003
I just got an X-E1 + 60 mm f/2.4 macro lens.

It's really awesome. Your X-T1 should be even better (faster AF).

Nordichund

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Perhaps an interim option would make sense such as a used Fuji X-100s that you can use while maintaining your Nikon equipment until you feel more comfortable with mirror-less cameras.

Thanks for the good suggestion. I looked into it, the only problem is that the X-100s is only 10 dollars cheaper the X T1 body here in Norway. If I do buy the X-T1 then I would probably use both systems for a while.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Very nice acquisition. Congrats. I'm very jealous as I love my Fujis and would love an XT1 too. My X100 and XE1 say hi ;)

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Sweet setup! I'm shooting with a X100S at the moment, but would like to get an interchangeable kit at some point. I want to see what the X-PRO2 will end up being before pulling the trigger.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Sweet setup! I'm shooting with a X100S at the moment, but would like to get an interchangeable kit at some point. I want to see what the X-PRO2 will end up being before pulling the trigger.

It is going to be really interesting when we have the "X-Pro2," "X-E3, "X-200" and "X-T2." I say this as by that time, very few differences may be found in terms of ability between DSLR and mirror-less. 2015 is going to be a very interesting year as this all ramps up. In the meanwhile, we got some great devices in our hands now.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK

Haven't looked for a while, but there was a section on Fuji Rumors saying that no XPro 2 this year. One of the reasons we went to X-T1 to replace our X100.

It is going to be really interesting when we have the "X-Pro2," "X-E3, "X-200" and "X-T2." I say this as by that time, very few differences may be found in terms of ability between DSLR and mirror-less. 2015 is going to be a very interesting year as this all ramps up. In the meanwhile, we got some great devices in our hands now.

Totally and utterly agree. The only 2 things that I think they need to zone in on now is someway to cover sports (any similar fast photography) photography and that may mean a shift from hybrid detection and whether they decide to offer full frame.....though to me I don't think thats an issue as Sony FF compact didn't take off! Sort those 2 and Fuji should be able to break in.

One concern though and it is a slight worry, is that Fuji Camera arm is still making a loss! Get on board people and protect our investments!!!! :D

Last edited:

bwhli

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2012
Boston, MA
Haven't looked for a while, but there was a section on Fuji Rumors saying that no XPro 2 this year. One of the reasons we went to X-T1 to replace our X100.

Totally and utterly agree. The only 2 things that I think they need to zone in on now is someway to cover sports (any similar fast photography) photography and that may mean a shift from hybrid detection and whether they decide to offer full frame.....though to me I don't think thats an issue as Sony FF compact didn't take off! Sort those 2 and Fuji should be able to break in.

One concern though and it is a slight worry, is that Fuji Camera arm is still making a loss! Get on board people and protect our investments!!!! :D

I'm just a fan of the X-PRO's form factor. In no rush at the moment, and am loving the X100S. What kind of photography do you do?

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
I'm just a fan of the X-PRO's form factor. In no rush at the moment, and am loving the X100S. What kind of photography do you do?

Still trying to find a style that I'm really happy with. Do love underwater photography, but obviously not with an X series! :eek:

Have a look at the link in my signature if you'd like to have a look at some of our pics. They are a mixture of mine and my wife's.

We had the X100 and it was tough to give it up!

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
I'm really interested in this camera. Was a canon guy, then switched to nikon about 8 years ago. I've never held a fuji and no one in town seems to stock their more serious stuff. So I'm afraid my purchase may be from online. What are the lenses like build quality wise? As in weight, feel of the ring controls, etc...? Just looking at them online, all I can tell is they are metal (I think), but no clue how they stack up to others.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

Fuji might run shy of having a model that handles sports. Olympus has a model that is extremely fast on focus and is an example that it can be done (mirrorless that can do some sports work).

I posted elsewhere that I would love to see Fuji try a more novel approach for a new X100 type of camera. Give it 4x the size sensor, a super sharp apo-chromatic lens and then where the magic comes in is to do an electronic zoom rather than lens zoom. Some might merely call it auto cropping within the camera but the difference could be optimizing the sensor for each crop and doing advanced lens correction at all levels. In short you would get all of the pixels when the entire sensor is used and perhaps only 16mp for the most in camera cropped shot with better correction built in. Something akin to a 35-90 or maybe 24-80 counterpart. The idea is to at certain designated crop increments, have the brains of the camera optimize those sensor sites being used and also consider correcting any lens issues (fringing, colour, etc.). That would make for a very slick "Fuji" solution to a fixed lens with top quality RAW files that surpasses many of today's fixed lens cameras.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
I'm really interested in this camera. Was a canon guy, then switched to nikon about 8 years ago. I've never held a fuji and no one in town seems to stock their more serious stuff. So I'm afraid my purchase may be from online. What are the lenses like build quality wise? As in weight, feel of the ring controls, etc...? Just looking at them online, all I can tell is they are metal (I think), but no clue how they stack up to others.

I have to say that the quality of the glass, IMO, is fantastic for the price. With your history with Nikon and Canon you know that the quality is dependant on cost. With Fuji you have two variations - XF which is there equivalent of the Canon L glass I would guess then you have the cheaper XC. I've not tried the XC.

Do your research and have a look at sites like DPreview or this with Ken Rockwell for the 18-55 "kit" lens on the X-E2/X-T1 - http://kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-mount-lenses/18-55mm.htm

Lastly, the software upgrades from fuji for all the X Series Lenses and bodies shows real commitment to listening to its users and striving to improve already fantastic products.

Try and get some hands on time, it will be worth it.

----------

Fuji might run shy of having a model that handles sports. Olympus has a model that is extremely fast on focus and is an example that it can be done (mirrorless that can do some sports work).

I posted elsewhere that I would love to see Fuji try a more novel approach for a new X100 type of camera. Give it 4x the size sensor, a super sharp apo-chromatic lens and then where the magic comes in is to do an electronic zoom rather than lens zoom. Some might merely call it auto cropping within the camera but the difference could be optimizing the sensor for each crop and doing advanced lens correction at all levels. In short you would get all of the pixels when the entire sensor is used and perhaps only 16mp for the most in camera cropped shot with better correction built in. Something akin to a 35-90 or maybe 24-80 counterpart. The idea is to at certain designated crop increments, have the brains of the camera optimize those sensor sites being used and also consider correcting any lens issues (fringing, colour, etc.). That would make for a very slick "Fuji" solution to a fixed lens with top quality RAW files that surpasses many of today's fixed lens cameras.

Wow! Some great ideas. I'd put a stamp on that, post it to Japan. You may come by some royalties!!

It will be interesting as you said earlier, to see what the the next iterations bring, not only in bodies but lenses as well. I'd love to see a 55-200 f2.8. With the glass quality that Fuji are capable of, I really think that a 55-200 f2.8 would be a great lens.

----------

Sweet kit - bet you can't wait for next week. Enjoy your holiday and don't forget to share some pics when you get back!

Thanks PP. Yeh I've had two days off in 7 weeks trying to get ready for it. Probably be sleeping for the first few days!

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Do your research and have a look at sites like DPreview or this with Ken Rockwell for the 18-55 "kit" lens on the X-E2/X-T1 - http://kenrockwell.com/fuji/x-mount-lenses/18-55mm.htm
I've always taken Ken R with a grain of salt. E.G. he has some very good insights, but some strange polar ones as well. I just read a few of his XF reviews and they have me a tad worried. Here is from his 35/1.4 review (first lens I was planning on getting):

This Fujinon 35/1.4 has all engraved markings and electronic auto and manual focus controlled by the camera. The manual-focus ring works poorly ...

So from what I gather from his reviews... he's saying that the aperture and focus rings aren't actually connected to the lens internals but rather they just send signals to the camera and the camera then makes the adjustments to these settings via motor/actuator? I'm used to the tactile feel of the aperture/focus rings on my D lenses. Is this something Fuji switchers have to get used to?

Also slightly concerned about his quips on the manual-focus ring working poorly (which he points out on several XF lenses). One of the huge things that attracts me to the xt-1 is the split screen focus peaking and the allure of doing a lot more manual focusing. I'm not sure I like Ken's "just use the af button on back to spot focus" solution. Thoughts?

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
I've always taken Ken R with a grain of salt. E.G. he has some very good insights, but some strange polar ones as well. I just read a few of his XF reviews and they have me a tad worried. Here is from his 35/1.4 review (first lens I was planning on getting):

So from what I gather from his reviews... he's saying that the aperture and focus rings aren't actually connected to the lens internals but rather they just send signals to the camera and the camera then makes the adjustments to these settings via motor/actuator? I'm used to the tactile feel of the aperture/focus rings on my D lenses. Is this something Fuji switchers have to get used to?

Also slightly concerned about his quips on the manual-focus ring working poorly (which he points out on several XF lenses). One of the huge things that attracts me to the xt-1 is the split screen focus peaking and the allure of doing a lot more manual focusing. I'm not sure I like Ken's "just use the af button on back to spot focus" solution. Thoughts?

You'll have to excuse me as I only received the lens on Tuesday and have not had chance for more than a few low light shots indoors, but the click nature of the aperture ring feels mechanical. Phrehdd would probably know better than me whether it is mechanical rather than electronic. To me it feels mechanical.

Just one thing to remember. When you look at the Fuji lens roadmap, this is one of the earliest lenses produced and is still in full support, with its 6th iteration of firmware update.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Will have a better idea in 3 weeks when I get chance for some real use.

As for the manual focus the split screen in that EVF is outstanding. They have also made improvements in focus peaking as well which is nice.

We have just ordered the SD UHS II card as well, which I'm looking forward to using as I prefer RAW & JPEG combined shooting which does cause some buffering in the X-E1. At 240mbs, from what I've seen in review videos, the write is instantaneous. A really good addition, though the cards aren't cheap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 187
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.