PDA

View Full Version : adobe's new photoshop album

zim
Jan 9, 2003, 10:55 AM
Only days after MW and adobe is releasing a competitive application called photoshop album for pcs (window's only).

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/main.html

upon investigation, it appears to be exactly everything our beloved iPhoto does (with what looks like a more complicated system) but has a $50 price tag...

This leaves me with 2 thoughts....

1. it makes me see how apple is on the cuff of innovation with their iApps (this makes me happy)

2. i am saddened that adobe has decied to develop an apple copy cat for the pc, also saddened that adobe seems to put development in new ideas for the pc first (not that any mac users would buy a $50 app that we get for free).

Phazer80s
Jan 9, 2003, 11:26 AM
Adobe's answer to iPhoto may be full of features, but it's interface is choked by the conventions of Windows.

Check out the demo movie. Sure, it allows users to do most everything (maybe more) iPhoto can, but at the expense of using a screen full of small, low-contrast buttons and a hodge-podge of icons, it doesn't lure me away from iPhoto one bit.

I don't want to encourage Adobe with this app ;) , but you'd think they'd come up with something a little cleaner for Joe Schmo to use. Keep it up!

:p

dongmin
Jan 9, 2003, 11:28 AM
Actually adobe announced the software the day before Macworld but the story got lost in the MW buildup. I think the reason it's PC only is 'cuz there is no market for it in the Mac world with a free app iPhoto doing it as well if not better. No one in the Mac world will miss it.

The Apple-Adobe relationship has changed quite a bit the last few years. They're competiting a lot more directly now with Apple churning out all the digital lifestyle apps and pro apps. Before, I think there was a general agreement not to step on eash other's toes and perhaps a lot more cooperation between the two to make the Mac platform the best for running Adobe apps (like Photoshop, etc). But not no more. Final Cut Pro was a major blow to Adobe. Now with FCP Express, Premiere has no place in the Mac market.

djkut
Jan 9, 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by dongmin
The Apple-Adobe relationship has changed quite a bit the last few years. They're competiting a lot more directly now with Apple churning out all the digital lifestyle apps and pro apps. Before, I think there was a general agreement not to step on eash other's toes and perhaps a lot more cooperation between the two to make the Mac platform the best for running Adobe apps (like Photoshop, etc). But not no more. Final Cut Pro was a major blow to Adobe. Now with FCP Express, Premiere has no place in the Mac market.

You know, that's what I was thinking during MacWorld, when iPhoto 2 was unveiled...I was thinking...hmmm...retouch brush = healing brush... one click enhance. I was thinking, sure, it's not photoshop...but what if they start making pro versions of all their apps...could we see the end of Adobe on the mac platform.. I don't think so, but it is getting interesting.

I for one do not think Apple should piss off Adobe.

Kid Red
Jan 9, 2003, 01:04 PM
Actually adobe announced the software the day before Macworld but the story got lost in the MW buildup. I think the reason it's PC only is 'cuz there is no market for it in the Mac world with a free app iPhoto doing it as well if not better. No one in the Mac world will miss it.

iPhoto, iView, SimpleImage, IseeU (or some crap) there are tons of image albumn apps out there not just iPhoto. So Adobe would not have much luck with macs as you suggest. Might've been cool as a Photoshop add on type of plugin app or something, maybe Adobe will do something smaller scale along those lines? Probably not.

Kid Red
Jan 9, 2003, 01:13 PM

iPhoto, iView, SimpleImage, IseeU (or some crap) there are tons of image albumn apps out there not just iPhoto. So Adobe would not have much luck with macs as you suggest. Might've been cool as a Photoshop add on type of plugin app or something, maybe Adobe will do something smaller scale along those lines? Probably not.

medea
Jan 9, 2003, 01:26 PM
I for one hate Photoshop, and may be the only one here who does, but there is too much crap in it for me, if iPhoto comes out with just a few more options for touch ups and such then with the simplicity of the interface it would be perfect for me. Adobe is not the only company that makes photo editing software so if Apple brings out a superior product I doubt it will piss Adobe off much, and who cares if it does.

TMJ1974
Jan 9, 2003, 01:48 PM
Like their apps or not, Adobe has been there for the Mac platform. If memory serves, they were the first company to transition their product line to OS X.

Not getting into a conflict as far as which apps are better (Apple vs Adobe).....I would think it would be a mistake for Apple to battle Adobe on too many fronts. It would be like killing off your best friend. In fact, all of Apple's speed claims are based on Adobe products. They've been selling us on the fact that the Mac runs PHOTOSHOP better for years.

While I really like most of Apple's apps, I also see the need for competition, at least some. Not for the sake of pricing, but more for innovation. Yes, Apple innovates....but, what if they didn't have to ? If they kill off Premiere....how good will FC Express become ? If they have to compete for our $$, I think they'll put more effort into FC Express.

I happen to use, and like, Premiere. I also use, and like, Final Cut Pro. Each has their advantages, and disadvantages. But, I like being able to choose between them for a project. And when it comes time to buy an upgrade...I like the fact that neither one costs big $$$ and can't help but think the fact that the other is out there keeps prices and features in balance.

At the risk of being a target, I'm not a fan of iPhoto. I would like an app that doesn't open my entire photo library at launch. iView comes close.

PowerPoint vs Keynote
Safari vs IE
Final Cut Express vs Premiere
etc, etc

All good contests, but, there is a place for all of them. Keeps things interesing. And quite frankly, as much as don't like MS, Apple does (currently) need them. I like Adobe, and Apple most certainly needs them.

Tim

pgwalsh
Jan 9, 2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by medea
I for one hate Photoshop, and may be the only one here who does, but there is too much crap in it for me, if iPhoto comes out with just a few more options for touch ups and such then with the simplicity of the interface it would be perfect for me. Adobe is not the only company that makes photo editing software so if Apple brings out a superior product I doubt it will piss Adobe off much, and who cares if it does.
Too bad you hate PS because it's an incredible program. However iPhoto is great for simple photo enhancements too. I think Adobe should stick to its professional lineup and Apple should stick to it's consumer apps. The exception if FCP, which I've never used but have heard it's wonderful. I'm still using Premier, but I get it for free and that's a great price. Only problems I have are making quality Quicktime movies. I have issues trying to get the video compressed and still viewable for the web.

Apparently PhotoShop Album and Elements work in conjunction with each other.

Here's and image I edited in photoshop. Not sure if you could do this in iPhoto, but I think it's one example of why PS is great. This is a rather shotty edit as it was done for a friend in short notice.

Before:http://home.earthlink.net/~pgwalsh/friends/pic2.jpg

After: http://home.earthlink.net/~pgwalsh/friends/pic1.jpg

pantagruel
Jan 10, 2003, 05:07 PM
I;m not a real big fan of PS myself, I think its really powerful and way capable but I find it confusing at times and more of a program than I really need. As far as the album goes, who cares if its "ripping" off of iPhoto, iPhoto is innovative and that brings out new products, they will just have to keep innovating iPhoto to keep it the best in that category.
People are forgetting Corel here, I love Corels programs.