Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewatcher101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
Ipad air 7.1
Apple Tv 3rd gen

I use apple tv only for the the optical out to connect to my speakers. I still want to watch on the Ipad but not use its speakers. My ATV is not connected to a TV.

When I mirror video i.e. netflix, youtube, vlc from my ipad, sound goes through my speakers, but there is no video on my ipad. Do I have to connect a TV to get it to mirror properly?

Thank You.

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
To achieve what you want you should use airport express instead of atv since you cant route the video and the audio separately if you AirPlay to an atv.

thewatcher101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2014
So in order to use airplay on ATV, I would have to set up a TV.

The reason why I used ATV instead of airport express is because ATV has a digital out using toslink to connect to my DAC. Airport express only has a USB out and I think you can only use that USB for a printer and not for a DAC. I guess I'll just have to figure something else out. At least I know I can stop trying.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Ipad air 7.1
Apple Tv 3rd gen

I use apple tv only for the the optical out to connect to my speakers. I still want to watch on the Ipad but not use its speakers. My ATV is not connected to a TV.

When I mirror video i.e. netflix, youtube, vlc from my ipad, sound goes through my speakers, but there is no video on my ipad. Do I have to connect a TV to get it to mirror properly?

Thank You.

That's easy..... Where you pick airplay from the pop up menu, just pick your output device but DONT turn on mirroring. Just sound will be sent.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
That's easy..... Where you pick airplay from the pop up menu, just pick your output device but DONT turn on mirroring. Just sound will be sent.

That's not what the mirroring option does. Mirroring replicates whatever is currently on the iPad display (unless it copy-protected). Videos are streamed regardless, as it's just sending the media file to the AppleTV.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
That's not what the mirroring option does. Mirroring replicates whatever is currently on the iPad display (unless it copy-protected). Videos are streamed regardless, as it's just sending the media file to the AppleTV.

Umm you clearly didn't follow. If you pick an output source from the airplay menu, it will just send the audio. If you turn on mirroring then it sends the audio and video. Trust me I just did this....

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Umm you clearly didn't follow. If you pick an output source from the airplay menu, it will just send the audio. If you turn on mirroring then it sends the audio and video. Trust me I just did this....

What device and what app/service are you using for this? Because that's not how it behaves with Youtube or Netflix on iOS.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
What device and what app/service are you using for this? Because that's not how it behaves with Youtube or Netflix on iOS.

You don't don't do it from in the app. You do it from the main control panel. The one when you swipe up from the bottom of the screen. It works at the iOS level.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
You don't don't do it from in the app. You do it from the main control panel. The one when you swipe up from the bottom of the screen. It works at the iOS level.

You go into the control center to activate AirPlay mirroring. Normal Airplay works the same regardless of where you activate it: Video files are streamed, picture and sound together. Now if you're doing something other than watching a video, then normal airplay will only broadcast the audio.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
The reason why I used ATV instead of airport express is because ATV has a digital out using toslink to connect to my DAC. Airport express only has a USB out and I think you can only use that USB for a printer and not for a DAC. I guess I'll just have to figure something else out. At least I know I can stop trying.

AirPort Express DOES have optical out. It has from the very beginning. See Apple's specs page here: https://www.apple.com/airport-express/specs/

I use AirPort Express as a music streamer, connecting to my home system via an optical mini to TOS-link cable. Works brilliantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.