Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vjicecool

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
My MBA 2012 13" trackpad is damaged and acting sticky when moving the cursor. SO i am planning to replace the trackpad. Found one one the ebay for cheap :D
but it is mentioned on the desc as 2011, can i still install it on my 2012 MBA
is there a significat diff?

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
The parts are NOT the same.
The track pad interface is USB, on the underside of the trackpad is a pcb controller board, this board has the chips & logic for both the trackpad and the KEYBOARD. If you look at a 2011 keyboard you will find that the media and function keys are different as well as some missing such as the 2012 & 1013 do not have a eject key. Will it work, yes, all top keys will be shifted over to the right one and then you will lose the vol + key plus some function keys at the very left
Get the right trackpad.

Edit: my apologies
Now that I think of it, maybe the 2011 will work, maybe it was the 2010 that also did not have backlit keyboard and the top keys were different. I don't have a 2011 on hand to compare. Therefore be sure to look at the top keys of a 2011 prior to purchasing the trackpad.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.