PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 15" DL DVD Shutting down unexpectedly

tjo
Jan 9, 2006, 11:55 PM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone with the latest 15" DL DVD Al Powerbook has had it shut down unexpectedly?

I'll just be doing something (checking email, surfing web etc) and it'll just turn off... no warning, no "shutting down" message, no low battery warning, nada... just dies.

I'll be able to reboot using the power button straight away (even using battery, so it's not a low battery charge problem) and it works normally again, but has to do the full reboot sequence.

It's a bit spooky really... i'll be happily going along and suddenly nothing.

Problem is, it'll only happen after i've had it running for a few days (i just shut the lid after i'm done with it) so it would be very hard to prove to Apple.

Anyone else has had this happen?

Thanks.

MacRumorUser
Jan 10, 2006, 03:35 AM
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone with the latest 15" DL DVD Al Powerbook has had it shut down unexpectedly?

I'll just be doing something (checking email, surfing web etc) and it'll just turn off... no warning, no "shutting down" message, no low battery warning, nada... just dies.

I'll be able to reboot using the power button straight away (even using battery, so it's not a low battery charge problem) and it works normally again, but has to do the full reboot sequence.

It's a bit spooky really... i'll be happily going along and suddenly nothing.

Problem is, it'll only happen after i've had it running for a few days (i just shut the lid after i'm done with it) so it would be very hard to prove to Apple.

Anyone else has had this happen?

Thanks.

Yep mine did this lately. I just assumed it was the battery as it often reported fully charged and yet was stuck at 97% etc, as well as other strange anomolies... I rang apple tech support and got a case id for a replacement battery, rang apple after care support to arrange and to my surprise they have decided to replace the entire laptop rather than just the battery.

Another poster pointed out to me it could be deemed a logic board failure rather than battery. :)

tjo
Jan 11, 2006, 07:50 AM
Excellent stuff, thanks for your input.

I've just applied all the newest updates (battery update and 10.4.4), so if it happens again my next call will be to Apple support...

:)

ttrtilley
Oct 29, 2006, 08:28 AM
My TiBook 800 shuts down without warning if the voltage drops below about 14 V. This shouldn't happen with a new battery, but that's what it sounds like.
System Profiler "Power" will show you the number. Be very worried if it drops much more than a volt or perhaps two from the plugged in value.