Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheetoz11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
okay so here the situation a couple weeks ago i had got an xbox 360 and when it connected it received an DNS error when testing connection so i had no idea so i tweaked the settings i got it working and soon after or computer windows 7 PC and a macbook they couldn't get internet there were connected to the wifi but no internet i tried using chrome and IT WORKED on both computers so i just left it we didn't use the p windows 7 computer that much only for the internet and non-mac applications (it was slow) well it was a big problem for the mac because it the one we use a lot none and i repeat NONE apps got internet only chrome and Skype so i called up apple support and nothing just to reinstall mac os X will i would do it but i have Mac OS X 10.6.8 which requires the Reinstallation disk (which i don't have) so i found out if you go in safari and use a DNS address it will load if you use a normal address (http://www.apple.com) it will say unable to connect so it must be a DNS problem because Skype doesn't use DNS and safari works with a DNS ADDRESS so i ask apple how do i fix it a guy transfer me to another guy WHO KNOWS NOTHING will the guy before knew exactly what i was talking about but this guy NOTHING NOTHING :mad: thats :apple: for Ya

tried joining a different network nope
tried changing dns settings nope
tried resetting airport nope
tried connecting using ethernet nope
if anyone would care to help

also i got this error message using Chrome canary
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

and when i did network diag the internet and server are in red everthing else yellow

Last edited:

cheetoz11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
umm im new so why hasn't anyone replied did i not word this right or what please help

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
umm im new so why hasn't anyone replied did i not word this right or what please help

Try going to this screen in Airport Utilities and use the OpenDNS servers like in my screenshot then apply the changes.

VNxo2As.png

cheetoz11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
Try going to this screen in Airport Utilities and use the OpenDNS servers like in my screenshot then apply the changes.

VNxo2As.png

i dont have a basestation just an xfinity X1 router

----------

also i tried sharing my internet connection i hooked up my ethernet cable from my mac to my router and i connected to the macs wifi on my ipad it worked fine but very slow and after 10 minutes it gave out and said no internet connection

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
i dont have a basestation just an xfinity X1 router

----------

also i tried sharing my internet connection i hooked up my ethernet cable from my mac to my router and i connected to the macs wifi on my ipad it worked fine but very slow and after 10 minutes it gave out and said no internet connection

I see... try opening System Preferences on your Mac then open the Network pane. Then select you connection and click advanced then the DNS tab. Now enter the OpenDNS addresses below in there and apply the change.

See if that helps with the issue on the Mac.

Code:

Reactions: minotelli

cheetoz11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
Okay so on the xbox 360 I would get a dns error when joining the network so I think I changed the dns setting on my xbox 360 the settings from my mac I tried to put in my xbox's dns into my mac but no didn't help also when I was sharing my connection from my mac to my xbox I got a dns error also

cheetoz11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
okay i dont know if this would help but im going to post what i got from the ifconfig -a and netstat -rn commands in the terminal

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
lladdr 00:16:cb:ff:fe:d7:13:5e
media: autoselect <full-duplex>
en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:16:cb:b9:3e:3f
inet 10.0.0.12 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 10.0.255.255
media: autoselect
en2: flags=8822<BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:16:cb:14:3f:90
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:16:cb:a4:4c:49
samplemac:~ owner1$ netstat -rn
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination Gateway Flags Refs Use Netif Expire
default 10.0.0.1 UGSc 315 0 en1
10/16 link#5 UCS 3 0 en1
10.0.0.1 44:32:c8:ee:4d:e7 UHLWI 314 141 en1 844
10.0.0.12 127.0.0.1 UHS 0 0 lo0
10.0.255.255 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff UHLWbI 0 6 en1
127 127.0.0.1 UCS 0 0 lo0
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 0 6 lo0
169.254 link#5 UCS 0 0 en1

Internet6:
Destination Gateway Flags Netif Expire
::1 ::1 UH lo0
fe80::%lo0/64 fe80::1%lo0 Uc lo0
fe80::1%lo0 link#1 UHL lo0
ff01::/32 ::1 Um lo0
ff02::/32 ::1 UmC lo0

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
So if you go to system preferences-> make sure wifi(or Ethernet if that's what you are using) is selected then click advanced select the DNS tab and check the address you have entered.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
im using opendns as a dns provider i switched now to google's dns

Ok, so the first address in the list of DNS addresses is 8.8.8.8?

Try clearing your browser history and cache, then forget the wifi network and rejoin it. go to system preferences->wifi->advanced->select your network then click the - button to remove it. After you click ok, and apply on the previous window. Rejoin your network.

Last edited:

cheetoz11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
swordfish the tech told me to do this already i dont know but the internet and server are red in the network diag

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Can you go to the users section of system preferences, create a new user call it whatever you like, login with that account and connect to wifi. Does it work?

cheetoz11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2014
Figured it out!!!

okay so i guess mdnsresponder wasnt running so i did the command

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

minotelli

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2015
I see... try opening System Preferences on your Mac then open the Network pane. Then select you connection and click advanced then the DNS tab. Now enter the OpenDNS addresses below in there and apply the change.

See if that helps with the issue on the Mac.

Code:

I tried that Code on DNS and i got !! Its works on my computer. Thanks for that Post!
Liked.

Reactions: Weaselboy

badstar

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2017
okay so here the situation a couple weeks ago i had got an xbox 360 and when it connected it received an DNS error when testing connection so i had no idea so i tweaked the settings i got it working and soon after or computer windows 7 PC and a macbook they couldn't get internet there were connected to the wifi but no internet i tried using chrome and IT WORKED on both computers so i just left it we didn't use the p windows 7 computer that much only for the internet and non-mac applications (it was slow) well it was a big problem for the mac because it the one we use a lot none and i repeat NONE apps got internet only chrome and Skype so i called up apple support and nothing just to reinstall mac os X will i would do it but i have Mac OS X 10.6.8 which requires the Reinstallation disk (which i don't have) so i found out if you go in safari and use a DNS address it will load if you use a normal address (www.apple.com) it will say unable to connect so it must be a DNS problem because Skype doesn't use DNS and safari works with a DNS ADDRESS so i ask apple how do i fix it a guy transfer me to another guy WHO KNOWS NOTHING will the guy before knew exactly what i was talking about but this guy NOTHING NOTHING :mad: thats :apple: for Ya

tried joining a different network nope
tried changing dns settings nope
tried resetting airport nope
tried connecting using ethernet nope
if anyone would care to help

also i got this error message using Chrome canary
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

and when i did network diag the internet and server are in red everthing else yellow

If you are getting "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" error on chrome..then first check for your internet connecting wires..it might be that problem is caused by the loose wiring.if the problem still persists then try disabling the netbios...Well i even found an article addressing the same problem...may be you will love to take a look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.