PDA

View Full Version : Ram for an iBook

Bowser
Jan 9, 2006, 11:59 PM
I am really sorry for this newbie question, and I did search for my answer first. Anyways, I purchased a brandnew 12inch iBook over the summer (after the slight speed bump). Anyways, I want to upgrade the RAM, but I am confused at which RAM to purchase. On the Crucial website, it says to purchase DDR PC2700. However, when I read the user manual that is preloaded onto my iBook, it says to purchase DDR PC2100. Which one should I get. I bought this iBook towards the end of August, if it helps with which type i should get. Again, sorry for this question, which has been asked a million times.

California
Jan 10, 2006, 01:21 AM
I am really sorry for this newbie question, and I did search for my answer first. Anyways, I purchased a brandnew 12inch iBook over the summer (after the slight speed bump). Anyways, I want to upgrade the RAM, but I am confused at which RAM to purchase. On the Crucial website, it says to purchase DDR PC2700. However, when I read the user manual that is preloaded onto my iBook, it says to purchase DDR PC2100. Which one should I get. I bought this iBook towards the end of August, if it helps with which type i should get. Again, sorry for this question, which has been asked a million times.

Sounds like you got the 1.2 12" or 1.33 14" ibook, which can take pc2100. The last revisions 1.33ghz 12" ibook and the 1.42ghz 14" ibooks can NOT take PC2100 ram. Get PC 2700 ram anyway. That way, if you sell the ibook, you can take out the ram and probably use it in another computer. This is what I did. I had pc2700 ram in a 1.2ghz 12" ibook. Ram is backwards compatible but not forward compatible, meaning that the pc2100 ram will not work in a 1.33ghz 12" ibook, which requires pc2700 ram. Hope I am being clear, am sort of out of it tonight.

Bowser
Jan 10, 2006, 01:32 AM
aight so I have a G4 1.33ghz powerpc 12' iBook. why are there two different types of ram listed on crucial? the 2700 is significantly cheaper.

CanadaRAM
Jan 10, 2006, 01:44 AM
Just get the PC2700 recommended.
It is backwards compatible with the PC2100 in all prior iBook G4's
There is no downside in this case.

Choose your RAM from a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com