PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal for a G5 PM 2.0?

bzollinger
Jan 10, 2006, 02:30 AM
Here's my setup.

Sending system:
G5 Dual 2.0 with 1.5GB RAM
Stock HDD
GB Network Switch

Receiving system:
Window XP pro up to date
P4 2.8Ghz 533 FSB
512MB PC3200 RAM
15,000 RPM Seagate SCSI HDD for system
7,200 RPM 80GB USB 2.0 external HDD (this is where the files are being copied to)

All I'm doing is copying ripped DVDs (that I own) through my 10/100/1000 network (computers on both ends have GB ethernet), and the MB/sec is incredibly slow! The disk activity rate and network are averaging right around 3.5 MB/sec.!!!:mad: I can rip a DVD and/or burn a dual layer disk in the same time it take just to copy it????

I thought that maybe the HDD on the receiving end was the offending piece of hardware but I started another copy from my G5 to a different drive on my remote machine and the MB/sec on the Mac actually dropped (probably due to random access)!

Then I thought that maybe there was a problem with the network interface on the Wintel box so I upgraded the drivers, but to no avail.

The disk activity is almost exactly the network throughput on the G5. The Wintel machine is sustaining about 3% of the network bandwidth, 20% CPU and 20% RAM.

Is anyone got any ideas as to why my G5 is coping so slow? Are your systems running this slow? That new WD Raptor HDD is looking better and better.....

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.

bz

FireArse
Jan 10, 2006, 03:01 AM
Is anyone got any ideas as to why my G5 is coping so slow? Are your systems running this slow? That new WD Raptor HDD is looking better and better.....

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.

bz

Hey, I have the same system, but with 2.5GB of RAM.

I have a 1Gb 3Com switch which connects to my bro's XP machine with a 3Com 1Gb NIC. File transfers are shockingly quick. Very very fast. He has to turn off his Firewall but i think that has nothing to do with speed.

Ensure the 1Gb connections are present on both machines. If all else fails, try use a crossover cable (eliminating the switch) and see if that helps.

F

kbonnel
Jan 10, 2006, 06:03 AM
Yes, I would first make sure that the connection between the 2 machines is actually 1GB. I usually see this kind of slow speed when there is a duplex issue, but that doesn't happen with Gig connections, but more commonly with 100 speed connections. What happens if you try going the other way (win to mac)? Still a slow down? I would make sure that you are using auto negotiate for both machines first then set things hard coded. I have noticed that unless you are using cisco equipment, don't hard code your network settings, it just seems to cause more problems.

Kimo

bzollinger
Jan 10, 2006, 11:41 AM
That's good advice. I've double checked each end and they are both running 1GB. I can't rememvber if they are both set to auto or hard coded. When I installed the switch I went through all the different scenorios, but forgot where I ended up. I do remember that I ended up getting about a 20% of gigabit at one point which is about twice as fast as 10/100. However last night during that copy the windows machine was only sustaining about 3-5%:confused:

I'm inclined to believe it's not the network that is the bottleneck. The throughput was only 30%-50% of a 10/100 network even though I'm pretty sure that everything is good at 1000 (gigabit).

During a 1-10GB copy over a network, what are you guys seeing for MB/sec on network & disk activity???

bzollinger
Jan 10, 2006, 09:54 PM
Here's a screen shot of my G5 acting like a slow POS. :( Can any of you guys try a large network copy for me and see what you get for throughput? Thanks.

bz

ug.mac
Jan 10, 2006, 10:35 PM
Just did a test between my PM G5 and my GF's iMac G5, transfer rate is about 10~11MB/sec. Both machine connected to D-Link DI-624 router with full duplex 100Mbps.

bzollinger
Jan 11, 2006, 01:45 AM
Just did a test between my PM G5 and my GF's iMac G5, transfer rate is about 10~11MB/sec. Both machine connected to D-Link DI-624 router with full duplex 100Mbps.

That's what I'm talking about! There's gotta be a break down somewhere. Could there be that much of a difference in going from Mac format to FAT32? Has anyone else done a large file network copy?

Thanks,

bz