Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macairmike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Leeds, UK
Does anybody know if there are any benefits to multiple tethering on mac air?

I have iPhone and Ipad both 4G LTE with tethering enabled and an unlimited data plan on both.

Either both USB or one USB/Bluetooth and one WIFI.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Mike

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Does anybody know if there are any benefits to multiple tethering on mac air?

I have iPhone and Ipad both 4G LTE with tethering enabled and an unlimited data plan on both.

Either both USB or one USB/Bluetooth and one WIFI.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Mike

not possible, your computer will only pull data from one of the sources

macairmike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Leeds, UK
Thats a shame, used work great on the windows based laptop just set both up as connection and it did the load balancing its self.

Is there any 3rd party software that would help?

willgreene99

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
DFW
I have not figured out how to do that on a Mac yet, if it is even possible. Since when setting up a connection and then setting the sort order, the mac will use the order to go through and find the connection to its requested destination.

I have seen in Windows where you can select two network connections and have Windows "team" them. I'm not sure how that exactly works, whether it is a true load balancing or some pseudo traffic splitter. I'm guessing the latter.

The only advantage to having multiple connections on my Mac is for splitting up traffic between my mac and its apps and my vm's and their apps. o I have my Mac apps working off of the usb connected tethering and my vm's working off of the wifi tethering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.