Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I am new to building websites. I just created my own site using the free software they gave but it seems so basic. I would like to try a free or a cheap software that is easy to use in the begging. I am willing to learn new things but i need to start somewhere.

monkeysoncrunk

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2014
I am new to building websites. I just created my own site using the free software they gave but it seems so basic. I would like to try a free or a cheap software that is easy to use in the begging. I am willing to learn new things but i need to start somewhere.

Learn wordpress? Its free, powerful and has a bazillion themes. Learn how to modify and tweak themes, add wordpress extensions, etc. I learned using elegant themes, they have a web forum for their customers where you can ask questions such as how to modify themes a certain way. You can also learn from reading questions asked by other customers.

Wordpress can seem a little blog-gy, but its a good place to start without getting hit in the face with a ton of code. theme editing/tweaking is a good introduction to getting used to code, without having to write a bunch of it yourself.

just make sure u have a decent understanding of HTML and CSS. There are a ton of websites that can teach u the basics of HTML and CSS in a couple of hours.

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
There are numerous drag and drop applications, like macaw or pingendo, where you can simply drop the elements, where you want them to be. There's also an option that lets you add code of your own. I know that macaw costs money, but I think Pingendo is free and based on Twitter Bootstrap.

abnerhawkins

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014
Here are some of the list of free site builders. You can go for Wordpress, Webhostinghub, Squarespace, Weebly, Wix and many more.

HaiNH1993

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2014
Which type of website are you going to build?

There are many services out there to help you creat a website easily.
You must know what your website is? A simple CMS or e-Commerce? Then Google it for the best results.

I like Wordpress/Blogger for CMS and Shopify (or Weebly) for e-Commerce solutions.

feflower

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
Highly recommend Squarespace. They have professional looking templates. Small monthly fee but it is worth it. Just built two websites with it after almost hiring a designer.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
For serious websites with many different content, I'd go Drupal. The CMS' modular organization allows people with different specialities to focus on just one part of the site, without having to know what others are doing.

For a blog, I'd go either Wordpress or Dotclear, with a preference for the latter because it's much faster and doesn't wast resources like the former, which is especially important on limited shared hosting. There are blog engines lighter than Dotclear, but they're not as flexible. Think Textpattern.

splinterteal

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
London, UK
Highly recommend Squarespace. They have professional looking templates. Small monthly fee but it is worth it. Just built two websites with it after almost hiring a designer.

Totally agree, it's probably one of the best options out there if you don't want to learn in and outs of Web Design.

However, if do you want to learn, I'd suggest doing some tutorials from Lynda and playing with Dreamweaver or Wordpress - pretty easy to learn.

-pete-

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2011
As others have said, what do you want to build? There is rarely a "one size fits all" tool for development.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.