Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChicagoMac

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2002
Battle Creek, MI
I don't know about one working in the ibook, but video uses a lot of hard drive space and your ibook couldn't hold a full one hour video with all the other things you probably have on it. So, unless you would be doing very short videos, the ibook would not be practical. Of course, maybe you want the superdrive so you can save 4.7gb of info on a dvd disc. I suppose you could always buy an external dvd burner.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
i might also add that DVD encoding on a G3 would be painfully slow. you'd have to give up the better part of a day to do it (and you'd have to have third party software probably too). External burners might be an option for you for saving data files, if thats relaly important to you.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Actually, one of the biggest stumbling blocks would be that in order to get the compression speed to normal times (who wants to wait 24 hours for their iBook to compress MPEG-2?), the iBook would need a G4. AltiVec helps the compression into a 1:1 time ratio.

The HD size is moot really. I have a 30GB HD on my iBook with 20 GB free. That's enough room for 1 hour of DV.

Regards,
Gus

rt_brained

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
Creativille
Yeah, I wouldn't consider that sort of upgrade without at least a 60GB HD replacement. Sounds like a combo drive would be a better option for this particular machine and leave the G4 for the heavy stuff. Thanks to everyone for your response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.