Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avoidandroid

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a used jailbroken Apple TV 2 off of CL. I'm meeting the seller today. I have never owned one as these before. I heard so many stories of how great it is owning one as you can stream MANY movies/shows/live sports on a jailbroken Apple TV. Is there any particular thing I should look for? Is there a guide on where/how/what to install once I have it connected? Sorry for these questions from a newbie.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Apple TV 2 sell at a higher price than a new version 3 as they can be jailbroken. If you are a newbie do you really need this functionality, i.e. the requirement ro load the jailbreak apps ? You can stream movies etc from or iPhone or Mac to any Apple TV.

avoidandroid

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
I was able to pick one up for $180, not sure if that's a good price or not. I do have a jailbroken iphone however I'm not always home. This APPLE TV would serve it's purpose anytime whether I'm home or not. Is there a resource of where or how to install things onto it? I'm sure it is quite different than on an iphone.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I was able to pick one up for $180, not sure if that's a good price or not. I do have a jailbroken iphone however I'm not always home. This APPLE TV would serve it's purpose anytime whether I'm home or not. Is there a resource of where or how to install things onto it? I'm sure it is quite different than on an iphone.

Considering I jailbroke my AppleTV 2, installed XBMC and all the popular add ons and sold it on eBay in two hours for $235, I'd say that was a very good deal. I suppose my doing all that pre-sale setup was worth the extra $55 to the buyer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.