Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The annual Macworld conference, which will see hundreds of companies showing off Apple-related apps and products, officially kicked off today with the innovation showcase for media and workshop attendees.

While Apple stopped attending Macworld in 2009, causing the conference to shrink considerably, there are still a number of innovative products being demoed at the show, including the Petcube, the motion-controlled Ring, unique wearables from Lumo, and more.

Many of the products at Macworld originated on crowd-funding sites like Kickstarter, including the Petcube, which reached full funding back in November of 2013. The Petcube is a small iPhone-connected cube equipped with a camera, motion detection, and a laser toy, allowing users to keep an eye on and play with their pets while they're away from home.

In a demonstration, the Ring's creators used it to write letters that were then transmitted to an iPad app and also demonstrated it opening the camera app. The current functionality of the Ring seems to be a bit limited, but the creators are planning to release an SDK for developers to incorporate its technology into their own apps. The Ring is expected to ship in July of 2014 and can still be preordered via Kickstarter for $185.

ring.jpg
Lumo is showing off its new Lumo Lift product, which is a small wearable device that is designed to track daily activity and improve posture as well. It comes in an array of colors and designs and can measure steps and calories burned like many other fitness devices.

lumolift.jpg
Lumo Lift is unique in its ability to keep an eye on posture, letting users know with a slight vibration when they slouch too often. The Lumo Lift can be preordered for $79 and will ship in the Summer of 2014.

There are also several other products available that have been demoed at conferences like CES, including the Flir One thermal camera and the Livescribe 3 Smartpen that transfers traditional writing to iOS devices. A slew of up and coming apps are also available today, including video/photo hybrid Flashback and CrazyTalk, an app for Mac and iOS that takes photos and transforms them into interactive 2D animations.

Macworld will continue through March 29, with the Expo Hall opening tomorrow morning.

Article Link: Macworld 2014 First Look: Petcube, Motion Control Ring, Lumo Lift, and More

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I wonder what new GENIUS THING Apple will introduce at the keynote?

AHH...that's right...Apple RESIGNED from Macworld!!!

Well, DOH!

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
As much as I hate to say it, this conference is no longer important. Everything that is presented here is based on current products, that HOPEFULLY scale well to new ones. Add in the fact that Apple is no longer officially present, and it just doesn't feel relevant.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
The ring is not as bad an idea as I once thought, it looks like it could be quite useful for certain applications. Texting is not one of them though...

Ricky Smith

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2006
Boston, MA
Cool so the limited time my cat would spend in the single room the cube was located in I'll maybe be able to catch her and play with her for the first 5 minutes until she gets bored of the $200 paper weight.

Much better device to trick robbers into thinking you have a laser sight trained on them.

Shrkzzar

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Too bad, that "the Dash" (also a kickstarter project) was not mentioned. But than I don´t know if they where present at macworld.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
First impressions...

The pet cube reminds me of the "weighted companion cube" from Portal.
http://theportalwiki.com/wiki/Cubes

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
Preorder, $185, shipping and handling not included
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/One_Ring

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
The pet cube is an interesting concept, but just a remote control laser pointer strapped to camera seems kinda disappointing. Not all pets are going to respond well to it.

Throw in a slobber proofed Cubli and multi direction camera feed, and maybe ya got something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.