Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Steve Jobs released the newest version of the iLife suite, which now includes 6 applications. iLife 06 is available today from the online apple store for $79. Additionally, a family pack is available for up to 5 users for $99.

iLife 06 will be included with the purchase of all new Macs.

iPhoto
One click effects - sepia, b&w,
New cards, calendars & books
hard and softcover books
better quality
Photocasting - podcasting for photos
integrates with .Mac
password protected, subscribable with RSS feeds

iMovie HD
Animated themes for movies
real time effects
new audio tools
more than one project open at once
export to iPod
create Video Podcasts

iDVD
Widescreen menus
Magic iDVD
choose theme, drop in movies & photos & select theme
3rd party burner support

Garageband
New Podcast studio
Podcast artwork track
Over 200 free jingles & effects
Speech enhancer
Use iChat for remote interviews
New Jampack - World Music

iTunes
no mentioned changes from current version (6.0.1)

iWeb (New)
Apple web templates
iLife media browser
Online AJAX photo slideshows
One-click publish to .Mac
Podcast publishing

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
aka iTools 2.0 but iWeb looks very promising. *WOOT*

Thanks for providing live coverage, also. Very much appreciated.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The new GB tempts me most, but I think I'll stick to my "every other plan" and buy iLife 07. iLife 05 is already excellent and meets my needs.

Unless of course I get a nice new Intel Mac that happens to have 06 pre-loaded...

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
Looks good, will be a vast improvement from iLife 04 :eek:
Shame the onlines store's a bit slowwwwwwwwwww at the moment.

::20ROGERSC::

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
Macrumors said:

iWeb (New)
Apple web templates
iLife media browser
Online AJAX photo slideshows
One-click publish to .Mac
Podcast publishing

Question, can iWeb publish to ANY webpages (ie My Own Website) or is it JUST for .Mac?

bluesloth

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2005
AtHomeBoy_2000 said:
Question, can iWeb publish to ANY webpages (ie My Own Website) or is it JUST for .Mac?

From Apple's website:

"*iWeb publishing requires Internet and webserver access (.Mac recommended). The .Mac service is available to persons age 13 and older. Annual membership fee and Internet access required. Terms and conditions apply."

So it appears there is at least some sort of support for publishing to your own webserver.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
bluesloth said:
From Apple's website:

"*iWeb publishing requires Internet and webserver access (.Mac recommended). The .Mac service is available to persons age 13 and older. Annual membership fee and Internet access required. Terms and conditions apply."

So it appears there is at least some sort of support for publishing to your own webserver.

Keep in mind that it might not support things like SFTP or even FTP. It might only support WebDav. I know I will be sticking to DreamWeaver, it's definitely lacking a code editor.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
I am very happy with the updates Jobs announced to iPhoto. I was really tempted to pick up Aperture, just for the higher quality photobooks if nothing else, but couldn’t quite justify the price tag since I am by no means a power user when it comes to digital photography. From the looks of things, this new iPhoto will definitely suit all my needs, and then some! This is perfect timing, as I am eager to make some personalized wedding albums for my family in the near future.

NewtypeCJ

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2005
Seattle, WA
Anyone know if brick & mortar Apple stores will have iLife today, or is it one of those things that's "available today" but only by ordering online? :D

joelwnelson

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2005
I noticed the system requirements for iLife (and iWork) now list a G4 as a minimum. I wonder if that is just for the processor-intensive programs such as iDVD, GarageBand, and possibly now iMovie, or if iPhoto now requires a G4 too. I have a G3 notebook and a G4 Mini... I am hoping I can at least use iPhoto on the iBook... I placed my order for both iLife and iWork as soon as it became available after the keynote. Too bad they don't offer upgrade pricing but I guess it's already a fairly reasonable price.

joelwnelson

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2005
NewtypeCJ said:
Anyone know if brick & mortar Apple stores will have iLife today, or is it one of those things that's "available today" but only by ordering online? :D

I don't know about the actual Apple Store locations (since my state does not have any) but I called the Apple department at the local CompUSA this afternoon and they only had iLife '05. I'm guessing retail stores should at least have it by this weekend.

seh80

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2005
Chicago, IL USA
Since I'm no longer in the market for computers, iWeb was most exciting for me. So much better than I had guessed. I've been hoping for a decent way to blog with dot mac, really excited to see it here.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
This is just what the doctor ordered. I asked at the Apple Store London this evening after work while the keynote was still on if I could bag one out back but they said they were unaware that iLife had come in yet. I'll be going back tomorrow or the day after - it'll be better than waiting weeks on the bloody UK online store.

Best bits:

iDVD - widescreen menus finally! I like all the new editing options.
iMovie - new titles look decent
iPhoto - intriguing - I like the full screen and new editing options.
iWeb - I've been waiting for this for years!

iLife '06 is everything I was hoping it would be and more. I like the new website for it too. There's no way I'm waiting 'til 2007! Interestingly, iTunes doesn't appear to be grouped with the iLife suite any more.

Think I'll pass on the new iWork for now though.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Was I the only one underwhelmed by iWeb? Templates are fine, and WYSWYG is great but can you not start from a blank slate and does it not have any way to edit the underlying code without opening it up in Textedit?

About the only reason I'm buying iLife '06 is iPhoto. :-/ But selling iLife '05 on eBay will help. :D

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I'm looking forward to iLife 06' but more so iPhoto as I just ordered a photo book and will have it this weekend. With the update I'm hoping the books I buy in the future for family will look better than what I'm hoping I get from the 05' iPhoto book.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I hope at least iWeb doesnt require .Mac... because Steve says in the Keynote, talking about iPhoto: "You must be a .Mac member to publish."... :eek: :rolleyes:

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
johnnyjibbs said:
This is just what the doctor ordered. I asked at the Apple Store London this evening after work while the keynote was still on if I could bag one out back but they said they were unaware that iLife had come in yet. I'll be going back tomorrow or the day after - it'll be better than waiting weeks on the bloody UK online store.

Haha, I did basically the same thing, but after the keynote was over. Glad to know I wasn't alone in doing so :) The bloke said phone up tomorrow and they'd have more info, yay! He also said that last year, it took about 3 days before it came in. Is it really that much longer of a wait if ordering of the internet?

gallagb

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
IN
iTunes 6.0.2

so- biggest addition that i see is the addition of the 'mini-store'

else- seems to be pretty much like iTunes 6.0.1

anyone find anything else new?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The calendar creating ability of iPhoto looks cool too, I’ll have to play around with that and perhaps try it out. I like the ability of putting a picture on special dates as well, that could be a cool personal touch. :) The idea of photocasting is cool, but not something I’ll be taking advantage of personally. It is pretty cool though that, if I heard Jobs correctly, you don't actually need iPhoto in order to receive the photos, it's just an RSS feed. Cool. :cool:

Ashapalan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2005
England
i really like the idea of full screen editing in iphoto

ive been waiting since the beginning for this feature, i do like a little editing, but not enough to merit photoshop etc, therefore this is really welcome.

also great for looking through photo's full screen without the 'hassle' of making a slideshow (lazy i know but still)

like the calenders too.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The new iMovie looks pretty slick as well. I don’t use it too much myself, but probably will a lot more once I get iLife 06 in the near future. Exporting to the new iPod is quite handy as well, although I still really like iSquint for my video exportnig/importing needs. ;) :cool:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
iLife 06 looks quite impressive, especially iPhoto 6 which I'm mainly interested in.

.Web seemed OK, but thinking about it, I don't want to use the pre defined themes, I want to make my own so it integrate in with my existing website, so may not be so useful.

Applespider

macrumors G4
fitinferno said:
He also said that last year, it took about 3 days before it came in. Is it really that much longer of a wait if ordering of the internet?

I didn't bother this year. I'm from memory last year, the UK got it a week later than the US (possibly to allow them to get the Photo books set up) but I'm relatively sure it didn't come arrive in Regent St til the end of Jan. I picked mine up after they did the .Mac night for £50 and 10% off anything else since it wasn't in yet and that was about Jan 29.

Fingers crossed that with more stores over here now, things will arrive quicker!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.