Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexroddieautho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
I got my Mac Mini (2012 base model) a couple of weeks ago and have since upgraded it by replacing the internal hard disk with a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. The upgrade went by without any issues.

However, today when I booted my computer I was greeted by the dreaded "no system disk found" symbol.

I removed the SSD and successfully booted the computer using a USB 3 drive bay. The SSD works fine; however, *any* drive placed in the internal drive bay (including the original 500GB HD) simply is not recognised by the system.

I've had a look round but all connectors seem to be attached securely.

Is there a chance I've damaged the internal SATA cable somehow, or could there be some deeper problem?

Any answers much appreciated!

rndman

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2013
I got my Mac Mini (2012 base model) a couple of weeks ago and have since upgraded it by replacing the internal hard disk with a Samsung 840 Pro SSD. The upgrade went by without any issues.

However, today when I booted my computer I was greeted by the dreaded "no system disk found" symbol.

I removed the SSD and successfully booted the computer using a USB 3 drive bay. The SSD works fine; however, *any* drive placed in the internal drive bay (including the original 500GB HD) simply is not recognised by the system.

Is there a chance I've damaged the internal SATA cable somehow, or could there be some deeper problem?

Cable would be the first suspect (in terms of easier isolation).
Else the controller..

I presume you do not have spare cable.. so your best bet is install the stock drive and take it to Apple..

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

I assume you are only trying to use one drive? Could you try the other internal SATA "port".... You are probably going to have to jimmy the drive (probably won't be able to seat it properly), but this is simply to see if the cable works at all and if it is the internal SATA port you are trying to hook it to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.