Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I went to download the new office apps for my iPad 3 today, but apparently I can't. I have been looking forward to these why a while now. But I can't because I choose not to download iOS 7 on my iPad 3. I prefer a smooth fluid textured operating system. Anyone else in my shoes here?

6nrvvp.png

Last edited:

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Well, microsoft isn't going to develop for previous gen iOS, why would they? iOS 7 is much different than iOS 6 and the majority of ios users are on iOS 7 now. Your ipad 3 is perfectly capable of running iOS 7. What's holding you back?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Well, microsoft isn't going to develop for previous gen iOS, why would they? iOS 7 is much different than iOS 6 and the majority of ios users are on iOS 7 now. Your ipad 3 is perfectly capable of running iOS 7. What's holding you back?

What's holding me back? The look, the icons, the performance. I can't stand the look of iOS 7 on the iPad. To hard on my eyes. Anyway, I just find it absurd that it's not supported. I update my apps all the time on there and download new ones and never get that error message before. Strange.

----------

Looks like you have two choices... ;)

Yep. Nothing will make me upgrade. Some people just don't like iOS 7 and never got use to it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What's holding me back? The look, the icons, the performance. I can't stand the look of iOS 7 on the iPad. To hard on my eyes. Anyway, I just find it absurd that it's not supported. I update my apps all the time on there and download new ones and never get that error message before. Strange.

----------

Yep. Nothing will make me upgrade. Some people just don't like iOS 7 and never got use to it.

Griping about performance means you haven't actually used it.

Either get over it and adjust, or realize that many apps are going "iOS 7 or later" and you'll be left in the past.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Griping about performance means you haven't actually used it.

Either get over it and adjust, or realize that many apps are going "iOS 7 or later" and you'll be left in the past.

I have played it. That would be pretty arrogant of me to make such a bold statement huh? I tried iOS 7.1 on my buddy's ipad 3. It seemed ok, but I still felt some stuttering and lag. I just like the iOS 6 look.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I have played it. That would be pretty arrogant of me to make such a bold statement huh? I tried iOS 7.1 on my buddy's ipad 3. It seemed ok, but I still felt some stuttering and lag. I just like the iOS 6 look.

You're right - my mistake. "Trying it on my buddy's iPad" obviously allowed you to make an informed decision.

Like I said - either learn to adapt to change, or get left behind in the past. Having used 7.0 and 7.1 on various devices ranging from an iPhone 4S to an iPad mini retina for longer than 37 seconds, I feel I can provide a more accurate picture of iOS 7.1 performance.

That is to say, its every bit as good as iOS 6.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
You're right - my mistake. "Trying it on my buddy's iPad" obviously allowed you to make an informed decision.

Like I said - either learn to adapt to change, or get left behind in the past. Having used 7.0 and 7.1 on various devices ranging from an iPhone 4S to an iPad mini retina for longer than 37 seconds, I feel I can provide a more accurate picture of iOS 7.1 performance.

That is to say, its every bit as good as iOS 6.

I've used it enough to get a feel of it. For me it wasn't so much the performance, it is the horrible look.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I've used it enough to get a feel of it. For me it wasn't so much the performance, it is the horrible look.

Again - adapt to change or be left behind.

The look is a vast improvement in my opinion - stark change at first, and I wasn't enamored with it when I first saw it. But over time, its grown on me and now I can't imagine going back.

You can't expect developers to continue to support older versions. A big reason why I prefer Apple is the consistency of design language throughout the OS and Apps. Devs need to update apps to iOS 7.

It's your choice not to upgrade, and if that's what you want to do, no one is stopping you. But don't complain about the consequences.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
The OP will be running into this more and more and it won't be long.

I remember this happening on the original iPhone after that phone stopped getting further updates. Finally had to stop using it and sold it.

I don't feel sorry for those who refuse to update. You're missing out.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX

So you would rather not get an app that you have been "looking forward to for a while now" than update iOS?

The "look" of iOS7 that you seem so put off by won't be very noticeable inside apps.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Hey OP, I wish I never upgraded my iPhone 4s to iOS 7. But the air has been good(minus safari tab reloads constantly), and the ipad2 is definitely passable.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
As far as I can recall Microsoft will a) most likely have used iOS 7-only APIs and b) developers have to release new apps under the new SDK and at some point only for iOS 7 and further, afai can recall.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I was in the same boat with my iPad4. But I had to bite the bullet and upgrade in order to get the SSL bug fix. Although I don't like the look of 7, the big issue for me is performance. It isn't as smooth and responsive as 6.1.3. The difference is noticeable. :(

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
I went to download the new office apps for my iPad 3 today, but apparently I can't. I have been looking forward to these why a while now. But I can't because I choose not to download iOS 7 on my iPad 3. I prefer a smooth fluid textured operating system. Anyone else in my shoes here?

I am.

Note that it was rather easy to port Office's UI on iOS 7 because it is a total ripoff of both Microsoft's "Modern" and Google's "Holo" design languages.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Again - adapt to change or be left behind.

The look is a vast improvement in my opinion - stark change at first, and I wasn't enamored with it when I first saw it. But over time, its grown on me and now I can't imagine going back.

You can't expect developers to continue to support older versions. A big reason why I prefer Apple is the consistency of design language throughout the OS and Apps. Devs need to update apps to iOS 7.

It's your choice not to upgrade, and if that's what you want to do, no one is stopping you. But don't complain about the consequences.

This one is saying smart things, listen to him/her.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
What's holding me back? The look, the icons, the performance.
I cannot help with your dislike of look of iOS7, but the performance is significantly improved with iOS7.1. Your iPad will feel new and snappy again.

You are not missing anything by not downloading the Office suite. $99/year to Microsoft (33% of which goes to Apple, if purchased via in app ) or free Pages, Keynote, Numbers from Apple, pretty simple choice to me.

You could always buy a Windows tablet. I have a couple sitting around my office, given back to me by serious Microsoft fan boys after six months. In the end they went with the iPads.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I went to download the new office apps for my iPad 3 today, but apparently I can't
OP, that's the issue with staying on a legacy OS, you exclude yourself from apps.

while I can understand your hatred for iOS7, it comes at a cost. You can choose to stay on iOS6 and not use office, or upgrade.

Buddygor

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012

I'm going to try a different approach; if you're so hooked by 6, then jailbreak your ipad to save the blobs, then update to 7.1. Coming from a regular ipad 2(!) user, 7.1 is a world of difference. Of course the UI is drastically different, but I love it, even though I hated it at first. It grows on you. And I have a non-retina screen. The thin typefaces are are really nice, and the overall coherency is great. Of course it takes some getting used to, but it's worth it. Apps finally now have a similar feel! It also has many more features and supports new, cool technologies. Your ipad is more than well-equipped. Again, my iPad 2 runs it like a champ; after ios 7.1, it's as fast as 6.

Trust me; you can always go back in 10 minutes if you save the blobs, so what do you have to lose? You just restore your ios 6 backup when you go back.

Office is ios 7-only because the UI was specifically created to match the clean flatness of 7. They wouldn't make a whole new UI for an OS that's on a vast minority of devices. That's why.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I was in the same boat with my iPad4. But I had to bite the bullet and upgrade in order to get the SSL bug fix. Although I don't like the look of 7, the big issue for me is performance. It isn't as smooth and responsive as 6.1.3. The difference is noticeable. :(

Yes, I know its not as smooth and responsive as 6.1.3. That's why I won't update it. Shouldn't a new OS be more smoother and fluid than the previous OS?

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
ios7adoptionrate_march.png

Code:
https://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/24/ios-7-adoption-85/

Sorry. People have embraced iOS 7. You should too.

This is just the way technology is. Adapt, or become obsolete. Remember the PPC->Intel transition? What if you decided "I don't like Intel. I am not going to upgrade"? Would you still be using PPC right now?

Last edited:

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

You chose not to update your device.

Microsoft also chose... to compile for 7.1.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
This is just the way technology is. Adapt, or become obsolete. Remember the PPC->Intel transition? What if you decided "I don't like Intel. I am not going to upgrade"? Would you still be using PPC right now?

Correction, this is the way Apple makes their new technology. I'm still on PPC and I can survive fine, mainly thanks to a great and continued community of developers. Which is mainly thanks to the lack of a single software store maintained by Apple. If you're in the walled garden, you need to accept everything Apple throws in your face, including planned obsoleteness.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Trust me; you can always go back in 10 minutes if you save the blobs, so what do you have to lose? You just restore your ios 6 backup when you go back.

Bad advice. You can't save the blobs unless you do it while Apple is signing that firmware version -- so way too late to save the blobs for iOS 6. Plus, even if you have the blobs saved, I don't think the JB teams ever figured out a way to reinstall older firmware on more recent devices. So there's just no way to try and go back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.