Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
Hey, well the new MacBook has been released with the Intel cpu - What do you guys thing about this, and is it going to be any good?

Ok yes, it has a built in iSight camera and a built in remote reciever for the Apple remote, but beside that what else is there?

Was it worth going to Intel who make cpu's at cost price?

bug

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2004
Vancouver, BC
wasimyaqoob said:
Hey, well the new MacBook has been released with the Intel cpu - What do you guys thing about this, and is it going to be any good?

Yes, here are some benchmarks I've ran:
(1.67 15 SD vs 15 MacBook Pro)

SuperBench 3:
PB: 4
MB: 6

50% increase there... looking good so far.

UltraGraphicBench 4:
PB: 53667
MB: 53999

Here was only see a small improvement with the MacBook. Could this mean that intel chips are just not as fast at ultra graphics?

DiskMasterPlus 2006:
PB: 200
MB: 250

Here again, we see some improvements with the MacBook. Note that both of these computers were fitted with the 7200 RPM drives. Thank god I'll be able to master my disks 25% faster!

Draw backs are there is no super drive, no modem, no firewire 800 - but there are no 'lines' on the new MacBook screen! That right there is worth it, and those extra 60 pixels were kinda getting on my nerves anyway.

Conclusion:
It really depends on your needs, but if speed is your prime concern, I'll have to go with the MacBook Pro. Users who need to have Ativec would be fine with the powerbook.

:p

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.