Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IamJosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2014
Hello all,

Ok I've been searching around but can't seem to find the answer... Here's what I would like to do:

I would like to be able to turn on my AppleTV, scroll over to "Computers" and access my TV shows and movies via home sharing without having to turn on or open my macbook. I Torrent A LOT! Mostly movies and TV shown. I convert all the files to mp4 and arrange them neatly in iTunes. The problem is the macbook has to be in the vicinity of the AppleTV in order to access the media so if it's at work or my wife wants to access the media when I'm not home it won't work. I want to always be able to access it.

Now that being said, I know there will need to be additional equipment involved in this process. I'm here looking for recommendations from the pros. Should I get a Mac Mini and import all of my files to iTunes on the Mac Mini and just leave it on all the time connected to wifi? Do I need an Airport with Time Capsule? Should I jailbreak my AppleTV 2?

Thank you in advance for your help.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
A time capsule can be used for storage, but won't stream by itself. A Mac mini will certainly accomplish this task with relatively low power consumption even if on 24/7.

IlikeMacsSoMuch

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2009
Blainville, Province of Quebec
I use a mac mini 2010 with an external hdd and it works flawlessly for streaming to both my ATV's. And since it is a fully functioning mac it can do basically anything. Use an legato eyetv hd with it and it makes one hell of an HTPC. That'"s what I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.