Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
An error occurring while using my word processor (OpenOffice for my MacBook Pro running Mt. Lion) and damaged some basic files that manage that program. Even uninstalling and downloading and installing the app again does not allow the program to work right now.

If I want to use Time Machine to restore from a snapshot (or maybe from a month old full backup), would this fix the problem, and would the program run from the original installation from before the problem occurred?

Thanks.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
And how do I find those local snapshots for a day or two ago? I click Enter Time Machine and it just shows file structure. How can I find and choose a snapshot to restore, assuming that is the best way to get things working perfectly as they did early yesterday.

Thanks.

----------

I uninstalled the program first, the way the Help section said, by dragging it into Trash and then emptying Trash. Then I downloaded and installed new.

----------

Ok, watching that fast video play, it appears that the uninstall I did was not complete and I need to slowly go through and find all the system files connected to that program and manually delete them, too, right?

Thanks.

Last edited:

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
THANK YOU!! I watched the video slowly and deleted all the system files. That made all the difference. I noticed that downloading the office program again the second time took much longer. I wondered if that was because it was not sending the whole thing since I had dmg and other files already on the computer. Just guessing…..

Anyway, that fixed everything and I thank you for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.