Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So I bought the little 2200 mah energy to go Energizer pack a couple years ago, and that's worked well for a couple years but is wearing out. Looking for a new compact model similar... anyone have any recommendations? I've tried Anker models without much success (like many of the no-name brands they advertise one output and the reality turns out to be less). I really just need something that will get me one extra charge on the iPhone... with emphasis being on it's small size.

Thanks!

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Portable Battery Pack\Charger That's Small\Reliable?

So I bought the little 2200 mah energy to go Energizer pack a couple years ago, and that's worked well for a couple years but is wearing out. Looking for a new compact model similar... anyone have any recommendations? I've tried Anker models without much success (like many of the no-name brands they advertise one output and the reality turns out to be less). I really just need something that will get me one extra charge on the iPhone... with emphasis being on it's small size.

Thanks!

Which anker battery pack do you have? They are my favorite company for battery packs!
Maybe this one will be good. I have this one as well:
EasyAcc® U-bright 3000mAh Power bank Lipstick size 2.1A Output with... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GAVCNZI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Fhgotb1PNKW30
Or
Mobile Phone Power Bank Battery Charger 3000 mAh with LED Indicator... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HF3Z8U2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_0igotb1T0SD02

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Which anker battery pack do you have? They are my favorite company for battery packs!
Maybe this one will be good. I have this one as well:
EasyAcc® U-bright 3000mAh Power bank Lipstick size 2.1A Output with... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GAVCNZI/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Fhgotb1PNKW30
Or
Mobile Phone Power Bank Battery Charger 3000 mAh with LED Indicator... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HF3Z8U2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_0igotb1T0SD02

I've had many of the Ankers, small to large. My issue with them is they always over-state the capacities.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Portable Battery Pack\Charger That's Small\Reliable?

I've had many of the Ankers, small to large. My issue with them is they always over-state the capacities.

Which one? How much mah was the batteries you have? All battery packs loose 10-30% of their capacity from heat and converting the power which may be the reason you say that they are over rating the batteries capacity.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Which one? How much mah was the batteries you have? All battery packs loose 10-30% of their capacity from heat and converting the power which may be the reason you say that they are over rating the batteries capacity.

As I said, I've had numerous. They're the same cheap units I have bought in Beijing and Bangkok.. they all advertise numbers 25-50% over their realistic capacities. I guess not a big deal. I think I'm going to try the Mophie power station. It seems to be a fairly trustworthy brand and the reviews show their stated capacity is reality

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
As I said, I've had numerous. They're the same cheap units I have bought in Beijing and Bangkok.. they all advertise numbers 25-50% over their realistic capacities. I guess not a big deal. I think I'm going to try the Mophie power station. It seems to be a fairly trustworthy brand and the reviews show their stated capacity is reality

Mophie IMO is way over priced. Take a look at New Trent, Ravpower and Easyacc.
The companies don't lie about the capacity of the batteries. All battery packs loose 10-30% of their capacity due to heat and power conversions, as said.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Mophie IMO is way over priced. Take a look at New Trent, Ravpower and Easyacc.
The companies don't lie about the capacity of the batteries. All battery packs loose 10-30% of their capacity due to heat and power conversions, as said.

They don't lie about capacity? BS. They've always lied about it. That's why name brands (Energizer Energi To Go, Mophie, Duracel) come at a premium. Much like Apple, the brand goes a long way in quality. The battery packs are too cheap to produce to ward off the shady makers... hence the bazillion brands.

Thanks for reminding me why I pick Mophie... I'll actually just order the power station. Thanks.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
They don't lie about capacity? BS. They've always lied about it. That's why name brands (Energizer Energi To Go, Mophie, Duracel) come at a premium. Much like Apple, the brand goes a long way in quality. The battery packs are too cheap to produce to ward off the shady makers... hence the bazillion brands.

Thanks for reminding me why I pick Mophie... I'll actually just order the power station. Thanks.

Premium brands like mophie have premium parts that convert the power more efficiently than others, so it is closer to the advertised amount of power. I'm not trying to fight, just trying to help and save you money.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Premium brands like mophie have premium parts that convert the power more efficiently than others, so it is closer to the advertised amount of power. I'm not trying to fight, just trying to help and save you money.

Oh I definitely would rather have longer performance life, cell quality, etc over cost. I learned from cheap chargers the hard way in the past, quality over cost.... and from the sounds of it, Mophie is the winner if cost is not an objective?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Oh I definitely would rather have longer performance life, cell quality, etc over cost. I learned from cheap chargers the hard way in the past, quality over cost.... and from the sounds of it, Mophie is the winner if cost is not an objective?

I don't have a mophie but most likely yes. Take a look at uNu and PhoneSuit. They are also premium brands IMO.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

Not my experience. I have owned, measured carefully, returned many such battery packs as not meeting spec. Mophie are as bad as the rest.

My latest fiasco was with a 12000 mAh Mophie Powerstation XL costing £109. Measured usable capacity about 7000 mAh. Had it replaced three times before getting refund. All units the same.

Then I bought a 12000 mAh unit from Amazon for £19. It is also about 7000 maH usable, but at less than a fifth of the cost, and has torch and digital meter.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I don't have a mophie but most likely yes. Take a look at uNu and PhoneSuit. They are also premium brands IMO.

Neither of these are "premium" .. by premium, it means a well respected brand that has a major presence in the market, and more times than not has been adopted by another major retail chain. Just because you like the feel of a brand doesn't make it premium. When Apple stocks a product, they put their reputation on the line, so if they stock it, it's one indicator of a premium brand.

Chargerdan

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
I've had some real good luck with Jackery packs. They all have metal cases and the capacity has been as advertised. I recommended them to others and nobody has come back disappointed.

I also have the small Anker and that one has been good also.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I've had some real good luck with Jackery packs. They all have metal cases and the capacity has been as advertised. I recommended them to others and nobody has come back disappointed.

I also have the small Anker and that one has been good also.

Jackery and anker have excellent battery packs IMO.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I like my Mophie power packs fwiw.

Yeah. I have the power station (the mid one, not the tiny or huge), and it's fantastic. I like it because the overall design and construction is very similar to my iPhone 5S...and the other brands randomly discharge or don't provide what they promise 100% of the time, whereas mophie does. One time I felt like I wasn't getting the full charge, I called mophie, they express'd me a replacement with a return label. You get what you pay for, and like apple, Mophie = quality and service.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
They come at a premium price though. You can get much more power for much less money. Just sayin:)

The exact same thing can be said about an iPhone, iPad, and any model of Mac computer. There's a reason people buy them.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Yeah. I have the power station (the mid one, not the tiny or huge), and it's fantastic. I like it because the overall design and construction is very similar to my iPhone 5S...and the other brands randomly discharge or don't provide what they promise 100% of the time, whereas mophie does. One time I felt like I wasn't getting the full charge, I called mophie, they express'd me a replacement with a return label. You get what you pay for, and like apple, Mophie = quality and service.

As mentioned earlier, I have owned three Mophie Powerstation XL and two Juicepacks. They are well made and nicely designed but not one of them gave the specified output. The Apple stores I bought them from agreed with my analysis and replaced and eventually refunded me.

As is now well known but never stated on the packaging the transfer efficiency means that even the best packs will only transfer about 70% of the power in the pack to be useful charge in the phone or iPad. I found my Mophie's were more like 60%.

I don't know how they get past Trade Descriptions rules, although I suppose if they claim "Up to eight recharges of your iPhone" and it only gives five, they haven't actually lied, as "five" is "up to eight"!

gamecocksown

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
I don't understand why anyone would love Mophie so much. There is way better for the price, capacity and build wise. So overpriced.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I don't understand why anyone would love Mophie so much. There is way better for the price, capacity and build wise. So overpriced.

Funny the Android fanboys say the same about Apple. This is going nowhere.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I think I have enough battery packs:)
age5u9es.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.