Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I ordered an iPhone 5s leather case from Apple, and after a week of use the case is horrible, it has a darker tones of blue on the edges and it feels like I had it for months. Is that normal?

I didn't do anything other than carry it in my front pocket for a few days.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I ordered an iPhone 5s leather case from Apple, and after a week of use the case is horrible, it has a darker tones of blue on the edges and it feels like I had it for months. Is that normal?

It's leather, and it will wear. Yes, it's normal. You could pre-treat, but it's too late for that.

Otherwise, the darker the case, the better.

I've had my black 5s leather case for over 2 months now, and it still looks great.

jamesjingyi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
UK

Sorry to be a pain, but could you post some pics? I'm just curious before I go out and buy a new case..

Allanb1985

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2013
I also have the black Apple leather case and have done since just before christmas and it still looks fantastic! I really wanted the red leather one but had seen pictures of how badly it wears and decided against it. The Apple case is definately one if the best options available in my opinion. I came from a Galaxy S3 which had a Spigen case and I swore by it and said I would definately be buying one for my 5s..... Until I tried the Apple one. Never looked at another case yet!

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Sorry to be a pain, but could you post some pics? I'm just curious before I go out and buy a new case..

It is exactly like this picture from Macworld review:

iphone5scase-wear-100160947-orig.png

Mine is blue though, so the case has a darker blue tint all over the edges.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
I went with a beige colored case because it goes well with the gold 5s. I remember on the packaging it says: This case is designed to wear.

Btw, how do you pre-treat it to avoid wear?

It's leather, and it will wear. Yes, it's normal. You could pre-treat, but it's too late for that.

Otherwise, the darker the case, the better.

I've had my black 5s leather case for over 2 months now, and it still looks great.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA

I purchased it in RED and it's fine. I read the reviews at the Apple site before purchasing. It turns out it ages quickly if inserted into pant pockets, but if in a purse, brief case, or just hand holding the case, it's fine. Nonetheless, I agree, it's not supposed to wear and age so quickly.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It's normal and there was a long thread about this when the 5s launched. Therefore I chose the black leather case and it still looks great after months of use.

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
I have this case in red, black and brown (I like variety). I treated the red one with leather protector spray when I first got it, it still looks brand new.

I wanted the brown one to age gracefully and didn't treat it and now it has a lovely aged look about it. Brown is by far my favourite.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Anya, could you give the link and product name?

I have this case in red, black and brown (I like variety). I treated the red one with leather protector spray when I first got it, it still looks brand new.

I wanted the brown one to age gracefully and didn't treat it and now it has a lovely aged look about it. Brown is by far my favourite.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
To each his own... I love the look of my brown one now! It reminds me of the patina of an old baseball glove.

Exactly! That's the point of leather. I actually worked hard for several days to age it to the point of being barely acceptable. Now 5 months later it's still "getting there". Opposed to OP I don't think the leather ages fast enough.

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013

Thats normal. If you look at the back of the packaging it also states that the case will change colour as you use it.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I bought the red and did not pre-treat. Normal? It looked horrible after 2 weeks. There's a HUGE difference between wear and looking like garbage.

I went to the Apple Store and exchanged for a black case. It looks OK, but fantastic? That's a stretch.

Mine sits in a sunglass microfiber pouch and then it goes in my pocket.

I'm curious about the brand name of the pre-treat products that work as I really miss the red. When it was new, it looked great.

jj03

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2013
Yes its "normal" with this case. I had the same color case as shown in the pic posted and in a week it started looking bad just by leaving it in my pocket. Its a nice looking case wish it lasted longer.

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Just curious (since a few of you own these)

Are they actual leather - or faux leather (like 99% of the "Leather" item out there)? Almost looks faux in the pics...

koerk

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2013
No it's real. Even smells like leather.

Btw, have the red one and actually enjoy the wear at the edges in its current state.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I didn't think about giving these cases a chance until recently.

Boy... am I sorry I waited. These are the best form-fitting cases for the iPhone out there.

I have the black and LOVE IT!!!

Apple I tell you just know how to build quality ish!!!

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
My black one is still perfect, might have been a slight defect with that batch of leather. Worth taking it in and see what they will do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.