Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
I'm trying to transfer a large amount of data (500gb or so) from a USB external drive to a new network drive (WD MyCloud). Most of it seems to transfer ok, but finder keeps stopping saying that I dont have permission to access some of the files. I click ok (which it the only option) and it continues to transfer. Most of my data appears to be on the new drive, but some is apparently missing... and I have no way to find out what it is.

I believe the problem is just with the old USB external drive. I have found at least a few folders that it wont allow me to delete, even after I unlock them (no idea how they got locked in the first place). The USB drive is formatted as Mac Journaled. Is there a way I can reset the permissions for the whole drive and reattempt the copy? Or maybe a way that I can filter to see exactly which files it is not allowing me access to?

Thanks.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hello,

try this :

- in Finder, select the external hard drive
- Cmd + i (get infos)
- in the bottom of the window, check the box "ignore ownership on this volume"

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Hello,

try this :

- in Finder, select the external hard drive
- Cmd + i (get infos)
- in the bottom of the window, check the box "ignore ownership on this volume"

Thanks for the response. I found that in my googling for a solution, but it was already checked. Any other ideas?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for the response. I found that in my googling for a solution, but it was already checked. Any other ideas?

Hmm... that should over ride any permissions issues on the external.

Can you find one of the folder you think is locked and tell use what a command-i info on that shows?

MaxPower49

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Hmm... that should over ride any permissions issues on the external.

Can you find one of the folder you think is locked and tell use what a command-i info on that shows?

Not really because there are so many files on the drive, and it doesn't tell me which ones aren't copying. I have found a few folders that I am not able to delete. Ctrl+I shows no problems... folder isn't locked and i have read/write access.

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
I have found a few folders that I am not able to delete. Ctrl+I shows no problems... folder isn't locked and i have read/write access.
Read/write access is not all.

Are you the owner of these folders you are not able to delete ? I guess NO.

Under "sharing and permissions", select your username, click the gear icon : is "Make (Me) the owner" clickable ?
If yes you are not the owner, hence the problem you have.

However, having "ignore ownership on this volume" ticked "should over ride any permissions issues on the external" as Weaselboy said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.