Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi all

So I thoroughly enjoy web browsing on my iPad 4, it's what I do most with it, and as much as I like Safari I've got one major issue with it, it tends to reload tabs after I've left them for a while, sometimes even after I've just left a tab I go back and it has to reload, this really irritates a lot, so I wanted to find out from you guys what web browsers you use and which browsers are less likely to reload tabs?

I tried Google Chrome, very fast but the moment I had 5 tabs open, the rest began to reload when I went back to them, it seems to be worse than Safari.

I've tried Mercury but it just feels so clunky and poorly made, just feels like more effort to use than Safari and Chrome.

I'm currently using Coast by Opera just to see if I face the same issues as in Safari and Chrome. Coast seems very fast, but I'm holding back final judgement and will use it for a few days before I conclude.

What other browsers would you guys say are as fast as Safari and Chrome and will not reload tabs? This is my only gripe with both, if they didn't do that I'd be very happy.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just use safari, it does what I want it too, and if the page gets reloaded, it gets reloaded. I don't get worked up about it.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I often have to copy/paste things either between tabs or between another app and Safari, so for me it is vital that I have a web browser that doesn't reload tabs when it wants to but rather leaves my tabs where they were, as I am the one who is in control I shouldn't just have to live with it doing this, it makes it less simple to use which diminishes the whole point of it "just working".

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the reloading is less about safari having issues and more about available ram, which is why chrome is doing the same thing.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I have tried nearly every browser that has been released, and am pretty picky about details, yet Mercury is the only browser that has replaced Safari for me long term. What about it don't you like?

For me, it feels more like a desktop browser than most, and the interface is minimalist enough that it just gets out of the way. I like that I can keep in sync with all my other browsers regardless of platform. I can customize gestures to make navigation much simpler. And most important, it can keep 8-10 tabs reliably open without crashing or reloading.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
What other browsers would you guys say are as fast as Safari and Chrome and will not reload tabs? This is my only gripe with both, if they didn't do that I'd be very happy.

ALL will reload tabs except for Opera Mini. It's only the latter that has significantly lower memory requirements.

Regrettably, Opera Mini tends to load quite a bit slower over fast networks than traditional browsers. It also has very bad scripting / AJAX support, which means you'll have a hard time reading, say, the comment section of an article.

All in all, don't bother with trying to find a Web browser w/o tab reloading. With 1GB of RAM and UIWebView's consuming even hundreds of Megabytes of RAM to load larger pages on a Retina iPad, you simply can't avoid tab reloading. "Thank" Apple for not delivering the latest iPads with more than 1GB of RAM...

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
This is default behavior to save RAM - How many tabs do you have open?

FWIW - If you have multiple tabs open with form information it's not going to store that information for security reasons as well. You may as well go the Android route - though, I'm not sure things will be different re tabs refreshing (My Nexus 7s did that when I had multiple tabs open)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
FWIW - If you have multiple tabs open with form information it's not going to store that information for security reasons as well.

I'm afraid you're mistaken - by default, Safari doesn't close / clean tabs where the user has started to enter info into forms, not even when the given page is https or has specific anti-cache metadata. I've just tested this with both non-secure and secure pages with partial form entry; also, with the latter, I checked no-cache pages too. No tab kills under iOS7.x. Neither did Safari clean the already-entered text, not even from password fields.

In Safari, all form unloads are "just" part of killing web pages to release memory (as happens with usual, non-form pages), regardless of the page's content.

sundragon

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Washington, DC
I'm afraid you're mistaken - by default, Safari doesn't close / clean tabs where the user has started to enter info into forms, not even when the given page is https or has specific anti-cache metadata. I've just tested this with both non-secure and secure pages with partial form entry; also, with the latter, I checked no-cache pages too. No tab kills under iOS7.x. Neither did Safari clean the already-entered text, not even from password fields.

In Safari, all form unloads are "just" part of killing web pages to release memory (as happens with usual, non-form pages), regardless of the page's content.

Got ya!

If I understood his question correctly: Safari wipes data in forms that are in the background. Meaning - I open a tab with a form, partially fill the form, move on open another tab/go to another app and come back to Safari and the tab with the form (and data) are wiped.

This is a RAM saving feature not a direct result of not having enough RAM - It's the way Safari on iOS manages it's tabs. I would like to see a memory usage of the device when this happens.

FWIW, I've had my Nexus 7s (2012/13) do the same thing when I left tabs in the background. He should sell his Air and buy an Android device and see if he's got a better experience. I bought my Air and sold (2013)/gave away (2012) my Nexus 7s because I wasn't satisfied with my usage. Not trying to sound like a tool but the best way to tell a company their products suck is to stop buying/supporting them. Apple is no different from Google/Android mobile manufacturer.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Thanks a mill for the replies guys! :)

I think the reloading is less about safari having issues and more about available ram, which is why chrome is doing the same thing.

Yep this seems very true indeed, as even Coast is now reloading, although it seems to hold tabs much longer in memory, I'm guessing it has a smaller memory footprint than Safari and Chrome.

I have tried nearly every browser that has been released, and am pretty picky about details, yet Mercury is the only browser that has replaced Safari for me long term. What about it don't you like?

For me, it feels more like a desktop browser than most, and the interface is minimalist enough that it just gets out of the way. I like that I can keep in sync with all my other browsers regardless of platform. I can customize gestures to make navigation much simpler. And most important, it can keep 8-10 tabs reliably open without crashing or reloading.

Maybe I should give Mercury another go, I don't know, I just find it a tad less fluid to use than Safari, but I'll give it another go and tinker with it a bit.

ALL will reload tabs except for Opera Mini. It's only the latter that has significantly lower memory requirements.

Regrettably, Opera Mini tends to load quite a bit slower over fast networks than traditional browsers. It also has very bad scripting / AJAX support, which means you'll have a hard time reading, say, the comment section of an article.

All in all, don't bother with trying to find a Web browser w/o tab reloading. With 1GB of RAM and UIWebView's consuming even hundreds of Megabytes of RAM to load larger pages on a Retina iPad, you simply can't avoid tab reloading. "Thank" Apple for not delivering the latest iPads with more than 1GB of RAM...

Indeed, the RAM given to these Retina iPads is laughable, it's really hindering an otherwise great experience in most other things.

This is default behavior to save RAM - How many tabs do you have open?

FWIW - If you have multiple tabs open with form information it's not going to store that information for security reasons as well. You may as well go the Android route - though, I'm not sure things will be different re tabs refreshing (My Nexus 7s did that when I had multiple tabs open)

I open around 4-5 tabs on average, I like to read a lot about Cars, Tech and Digital Marketing (my profession), so I have multiple tabs open all the time.
On my Galaxy S4 I can keep around 7tavs open, but that's a phone with 2GB RAM and an OS that is meant for multitasking I guess.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I'm still using Coast by Opera, still getting used to it, but two things I'm loving so far is how fluid it is and how resource friendly it is, seems to be a very frugal app on memory and battery, the latter is something I also liked in Safari, will give iCab a go though :)

kipnosky

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2010
I was happy with Atomic for a long while but without any updates it fell behind. Switched to Mercury and I am quite impressed with its clean looks but mostly the gestures work well for me.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I'm still enjoying Coast, but it is not without annoyances, I will give Mercury another go. One thing Safari needs that Chrome, Coast and even Mercury has is Data Compression. I often use my iPad 4 on LTE if I'm away from home, and the faster the data speeds the more I browse, lol, that's not good for my data balance.

Last edited:

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
iCab or Mercury you can't go wrong with either since their recent updates. Take a few mins and go through the settings and tweak things and you have a nice browser.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Posting this from Mercury, before I opened it I did an update to it, it seems to be running a lot faster than before, it also has all my bookmarks from Safari, great start :D
Liking it so far, I'm going to keep it in my dock for a few days and use it as my main browser for a few days, see how it goes, don't know what put me off it last time to be quite honest but for a long time I just avoided using it.

Jack Tripper

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
I switched from Safari to Mercury because it skips the WSJ.com popup banner. But Mercury crashes often (I usually have 6-8 tabs open) so I'm looking for another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.