Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgiera

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
Hello,
Currently, I'm running a apple tv 3 to my IMac.

I have built a htpc because I ran out of room to house my 10 tb of movies and I would like them all to be in ITunes. All the files are in the ITunes format.

I have put all of my movies on the new HTPC (windows 7), onto the 4 separate hard drives (one hard drive is A-E, one hard drive is F-L, one hard drive is M-S and one had drive is T-Z), but wanted to know what my next steps are to load those movies into ITunes, have home sharing available for all computers to watch these movies, and work through my apple tv connected to my tv.

Since I have movies on four separate hard drives, do I need to so something with the advanced tab so they don't load into my hard drive that house the operation system?

I just want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing and don't screw up. If anyone has an easier way, please let me know.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Yes, on Advanced, make sure "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" are both un-checked. Then, iTunes will leave the files in place and let you use own organizational scheme.

Once you've loaded the library, just enable Home Sharing, and that should be it.

Last edited:

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
The down side, of course, is that by taking on responsibility for organizing the library, you're on the hook for keeping it organized manually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.