Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slink01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I'm running my first backup of my iMac using Time Machine to a Synology NAS with alocated space (bootcamp excluded and not running any virtual machines). The problem I am having is that the amount of data supposedly being backed up keeps increasing while the progress bar seems to stay in one place, with Time Machine unable to give a calculated time remaining. This started after around 20 hours of backup that seemed to be progressing fine and has now been continuing for the past few hours. Initial estimate was approximately 750gb and now it is showing 870gb with no sign of stopping. Is this normal for a first backup? ie, Time Machine just has trouble giving a proper estimate for data and time of backup? I have seen other mentions of this problem, but none that really give a straight answer.

slink01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Its a synology DS411j with the latest DSM

----------

twenty hours is excessive, even for a first backup.
This may help: Fix Time Machine When Stuck on “Preparing Backup” in Mac OS X

Unfortunately this doesn't help - the backup gets way past that stage, the progress bar gets to approximately 90% and the estimated time actually hits - but after that the amount of data supposedly to be transferred rises in line with amount of data being transferred. For instance "750gb of 850gb transferred" and then half an hour later "800gb of 900gb transferred".

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
It still might be worthwhile to try the starting over procedure as outlined in the article. Clearly something went wrong the first time. The problem might not repeat if you clean up and start over as described.

slink01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Thanks for the help so far - unfortunately following the instructions above has not solved the problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Bruizerboy

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2015
Time machine not completing - data increasing

I'm having the same issue now. 1st backup I've done. My Macbook pro is 750GB and had 37Gb free, but currently the backup is 850Gb and the size to be backed up has increased to 935Gb so far and both keep growing.

Really need a viable solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.