Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Getting myself all confused about iWork document sharing via iCloud.

Just for me, everything works fine, my iWork documents are accessible & editable on my iMac, iPad and iPhone and via icloud.com, no problems there, everything works great.

When I send a shared link to a friend via iMessage, on his Macbook if he selects the link he opens the shared file on iCloud.com and on his iPad he's prompted to use a Mac/PC to access icloud.com or to download a standalone copy to his device.

My questions is, can I share a document so that my friend can work on it using the iWork app (Numbers in this case) installed on his Macbook, or can he ONLY edit it on the icloud.com website?

Thanks.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Currently, the only way a person with whom you've shared an iCloud document can edit that document (and the two of you can work on it simultaneously) is within the iCloud web interface.

Alternatively, that person could download a copy of the document you shared, which would allow them to edit it on OS X apps, iOS apps or iCloud interface and then share that edited copy back to you (via email, iCloud document shared link, Dropbox, etc.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.