PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro?

arn
Jan 10, 2006, 10:52 PM
Everyone want the MacBook Pro 15 to be a seperate article? Is that even an official name?

Ever since the guides started I've been torn about how the models should be split.

If MacBook Pro 15 is not an offical Apple name, can we keep it under MacBook Pro until we find out what's down the pipe? Anyone have thoughts about this?

arn

G5Unit
Jan 10, 2006, 10:53 PM
I would put it and the iMac in it's own INTEL catagory.

kretzy
Jan 10, 2006, 10:57 PM
I think just leave it as MacBook Pro, then if/when different models come out the names can be changed to incorporate screen sizes, can't they?

mainstreetmark
Jan 10, 2006, 11:21 PM
Please yes. Let's not get into being a Mac Database website trying to list every feature of every mac ever released on it's own page. There should be a "MacBook" page with the various features listed, with perhaps a note about a feature being limited to a certain model (ex, backlit keyboards not avail on 12" PB). When the next generation comes out, the current generation page can be moved to "MacBooks (rev1)", and the article completely rewritten to reflect the new generation.

We already have a "PowerBook" article which is nearly useless, since it's just a collection of links to unwritten articles about every powerbook ever made. In this case "PowerBook" should point to the current generation, and have links to previous ones in maybe a ==See Also==, for things like the PowerBook 100 (or an article/category titled "Previous Powerbook Generations").

Right now, there are forty "PowerBook" articles, with the main "PowerBook" article just being a list of dead links. And mine (the 17"/1.33GHz) isn't even listed.

----
edit: To further my point, the crosslink template lists just major models: PowerBook 603 | PowerBook G3 | PowerBook G4 (Titanium) | PowerBook G4 (Aluminum) | MacBook Pro | iBook G3 (Clamshell) |iBook G3 (White) | iBook G4

THOSE should be the only main articles in circulation, thus avoiding the long, and confusing, list of notebook articles to sort through.

So, "PowerBook G4 (Aluminum)" should probably be the only article for this particular notebook, since they're all pretty much the same (processor speeds, backlighting, resolution, and scrollpad are perhaps the only differences, and do not warrant duplicating all the common information into 5 different aluminum powerbook articles)

arn
Jan 11, 2006, 12:34 AM
I agree... prefer it to NOT be a database - like approach. Those exist.

arn

Mechcozmo
Jan 11, 2006, 06:47 PM
So, "PowerBook G4 (Aluminum)" should probably be the only article for this particular notebook, since they're all pretty much the same (processor speeds, backlighting, resolution, and scrollpad are perhaps the only differences, and do not warrant duplicating all the common information into 5 different aluminum powerbook articles)

Holy crap you're right... it is still an Aluminum PowerBook but not a G4 Powerbook.... I'm gonna get to work on some changes, making it "PowerBook (Aluminum)" with sections for G4 and Intel. Wait and watch the majik.

MacBook Pro CD 15 is a part of the PowerBook (Aluminum) page now. But need ideas for a new XXXXBook (Aluminum) page. Just a redirect maybe?

arn
Jan 12, 2006, 10:20 AM
I'm still not too keen on splitting this page this early. it doesn't acutally make things easier. there's no clutter on the main page.

also, do we know what the official name of this prodcut is?

arn

emw
Jan 12, 2006, 10:37 AM
The official name is MacBook Pro; at least, that's what you order when you go to the website.

Edit: I took the liberty of modifying the graphics section as follows:

Graphics Chip: ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128 MB (MA090LL) or 256 MB (MA091LL) GDDR3 memory

The RAM on the X1600 is not a BTO option, as far as I can see. Did I miss something?

As for the title, I'm assuming "CD" is for Core Duo. Is there a reason for including that as opposed to just going with the official "MacBook Pro" name?

Wes Jordan
Jan 12, 2006, 06:00 PM
I agree, the "CD" needs to be left out, it took me a while to understand what it was referencing to because I could only think that it stood for CD drive, which it most certainly doesnt have.

Nermal
Jan 12, 2006, 06:06 PM
also, do we know what the official name of this prodcut is?

I don't know about the MacBook, but the new iMac is "iMac (Early 2006)".

Mechcozmo
Jan 12, 2006, 06:37 PM
I agree, the "CD" needs to be left out, it took me a while to understand what it was referencing to because I could only think that it stood for CD drive, which it most certainly doesnt have.

Core Duo, in reference to the processor. If it changes in the future, it will be an easier way to keep track of. I tried to hide it in the wiki-URL links so that it won't confuse people but there isn't a nice G3, G4, G5 identifier to use.

I'd say to split it early to establish guidelines then later on reap the reward of not having to move pages, make new ones, etc. This design (current) lets us add a Rev. B, Rev. C, etc. without us saying "We will make a new page for you to fill in." Plus we don't need a page per revision; the current page will work until the MacBook replacement.

Wes Jordan
Jan 12, 2006, 08:13 PM
Core Duo, in reference to the processor. If it changes in the future, it will be an easier way to keep track of. I tried to hide it in the wiki-URL links so that it won't confuse people but there isn't a nice G3, G4, G5 identifier to use.

I'd say to split it early to establish guidelines then later on reap the reward of not having to move pages, make new ones, etc. This design (current) lets us add a Rev. B, Rev. C, etc. without us saying "We will make a new page for you to fill in." Plus we don't need a page per revision; the current page will work until the MacBook replacement.

I think it is a good idea to have separate pages, but it took me a few seconds to figure out that the CD was refering to Core Duo. Perhaps we shouldn't abbriviate this, as someone who is reading this article likely is doing so because they don't know much about the Core Duo or Intel or MacBooks. Just my measly one cent:)

Mechcozmo
Jan 13, 2006, 12:45 AM
I think it is a good idea to have separate pages, but it took me a few seconds to figure out that the CD was refering to Core Duo. Perhaps we shouldn't abbriviate this, as someone who is reading this article likely is doing so because they don't know much about the Core Duo or Intel or MacBooks. Just my measly one cent:)

Yeah, I didn't mean for the page title to show up like that. I wanted the CD to be more in the background. :-\ I guess it would be OK to make it "MacBook Pro CoreDuo 15" but i was trying to make it as short as possible...

wasimyaqoob
Jan 13, 2006, 06:37 PM
MacBook Pro sounds awful just as well as the Intel cpu is awful

Should of kept PowerPC and Powerbook :D

Mechcozmo
Jan 14, 2006, 11:27 PM

Your complaint has been duly noted. However, Apple doesn't seem to care about you and the wiki requires correct information.

Therefore, your complaint does not matter in respect to this thread.

Wes Jordan
Jan 19, 2006, 07:54 PM

THAT
WAS
A
WASTE
OF
EVERYONE'S
TIME
AND
FORUM
SPACE
(just like this was)

It's happening, get over it. They are faster. Why is it bad.

On another note, it is just me or does it seem that the MB Pro CD seperate page is overly focused on comparing its percieved "downfalls" to the G4 Powerbook?

Anonymous Freak
Jan 29, 2006, 12:29 PM
On another note, it is just me or does it seem that the MB Pro CD seperate page is overly focused on comparing its percieved "downfalls" to the G4 Powerbook?

Fixed. Added the comment that the reduction in resolution actually fixes the aspect ratio.

(The 15" PowerBook has always had an odd 3:2 aspect ratio, all other Apple widescreen displays have been at 16:10.)