PDA

View Full Version : no new iPod shuffle...

KKKL
Jan 10, 2006, 11:10 PM
no new iPod shuffle...

drater
Jan 10, 2006, 11:13 PM
yeah, i thought for sure they would have had a new one...especially when jobs started talking about ipod sales and he showed a picture of the nano and video but not the shuffle....any mac events coming up soon?

~Shard~
Jan 10, 2006, 11:19 PM
Never fear, there are always subsequent updates announced by Apple following MWSF. Expect to see new products throughout January and February, probably including something pertaining to the shuffle as well as new displays.

2nyRiggz
Jan 10, 2006, 11:21 PM
oh well maybe next time we will see an update.

Bless

kretzy
Jan 10, 2006, 11:35 PM
They'll do something with it eventually, though I'm not sure how they could improve it.

Enterprise8875
Jan 10, 2006, 11:37 PM
I think it would be cool if they merged the shuffle and the apple remote. They have almost all the same buttons and it would just be cool lol.

drater
Jan 11, 2006, 12:00 AM
They'll do something with it eventually, though I'm not sure how they could improve it.
a screen maybe...

Bubbasteve
Jan 11, 2006, 12:12 AM
Well if you noticed at the end of the event Jobs mentioned the upcoming 30th anniversary and he said something along the lines of "I don't know what we'll do in celebration" but I'm banking in between now and then you will see a new shuffle...and a Powermac/iBook ;)

kretzy
Jan 11, 2006, 12:35 AM
a screen maybe...
I suppose that's possible, it'd be one small screen.

kansasonmymind
Jan 11, 2006, 01:01 PM
I waited to see if there was a new Shuffle because I was thinking of buying a shuffle to fit into that fancy Orbino precious metal shuffle case (http://www.orbino.com/store/index.php?$sid&cPath=77_85). I already own Orbino case for the iPod Video, but I've had my eye on the crocodile case for the shuffle.

http://www.orbino.com/store/product_thumb.php?img=images/8309Shfle_croc.jpg&w=360&h=262

Marky_Mark
Jan 11, 2006, 01:22 PM
Well if you noticed at the end of the event Jobs mentioned the upcoming 30th anniversary and he said something along the lines of "I don't know what we'll do in celebration" but I'm banking in between now and then you will see a new shuffle...and a Powermac/iBook ;)

1. Special edition 30th Anniversary Macintosh (no, really?!) - though hopefully representing a case-study in how to rock the world and not an underpowered, over-priced, propped up lappie like the 20th Anniversary model :rolleyes:

2. Commemorative blinged-up iPod - Apple's best selling product ever and now completely synonymous with the company and it's values - ruby-encrusted to mark 30 years :D

Counterfit
Jan 11, 2006, 01:36 PM
I waited to see if there was a new Shuffle because I was thinking of buying a shuffle to fit into that fancy Orbino precious metal shuffle case (http://www.orbino.com/store/index.php?$sid&cPath=77_85). I already own Orbino case for the iPod Video, but I've had my eye on the crocodile case for the shuffle.

http://www.orbino.com/store/product_thumb.php?img=images/8309Shfle_croc.jpg&w=360&h=262
I think of better things to do with that $50.
Like, buy me lunch. :p

mrkgoo
Jan 11, 2006, 02:15 PM
It'd be neat if the new shuffle were the same width as an USB port, but used the same design as the nano/video iPod ... you know, the black or white plastic with transparent outer - all witht eh same design as the current shuffle.

jholzner
Jan 11, 2006, 09:49 PM
I wonder if Apple had originally planned to intro a new shuffle at MacWorld but due to the stronger than expected demand for the nanos and even stronger than expected demand for the shuffle itself they had to hold off the introduction and use the flash memory to catch up on Nano orders rather than intro a new suffle that would most likely be very popular and eat up a lot of flash memory stock. Better to have one popular product catch up and be in stock than two that you can't keep up with.

Alasta
Jan 11, 2006, 10:26 PM
Does anyone know how sales volumes of the Shuffle compare with other iPod models?

I can't help wondering whether the Shuffle has a future at all because, with flash memory prices decreasing all the time, I expect that Apple will soon be able to lower the price of the 2Gb Nano to be very close to the price of the 1Gb Shuffle. They could then move the 4Gb model into the 2Gb model's current price point, and release a larger model (perhaps 6Gb or 8Gb) to fill the gap in the middle of the range.

corywoolf
Jan 11, 2006, 11:24 PM
Does anyone know how sales volumes of the Shuffle compare with other iPod models?

I can't help wondering whether the Shuffle has a future at all because, with flash memory prices decreasing all the time, I expect that Apple will soon be able to lower the price of the 2Gb Nano to be very close to the price of the 1Gb Shuffle. They could then move the 4Gb model into the 2Gb model's current price point, and release a larger model (perhaps 6Gb or 8Gb) to fill the gap in the middle of the range.
Thats what I was thinking too. I read somewhere else (can't remember) about the possibility of the following line up:

512 MB Shuffle = $69.99
2 GB Nano= $129.99
4 GB Nano= $179.99
8 GB Nano= $249.99
30 GB iPod= $299.99
60 GB iPod= $399.99

BlueT
Jan 11, 2006, 11:34 PM
I expect that Apple will soon be able to lower the price of the 2Gb Nano to be very close to the price of the 1Gb Shuffle. They could then move the 4Gb model into the 2Gb model's current price point, and release a larger model (perhaps 6Gb or 8Gb) to fill the gap in the middle of the range.

Not a chance. If you've been watching their entire store carefully, you'll notice that Apple is using an old marketing strategy to sell their products: either/or. All their products are slowly being setup as two competing models within each range. Two shuffles; two nanos, two ipods, two mac minis, two ibooks, two imacs, two mac book pros. Further, each iPod fits a particular nitch that doesn't even come close to encroaching upon the other nitch, which allows people to buy multiple products for multiple uses. For instance, i buy a shuffle for jogging, nano for everyday use, ipod video for movies.

They're attempting to convince their customers that they don't need just one product; they need a few. Further, with only two "opposing" options, people will make a decision faster. Democrat or Republican. Pepsi or Coke. Black or white. And so on... It's an interesting strategy that seems to be working. But one thing is for sure: they will not attempt to mix product types (hence: no nano for $129). Further, they will not release the 6 gig nano for quite a while because they're using 2 2GB sticks for the nano and fitting a third is probably physically impossible and the 3-4 GB sticks don't seem to be on the market yet (not even close).

watcher2001
Jan 11, 2006, 11:34 PM
Thats what I was thinking too. I read somewhere else (can't remember) about the possibility of the following line up:

512 MB Shuffle = $69.99
2 GB Nano= $129.99
4 GB Nano= $179.99
8 GB Nano= $249.99
30 GB iPod= $299.99
60 GB iPod= $399.99

Given that flash memory is dropping so drastically I would find it more realistic to make the 1GB shuffle $89.99 and get rid of the 512MB. I guess it will all boil down to profit margins.

the 3-4 GB sticks don't seem to be on the market yet (not even close).

Closer than you might think..

KKKL
Jan 12, 2006, 08:02 AM
They could then move the 4Gb model into the 2Gb model's current price point, and release a larger model (perhaps 6Gb or 8Gb) to fill the gap in the middle of the range.
I have the same idea
And i think the new model will come with video playback

Motley
Jan 12, 2006, 09:32 AM
1. Special edition 30th Anniversary Macintosh (no, really?!) - though hopefully representing a case-study in how to rock the world and not an underpowered, over-priced, propped up lappie like the 20th Anniversary model :rolleyes:

Don't forget delivered by limo and setup for you:)

Marky_Mark
Jan 12, 2006, 07:01 PM
Don't forget delivered by limo and setup for you:)

I'll have the job of riding in the limo and doing the closed-eyes-one-hand-tied-behind-your-back no-brainer set-ups for all the poor little rich kids. Talk about money for old rope.

Then I'd be able to use the things and tire of them without having to shell out 10 thousand bucks for the experience! :D

j2r110
Jan 12, 2006, 09:35 PM
i heard that they might take the shuffle and put a screen on it. i dont think that they will though because that denies the whole point of the shuffle.:confused: well i couldnt care cus i have my video ipod...