Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Hi,

I am considering buying either the "Power Support Air Jacket" and/or the "Smart Case" for my iPad rMini. They both have a sleek look, provide protection for the back, sides and top and are lightweight.

I am on the fence as to which one to get and would appreciate any feedback/comments from members who have chosen one of these two items. Thanks!

rcw2012

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
Hi,

I am considering buying either the "Power Support Air Jacket" and/or the "Smart Case" for my iPad rMini. They both have a sleek look, provide protection for the back, sides and top and are lightweight.

I am on the fence as to which one to get and would appreciate any feedback/comments from members who have chosen one of these two items. Thanks!

I know your asking about the iPad Mini but if it helps I had the iPad Air black Smart case initially but only kept it for a couple of days before returning it to Apple. Just didn't like the extra bulk/weight it seemed to add and in particular that it completely covered up the iPad. I now have the clear Power Support Air Jacket Duet with a black Smart Cover and in my opinion it's a hundred times better. It's amazing quality and love that the iPad isn't hidden. Also comes with a great screen protector. The price of the Air jacket and Smart Cover was pretty much the same as the Smart Case too.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I know your asking about the iPad Mini but if it helps I had the iPad Air black Smart case initially but only kept it for a couple of days before returning it to Apple. Just didn't like the extra bulk/weight it seemed to add and in particular that it completely covered up the iPad. I now have the clear Power Support Air Jacket Duet with a black Smart Cover and in my opinion it's a hundred times better. It's amazing quality and love that the iPad isn't hidden. Also comes with a great screen protector. The price of the Air jacket and Smart Cover was pretty much the same as the Smart Case too.

Thank so much for you reply as it made it easier to choose between the two items. Btw,is the surface of the Power Support Air Jacket slippery? Thanks!

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Thank so much for you reply as it made it easier to choose between the two items. Btw,is the surface of the Power Support Air Jacket slippery? Thanks!

Yes. Not as slippery as the Speck Smart Shell, though. It's very thin, but don't expect a lot more protection than you would from any other thin plastic shell. The Smart Case is bulkier, but has the hard edges around the sides of the screen that might provide a buffer against an impact around the edges. But it does feel good in hand, at the cost of hiding the iPad and leaving it with a permanently attached lid versus the Smart Cover you could pair up with the Air Jacket.

Also, note the lack of button protection on the Air Jacket.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I have essentially both items. I have a Smart Cover/Incipio Smart Feather combo as well as a Smart Case. Both are really slim and quite light. I like having a matte finish to reduce slip.
My Pro/Con:
Smart Cover combo:
Pro: Synthetic so easy to clean. No exposed hinge sticking out on the side.
Con: Two parts

Smart Case:
Pro: Leather. Very soft all over--nice feel to hold
Con: Not fond of the hinge design, but works fine.

Just one other thought. If you like to read as much as I do, the Moshi Versacover option has the best Portrait mode I have ever had. Also includes a metal insert in the back for the maget to hold to. Just wish they had some other color options, but the Blue is OK.

Regarding weights, here are some comparisons. Some are published, some I weighed at home (click to enlarge)

Weights_zps063a3c0a.jpg

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I bought the Power Support Air Jacket with a Smart Cover for my rMini a couple of days ago and I love it. It doesn't add that much bulk to my iPad; just feels perfect enough for me to know that the surface is protected. I like this combo better than the Smart Case that I bought with my rMini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.