PDA

View Full Version : Is Now The Time To Buy A G5 2.0 Dual Core?




Rambo66
Jan 11, 2006, 12:14 AM
I've been wanting to buy a G5 for a while now but people always tell me "wait for.........." thinking the price is gonna come down. So now, Mac Expo is almost over, they announced the Intels......Should I jump in just by a 2.0 G5 Dual Core? I don't care much about waiting for the Intel G5's, I do care about the possibility of them lowering the price. What do you guys think? Any chance the prices on a 2.0 G5 Dual Core is gonna change?

Thanks.



MacTruck
Jan 11, 2006, 12:15 AM
No!

Rambo66
Jan 11, 2006, 12:24 AM
No, now's not the time to buy or No, the prices aren't going to come down?

MacTruck
Jan 11, 2006, 12:29 AM
No, now's not the time to buy or No, the prices aren't going to come down?


No to both. Prices won't come down until months after the new powermacs are released. Look at the current powerbooks. And anyone buying a Powerpc mac right now is insane unless you absolutely need one. And if thats the case get a refurb. You can get a dual 2.7ghz for $2150 at the apple store. Thats a deal. I am getting that dual 2.7 when it drops to $1499 though. Yeah! Then I'm getting the quad when it hits that price as well. Double yeah!

That said you can get a dual 2ghz powermac from there for $1499. Deal of a lifetime. Go for it.

jamesi
Jan 11, 2006, 12:42 AM
i would strongly disagree wity any notion of buying a G5. Even though these machines are powerful and exceptional at computating everything right now, when intel versions come out they will blow the old G5s out of the water. a single core intel processor is faster than the G5s shipping in iMacs, and with a dual core its somewhere like 2.3x as fast. if you bought a G5 now you would be happy but when those intels come out you will regret not waiting a tad. if you absolutely need a new mac now then buy a high end powermac G4 off of ebay b/c they are cheap or if you have one already and its old just get a processor upgrade from sonnet or OWC.

Rambo66
Jan 11, 2006, 12:48 AM
I've been waiting for a long long time to buy a Mac. I have the money now and I want to get into the game. I'm going to be using this soley for audio recording with a 002R and I'm not the kind of guy who needs the latest and greatest. I just want something so I can start recording. This whole newest, latest and greatest starts to go round and round. Who knows when the Intel G5's are going to be available, then who knows.something else could be just around the corner. If you had the money for a 2.0 G5 Dual Core right now..what would you do? I want to end this endless waiting game already.

CanadaRAM
Jan 11, 2006, 01:51 AM
I've been waiting for a long long time to buy a Mac. I have the money now and I want to get into the game. I'm going to be using this soley for audio recording with a 002R and I'm not the kind of guy who needs the latest and greatest. I just want something so I can start recording. This whole newest, latest and greatest starts to go round and round. Who knows when the Intel G5's are going to be available, then who knows.something else could be just around the corner. If you had the money for a 2.0 G5 Dual Core right now..what would you do? I want to end this endless waiting game already.
If you rely on using proprietary software or hardware that the manufacturer has not declared Rosetta compatibilty for, (or runs in Classic) you should absolutely buy the G5 PowerMac. It may be months (or years, see Quark Xpress prior upgrade history as an example) before you are back in production on a Intel Mac.

(and in fact, if you were using proprietary hardware like the ProTools HD system you should be scrambling right now to buy up the last of the PCI-x PowerMacs.)

Ask your critical hardware and software vendors for a definitive statement, then decide.

MacRumorUser
Jan 11, 2006, 05:21 AM
If you rely on using proprietary software or hardware that the manufacturer has not declared Rosetta compatibilty for, (or runs in Classic) you should absolutely buy the G5 PowerMac. It may be months (or years, see Quark Xpress prior upgrade history as an example) before you are back in production on a Intel Mac.

(and in fact, if you were using proprietary hardware like the ProTools HD system you should be scrambling right now to buy up the last of the PCI-x PowerMacs.)

Ask your critical hardware and software vendors for a definitive statement, then decide.

Yeah but the big surprise is that Quark already have a Beta Native version available... :eek: That shocked me in the keynote... Won't be long before Adobe release a patch for CS2 for improved intel peformance, and shortly after CS3 with full native/universal performance...

Other Pro Apps by March, with cheap $49 upgrade cost for Final Cut...

This is nothing like the switch from os9 to osX

By March the iMac Dual Core could feasibly be nativly faster than the Dual 2.3 Powermac....