Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benpasternakau

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Hello everyone,

So this year I really got into iOS development so I am keen to get a scholarship. Thought we could all talk ideas and tips on here.

So who's applying?

- Ben.

AlexDonkeey

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014
Hi Ben & Everyone else ,

I am most definitely applying. And I really hope I am successful.
This year it is 200 spaces available so hopefully higher chance, but I can guarantee that more people will be applying. This will be my first year applying so I am a bit nervous.
I have been learning Obj-C for about a year and hope that I have enough skill to make it in.
No more than two minutes before writing this post I went back and read through the entire thread for the 2013 scholarship. And wow, so much fun reading it and seeing people progression in the process. It was so intense when people were waiting for the emails and I hope people who were rejected are happy that the time has finally come back around to apply again and I know there are some well deserving people who should make it in this year. I wasn't completely familiar with the scholarship last year and only looked over it breifly as I was just getting into iOS Development but this year and look forward to having the chance to get in, and even from looking at the thread from last year, the application process looks like a great experience in itself. I hope to talk to some great people as the next few weeks unravel in the application process, see some of the other peoples work and hopefully see what some other peoples experiences were like last year at WWDC

This is a very long post, my apologies if people find it annoying, sort of just kept typing
Anyway, Hi Everyine & GOOD LUCK :)

edekhayser

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014
As soon as I saw the page go up, I was thinking: "It's time." I shouldn't expect to win the scholarship, but I would be extremely disappointed if I do not win the scholarship. I have worked so hard to learn, and I really hope it pays off. Good luck to all. Can't wait until (hopefully) we can all see each other in San Francisco June 2nd.

One thing I have noticed- I am extremely nervous. And excited.

AlexDonkeey

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014
Yeah I am pretty nervous too.

Just for fun I calculated how many hours until final deadline

-- 212 Hours

Hopefully enough time to make a good enough quality app

School holidays just started today for me, so I have two weeks of free time, lucky timing. Non stop hacking

:)

edekhayser

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014
Why'd you do it... Don't rush me!
My vacation doesn't start until the 14th, so it doesn't help at all...

alexandermac18

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2013
United Kingdom
Hope everyone is getting on ok with their apps for the scholarship. Just a quick question, what exactly are you saying for when they ask for "your educational and professional background"? I assumed you would just say that your in secondary education and how you managed to learn Objective-C, but is there anything else you would add? Thanks.

Programmer421

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
WWDC Requirement

This is my first time creating an app for this scholarship. I am looking forward to WWDC. However, I don't know if you can use SpriteKit to create an app about yourself or whether you have to use xib files and IBAction and IBOutlet. Are you allowed to use SpriteKit ? Anyone who won this scholarship giving me advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. NSLog("Good Luck Everyone!");

AlexDonkeey

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2014
Hope everyone is getting on ok with their apps for the scholarship. Just a quick question, what exactly are you saying for when they ask for "your educational and professional background"? I assumed you would just say that your in secondary education and how you managed to learn Objective-C, but is there anything else you would add? Thanks.

Yeah, just write a summary of what you are doing at school, subjects etc., maybe any major achievements and for professional background, just state your progression with learning to create apps, how to started, why you started and how you have progressed to where you are know. That is sort of what I am doing

----------

This is my first time creating an app for this scholarship. I am looking forward to WWDC. However, I don't know if you can use SpriteKit to create an app about yourself or whether you have to use xib files and IBAction and IBOutlet. Are you allowed to use SpriteKit ? Anyone who won this scholarship giving me advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You. NSLog("Good Luck Everyone!");

I have not done the scholarship yet, but from researching I believe you can do any form of app as long as it shows the content they are looking for and it must be written in Objective C. I am almost certain Sprite Kit would be alright, I myself am not using it but if anyone else is able to share their opinion on the matter, feel free :)

Programmer421

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
SpriteKit API

Ok, anyone else who is or has done the scholarship can tell me if I can use sprite kit to present myself. SKScene and so forth. I am registered as a developer over a year and a half, but my iOS program expired. Do I have to purchase it again to apply and upload my app as a zip file ? Thx for everything. 1010101010101010101

Programmer421

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
What can I use and what to use

Are you using UIKit for your scholarship app or UIButton,UITableViews and so forth. Just want to make sure I am doing this right. Nervous a bit. :confused:

jackintosh7

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2014
I will be going out for the scholarship this year, I'm 15 it will be my first year doing so. Best of luck to you all! :)

jackintosh7

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2014
Are you using UIKit for your scholarship app or UIButton,UITableViews and so forth. Just want to make sure I am doing this right. Nervous a bit. :confused:

Theres no right or wrong just be creative, make an app that represents you and shows your technical skills. Just be creative and see what you come up with :)

matisDS

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2014
Belgium
submitted

Hello

I just submitted my app for the WWDC scholarship.
They say they will inform me on the 28th of april.
Good luck to all!

Matis

JafarH

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
WWDC 2014 Student Scholarship Thread

So as you guys know, its that time of year again where we all make apps and send them to Apple in hopes of winning a scholarship.

Note that the deadline is tomorrow at 5:00PM PDT.

Last year I was rejected, so this year I hope I get accepted.

So we'll use this thread like the previous last year's thread and keep each other updated and whatnot.

Good Luck to All! :D

JafarH

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
Error

I'm trying to submit my app, and the page loads as if its sending, and it just brings me back to the previous page without saying anything. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I'm worried that I'll pass the deadline and won't be able to submit. I WORKED SO HARD ON IT! :(

JafarH

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
Good news. My app has been sent. Turns out my PDF file for school proof was 7.2mb. The max is 5mb, what a silly mistake. But thank god it's been sent.

Good luck to all! Deadline is in less than 3 hours.

tubtub

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Hi Guys,

I submitted my app and got the success screen. Should I get an email confirmation additionally?

Thanks.

aarongrider

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
Just submitted my app!!! It's my first complete iOS project! (Though I've done a tone of computer programming in the past). Even if I don't get it, I still feel like I accomplished something! I'm starting to get nervous for the results already though... :(

tubtub

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Just submitted my app!!! It's my first complete iOS project! (Though I've done a tone of computer programming in the past). Even if I don't get it, I still feel like I accomplished something! I'm starting to get nervous for the results already though... :(

Congrats!
I'm getting pretty nervous as well. However, we got two weeks let :D

Did you receive a confirmation e-mail?

aarongrider

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
Nope, did not get a confirmation. I know it went through though because when I tired to apply again it said they already got my submission.

Programmer421

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
Noooooooo

I was submitting my app, but it took too long and got an error. Now it's past the deadline :(. Is there anything I can do ?

JafarH

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
I was submitting my app, but it took too long and got an error. Now it's past the deadline :(. Is there anything I can do ?

Unfortunately no, because if you look at the rules and guidelines it says that apple isn't responsible for the submissions and isn't responsible for any electronic errors.

I'm extremely sorry to hear that bro. I'm imagining myself in your shoes, I'd probably be ripping my hair out in anger.

JafarH

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
Share?

Would anyone like to share what app they submitted?

The deadline has been met so you can't copy ideas.

aarongrider

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2014
My app was a series of "live" windows, one was a map, one a book, one a twitter feed, etc. They all previewed their content live and expand when tapped. I thought it was a pretty cool idea! The UI is great, it's my first app though, so I think I could have structured my code a little better. What did you all do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.