Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrEZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
I have a new mac mini with os 10.9. I an'r transfer any of my files to my new TOshiba Canviio Desk. When I press the info on the device it tells me that I can only read!!!!

i've tried almost everything.

I'm the administrator !!!!!!!

Please HELP me. I need to transfer all my old GoPro files to the new drive.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
That drive is probably in NTFS format.
And thats read only for mac, reformat it in disk utility.

Yes, it says this on Toshiba's site and probably says it in the docs that came with the drive.

COMPATIBILITY:
Formatted NTFS for Windows® XP, Windows Vista®, Windows® 7 or Windows® 8
Requires reformatting for Mac OS® X Tiger®, Leopard®, Snow Leopard® or Lion®

MrEZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2014
Funny. I have a smaller one, also Toshiba, that I had hooked up to the old mini where I have all my files and that one is also now not letting me do anything.

So, stupid question. How do I reformat the new one so that I can dump all my files on it?

Thanks for all the help

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Funny. I have a smaller one, also Toshiba, that I had hooked up to the old mini where I have all my files and that one is also now not letting me do anything.

So, stupid question. How do I reformat the new one so that I can dump all my files on it?

Thanks for all the help

Well, there should be no reason for the one that was working to suddenly stop working.

In any event, the Disk Utility app will allow you to repartition/reformat your drives. Just be careful because there's no (easy) way to undo changes you make there once applied.

jnachbar

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
Highlight the drive in a finder window and click on File-Get Info. There you will see near the bottom your "privileges" click on the lock and enter your password if it is locked. There you can add users and change privileges. I've noticed too every once in a while, I'm either not there or for some reason only have read privileges...you shouldn't have to reformat the drive if this is the problem.

Last edited:

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
That drive is probably in NTFS format.
And thats read only for mac, reformat it in disk utility.
He's right
Had the same problem
Format is as mac journal extended
Will work as a charm
Note: some games don't support the case-sensitive option

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
This can happen even if you have Paragon or Tuxera NTFS driver installed for full R/W/D NTFS access.

Solution for me is to add that NTFS partition to Spotlight Privacy list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.