Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
LOS ANGELES, Jan 10 (Reuters) - Call it the 21st Century watch pocket.

Denim giant Levi Strauss said on Tuesday it had designed jeans compatible with the iPod music player, featuring a joystick in the watch pocket to operate the device.

The Levi's RedWire DLX Jeans for men and women, which will be available this fall, also have a built-in docking cradle for the iPod and retractable headphones. The jeans are expected to carry a price tag of over $200, a company spokeswoman said.

Apple Computer Inc.'s iPod is the No. 1 digital music player. The company on Tuesday attributed a 63 percent jump in holiday quarter sales in part to the iPod's popularity and said 42 million of the devices have been sold to date.

Levi Strauss is not the first company to feature iPod-friendly apparel, although it believes it is the first to make iPod-compatible jeans.

Haute couture fashion houses began featuring pricey iPod carrying cases after the device's 2001 launch, while outdoor company Burton Snowboards unveiled what it called the first iPod-compatible waterproof snowboarding jacket in 2003.

Last fall, Los Angeles-based manufacturer Kenpo launched men's jackets selling at Macy's for between $275 and $350, featuring iPod controls on the sleeve.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
mikebatho said:
Al of my clothing is already ipod compatible. That's the whole point of it being so small & neat.

Maybe it's for the new, bigger, iPods Steve talked about in Super Secret Apple Rumors.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
dubbz said:
Maybe it's for the new, bigger, iPods Steve talked about in Super Secret Apple Rumors.

I can't wait for the iPod with the 10" screen.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
rdowns said:
Last fall, Los Angeles-based manufacturer Kenpo launched men's jackets selling at Macy's for between $275 and $350, featuring iPod controls on the sleeve.

Have iPod users officially turned into a nation of invalids to justify controls on the sleeve of a jacket? Next on the designer drawing board will be a small item placed on the back pocket so that scratching one's rear end will also result in the volume getting louder.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Deepdale said:
Have iPod users officially turned into a nation of invalids to justify controls on the sleeve of a jacket? Next on the designer drawing board will be a small item placed on the back pocket so that scratching one's rear end will also result in the volume getting louder.

I like it. Er, adjust yourself to the left and skip to the next song; adjust right and play previous song.

I would say they will be washable. The iPod controls will be removable.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
South Africa is only getting 120 pears of the Redwire, and ive been given the opportunity to sort of pre book one... the ipod loving, levi wearing lollypop is just dying to get one, but then the sane part of me is saying: "R1700 for a pear of jeans?!?!? You use your ipod in the gym mostly, cm'on, think about this, do you REALLY need something like this?"

Help me decide, I dont really need new jeans, and could use the money on something else, but it looks like such a cool item... and over here its (apparently) going to be collectable.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Lollypop said:
South Africa is only getting 120 pears of the Redwire, and ive been given the opportunity to sort of pre book one... the ipod loving, levi wearing lollypop is just dying to get one, but then the sane part of me is saying: "R1700 for a pear of jeans?!?!? You use your ipod in the gym mostly, cm'on, think about this, do you REALLY need something like this?"

Help me decide, I dont really need new jeans, and could use the money on something else, but it looks like such a cool item... and over here its (apparently) going to be collectable.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm definitely not getting it. R1700 is way too much. I'd rather buy more RAM for my MB;) :)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Can you imagine the poor clothes shop staff in the near future?

"I know my runners are compatible with my iPod, but I'm not sure about my trousers? Can I upgrade them if not?"

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
wbread5 said:
Does anyone have a picture of these? I'm surprised I'm the first to ask.

Try this page. The three smaller pictures around the middle of the page are actually thumbs, which lead to gigantical images.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
rdowns said:
featuring a joystick
This is news? My pants already have a joystick in them.

In any case, I suppose there will always be a market for useless gadgetry like this.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
atari1356 said:
Wow, a silly idea, with an even worse implementation.

These look really really bad:

http://www.bright.nl/upload/06/08/060810-ijeans-shoot2.jpg

What's with the white Levi's plastic box thing, that's almost as big as an iPod itself?

iPod + headphones = simplicity

iPod + headphones + funky jeans with joystick + another white box sticking out of your pants = a mess

that's the retractable headphones!! c'mon, retractable headphones, isn't that something everyone wants? I mean really, who has the time, ability, or desire to manually coil up their headphones, especially now that you can have this miniscule white box to do it for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.