Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
Firstly, an apology to those who think this is sacrilege! But I assure you this was a non working machine!

photo 1.JPG

It's now running mountain lion.
Specs are:
zotac 9300 motherboard
Core 2 quad 2.4
4gb ram
Geforce 9300 (overclocked to 9400 speeds)
Apple airport extreme

It's running a 640x480 8" lcd behind the original glass screen, but I've got a 1024x768 panel in the post. It's also got an imate adaptor built into the back port so I can use the original mouse and keyboard. I've got the 2 wifi antennae coming out of where the power switch was and 4 usb 2 ports coming out of the back disk drive and scsi port holes. I've wired up the original power button too.

What do you guys think?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Nice job! The fact that you got the original mouse and keyboard working as well completes the package.

Great work :)

I must get around to replacing the caps on my Classic II after my exams this summer!

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
That's great !!!! Got one of these ( also VERY dead ) .I've got all the parts save for a lcd panel , plus the knowledge of how to wire it into my motherboard . Bricked Apple cases are great to resurrect . I'm working on a Cube now . Did a G5 a few years back . Here's some pix of the G5 ...

wholething.jpg

rearquarter.jpg

insides1.jpg

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Excellent work! I have a mint G5 case that I also want to put my ATX PC into.

So much fun to be had this summer! :p

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Even better ! I had to spend maybe a week molding in the back of my G5 case so it looked somewhat factory .

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
bigeasy, that's a really tastefully done mod - well done! The inclusion of the built-in iMate adapter is a great addition. I have a little Mac Classic that sits on a shelf and runs screensavers, if it ever bites the dust I might have a go at this myself.

I realise that LCDs are far more practical and much easier to obtain, but my favourite compact Mac conversions are those that use a little 9" SVGA CRT monitor.

Your G5 case mod is also very tidy. :)

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
bigeasy, that's a really tastefully done mod - well done! The inclusion of the built-in iMate adapter is a great addition. I have a little Mac Classic that sits on a shelf and runs screensavers, if it ever bites the dust I might have a go at this myself.

I realise that LCDs are far more practical and much easier to obtain, but my favourite compact Mac conversions are those that use a little 9" SVGA CRT monitor.

Your G5 case mod is also very tidy. :)

Thanks a lot :)

I couldn't find a colour crt that would fit, they all seem to be longer than the mono crts. Have you got a link to one, or a mod that uses one? I'd love to be proven wrong!

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks a lot :)

I couldn't find a colour crt that would fit, they all seem to be longer than the mono crts. Have you got a link to one, or a mod that uses one? I'd love to be proven wrong!

I definitely recall seeing one years back, but I can't remember what site it was even on. The CRT neck was too long to fit in the Mac case, so they cut a hole in the back and epoxy'd part of the original monitor's housing to the Mac. I think they resprayed the entire thing afterwards - it actually looked quite good.

The colour monitors are nearly impossible to find, greyscale ones are fairly easy to come by - somebody's selling some on eBay for less than £15 delivered, I'm fairly temped to buy one! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181355578566

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
About a month ago that seller had 10 9" colour monitors too, while we were messaging about them one buyer bought the lot. Just down the road from me too. He measured them for me even though he'd sold them and none would fit anyway.

I remember seeing that mod, how he did it was good, it was tidy, but I didn't like it.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013
Love it! Very Very cool! The use of Chrome made me cringe :rolleyes: But if you like it then thats your choice. Is it a Hackintosh? Or is it a mac mini inside of it? Do you use it for normal work or is the display to small?

This is an edit
Sorry i just realized i bumped a thread thats 2 months old but i hope its okay. Another question, in the floppy drive thing, have you placed a cd reader/super drive in there?
Sorry if the Chrome comment came out as rude, i did not mean to be rude.

Last edited:

bigeasy_uk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Leamington Spa, England
Love it! Very Very cool! The use of Chrome made me cringe :rolleyes: But if you like it then thats your choice. Is it a Hackintosh? Or is it a mac mini inside of it? Do you use it for normal work or is the display to small?

This is an edit
Sorry i just realised i bumped a thread thats 2 months old but i hope its okay. Another question, in the floppy drive thing, have you placed a cd reader/super drive in there?
Sorry if the Chrome comment came out as rude, i did not mean to be rude.

No offence taken.

It's a hackintosh, I just made it for fun, it doesn't have much use, I've got a much more powerful desktop and a 15" rmbp.

I've got a HDD in the floppy bay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.