PDA

View Full Version : Old iMacs stay on sale

MacBytes
Jan 11, 2006, 08:33 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Old iMacs stay on sale (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060111093341)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mkubal
Jan 11, 2006, 09:08 AM
I find this to be very strange. You would expect a price drop at the very least. I suppose a choice between the two isn't bad, but what nut job will be buying the G5 at half the speed (according to Apple) and the same price? :confused:

kretzy
Jan 11, 2006, 09:11 AM
I find this to be very strange. You would expect a price drop at the very least. I suppose a choice between the two isn't bad, but what nut job will be buying the G5 at half the speed (according to Apple) and the same price? :confused:

One that needs to run PPC native programs. I expect a price drop in the coming weeks.

iMeowbot
Jan 11, 2006, 09:12 AM
but what nut job will be buying the G5 at half the speed (according to Apple) and the same price? :confused:
Probably the nut jobs who want to run more than iLife at a reasonable speed. :) It will be a while yet before there is much native Intel software.

mdavey
Jan 11, 2006, 09:17 AM

Education nut jobs that don't have the budget to crossgrade all their software or have a whole campus of PPC-based macs and want to add a few more machines to their network. Professional nut jobs that distrust rev.A product no matter who they are from.

danny_w
Jan 11, 2006, 09:21 AM
Any nut job that requires native PPC apps or OS9/Classic support, and any nut job that wants a problem-free computer without the risks associated with a Rev A Intel.

iGary
Jan 11, 2006, 09:22 AM
I'm gonna go pick up one of those 2-3X slower suxxorz right now!! :eek: :D

mkubal
Jan 11, 2006, 09:42 AM
Apparently "nut job" was the wrong phrase. :)

I would agree about the not buying Rev. A stuff from Apple, but shouldn't Rosetta handle the PPC stuff fairly well until those apps have made their way to x86. And the point still stands that it's the same price for the old machine as the new.

iMeowbot
Jan 11, 2006, 09:48 AM
but shoudln't Rosetta handle the PPC stuff fairly well until those apps have made their way to x86.
If they're the kinds of programs that spend almost all their time waiting for user input (and there are many such programs), Rosetta will be fine. If the programs do lots of number crunching instead of calling OS functions, there can be problems. That covers a *lot* of software across all creative fields.

Even yesterday, Steve recommended that serious Photoshop users wait this one out.

mkubal
Jan 11, 2006, 10:01 AM
If they're the kinds of programs that spend almost all their time waiting for user input (and there are many such programs), Rosetta will be fine. If the programs do lots of number crunching instead of calling OS functions, there can be problems. That covers a *lot* of software across all creative fields.

Even yesterday, Steve recommended that serious Photoshop users wait this one out.

Fair enough. I plan on waiting it out myself being that it is rev. A and I don't want to wind up with chirps, faulty power supplies and exceptionally loud fans.

BruinJohn
Jan 11, 2006, 10:12 AM
I don't see the G5 iSight iMacs on the applestore anymore. Maybe its only available for the people outside the US. But I think they made a lot thinking that the transistion might take longer, but apparently it didn't cuz now they have too kick butt machines. I got my 17" iSight iMac when it first came out, and I'm lovin' it. I don't envy the new ones just because they look the same, and cuz its a Rev. A. Although I would love to have iLife '06.

iMeowbot
Jan 11, 2006, 10:17 AM
I don't see the G5 iSight iMacs on the applestore anymore.
It's still there, they moved it down the front page a bit to a separate PowerPC section.

angelwatt
Jan 11, 2006, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know with certainty about the ability to run Classic applications on these new intel macs? I vaguely remember some talk about it, but can't keep the rumors and facts straight anymore.

danny_w
Jan 11, 2006, 11:56 AM
I don't think it is an option:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=172348

bousozoku
Jan 11, 2006, 12:04 PM
Apparently "nut job" was the wrong phrase. :)

I would agree about the not buying Rev. A stuff from Apple, but shouldn't Rosetta handle the PPC stuff fairly well until those apps have made their way to x86. And the point still stands that it's the same price for the old machine as the new.

Should run fairly well and will run fairly well are two different things, no matter what kind of nut job you are.

I suspect that there are a few people trying to run the professional applications who might consider the new machines but don't want to pay the $49 ransom for the Universal Binaries disc. Besides, I suspect the performance isn't all that great for vector-processing-heavy (read relied on AltiVec) applications even though the new iMac is 2x-3x the speed of the old one. SPECint and SPECfp don't measure vector performance. A lot of that 2x-3x will be soaked up by Rosetta doing its job, probably giving no speed advantage to PPC applications running on the new machines.