Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

z0oinks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2012
So I found my old Macbook 2,1 on Leopard the other day and decided to make it my dedicated Windows computer. I wanted to run Windows 8 on it, so I figured out I needed Boot Camp 5. Then I realized Boot Camp 5 only runs on Mountain Lion, so I went though the process up updating it (had to use MLPostFactor since it's techincally unsupported on my mac.) After getting it updated to Mountain Lion, I went and used Boot Camp 5 to install Windows 8 64-bit. However, when I try to load any Boot Camp Driver Files (I've tried the drivers for BootCamp 3, 4, and 5) it says it is unsupported on my computer model. I suspect this is because of the fact that Windows 8 shouldn't be on my computer. Without these files, I can't right click, among other things, which is pretty important. Can anyone help me get these drivers loaded?

Copied from my thread on the Apple forums, thought it would be good to have it here in case

z0oinks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2012
your question was answered on the other forum last night

I understand my Mac shouldn't be running Windows 8 OR Mountain Lion, but I was wondering if there were any alternative drivers besides the Boot Camp ones that I could use

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I understand my Mac shouldn't be running Windows 8 OR Mountain Lion, but I was wondering if there were any alternative drivers besides the Boot Camp ones that I could use

Probably not for a system that old. My dad has a Core2 Duo notebook that's two years older than yours, and the only Windows 8/8.1 compatible drivers were the ones that came natively with the operating system.

z0oinks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2012
Probably not for a system that old. My dad has a Core2 Duo notebook that's two years older than yours, and the only Windows 8/8.1 compatible drivers were the ones that came natively with the operating system.

Aw, damn. Well, thanks, I guess.

If anyone else can suggest something, please go ahead :)

z0oinks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2012
I wonder if you could install the drivers under Windows XP/Vista/7 compatibility mode? Right-click and go into properties and set it up?

I do that with a USB dongle made for XP that I use with 7.

The thing is that Bootcamp.exe says Boot Camp x64 is unsupported on this computer model not ...on this computer software. I've tried compatibility mode using Windows 7, Vista, XP, and using "Recommended Settings", and get the same error.

If there was some soft of a way to add my macbook to the list of compatible computers, I think that would fix it.

jukebox1298

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
What I did was

The Boot Camp driver installation is failing because it goes out and checks the model Mac you are running, and if it isn't on the approved list, it refuses to run. I got around this by manually installing the drivers from the Boot Camp support disk. Go to System Properties in Windows, and Device Manager and for each device, manually install the driver. Takes a little time, but it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.