PDA

View Full Version : 2 q's: about powerbook in for service

vdoc
Jan 11, 2006, 09:30 AM
I just dropped off my powerbook for service at an Apple Store. 6 months old and after booting up, it immediately goes to sleep. Tried all the tricks to try and fix.

So they determine that is it most likely the logic board.

Now my first question is this. For anyone that has had this or similar service how likely will they wipe out my hard drive and data? Doh :( , I backed up everything, EXCEPT all my photos in iphoto (family, vacations, etc) - irreplaceable. Forgot, forgot, forgot.

Is there anything I can do now or just pray?

Second question: They needed my main password to of course do various installs and whatever else comes up during service. In doing so, should I be worried about my keychain data (passwords for cc, bank accounts, logins, etc.) Yes it is private and I assume the technicians are professionals, but should I worry?

ortuno2k
Jan 11, 2006, 11:37 AM
If I were you, I would have turned on FireVault (System Preferences, Security) and set a master password.
Then, I would have created another admin account with nothing in it for them to use.
I've never done that so I'm not even sure if they'll be able to bypass it.
Who knows.
Always, always backup irreplaceable data :)

vdoc
Jan 11, 2006, 11:47 AM
Yeah, in hindsight I know, I know. Hoping someone who has had their pb in for service would know about my questions.

Also, by the time I took it in, I couldn't get it to start up to do anything like that. Odd because you could start up to the boot up CD, but nothing else. Hardware test gave errors.

puckhead193
Jan 11, 2006, 11:49 AM
bad news....for me they replaced the logic board and HD so they wiped mine out clean...

vdoc
Jan 11, 2006, 12:04 PM
bad news....for me they replaced the logic board and HD so they wiped mine out clean...

Did you have the same/similar problem?