PDA

View Full Version : Official I Love My Powerbook Thread

revisionA
Jan 11, 2006, 10:55 AM
Post your configuration in tribute to a great product.

Revision E, see signature. No regrets, especially love having FW800 and 60 lines more resolution than the ..haha... Macbook Pro. And probably longer battery life.

revisionA saying, wait till revision B!
;-)

$

Lacero
Jan 11, 2006, 10:58 AM
Luddite! Go enjoy your PB that's 1/4 the speed of the MBPs. :D

I won't partaking in this appreciation thread as I look angrily at my PB 12" and wishing she was thinner and better looking. I hate you PB!

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)

BENJMNS
Jan 11, 2006, 11:05 AM
I'm very much enjoying my hi-res 17 with 1.5g ram and 120gb hd. I'm pretty much a casual user. The only app i've got loaded is Microsoft Office 2004. I can't stand Open Source versions. They look and feel cheap.

I'm excited for the MacBooks, but really, it's just an upgrade that falls in line with the technology advancement continuum.

Now I'd be envious if it had a new chassis that was thinner, lighter and if battery life was at least 25% better than my hi-res. That will come soon hopefully.

I'll keep this sucker around for a few years. early '07, I'll be purchasing a new Windows Vista notebook. Vista is looking great.

iSaint
Jan 11, 2006, 11:08 AM
~snip

I'll keep this sucker around for a few years. early '07, I'll be purchasing a new Windows Vista notebook. Vista is looking great.

The key word here is "looking", as in, it looks great but it's still Windows.

jadekitty24
Jan 11, 2006, 11:08 AM

I won't partaking in this appreciation thread as I look angrily at my PB 12" and wishing she was thinner and better looking. I hate you PB!

Here's to the Crazy Ones http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35452 (http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/movies/think-different.mov)
I really hope your kidding...with you I never can tell.

katie ta achoo
Jan 11, 2006, 11:10 AM

Yeah.. I remember watching the keynote and yelling "I HATE YOU, STEVE JOBS" when he announced the slightly thinner MacBook Pro (I still hate that name.) and when he talked about iLife 06 with calendar making abilities.

my mom came over to see what the commotion was about.. when she saw I was yelling at the computer at a Steve Jobs speech, she just shook her head and left.

Seasought
Jan 11, 2006, 11:14 AM
I'm very happy with my Rev E Powerbook with 1.5 GB of RAM. It's my first Mac so how could I not love it? :D

I'm excited about upgrading in the future of course, but for now I'm quite happy with what I have.

bodeh6
Jan 11, 2006, 11:15 AM

while we will be enjoying 10.5 Leopard. Vista is just a prettier version of XP.

florencevassy
Jan 11, 2006, 11:55 AM
I love my PowerBook! I have not had any problems (apart for some minor things; I had to reset Airport recently and I had problems starting up, resetting the PRAM seemed to help).

The specs are in my signature. I won't be buying a new laptop for at least one more year.

andiwm2003
Jan 11, 2006, 12:05 PM
I love my PowerBook! I have not had any problems (apart for some minor things; I had to reset Airport recently and I had problems starting up, resetting the PRAM seemed to help).

The specs are in my signature. I won't be buying a new laptop for at least one more year.

have the same PB and i'm totally happy. was a good investment 20 month ago. i won't need a new PB in the next two years.
i will however get something fast for use at home. the new imac looks tempting but i have already a 24" display.

YS2003
Jan 11, 2006, 12:28 PM
I am also in the same boat on this. My PBs are meeting my current computing needs. It's speedy enough and it has sufficient ram to multi-tasking and also it can drive 20" and 23" ACDs. Even though MacBook Pro looks nice, I cannot justify buying that. They run CS2 and MX2004 well for me. So, for the time being, I will stick with my Macs I have now.

I hope Apple introduces the tablet Mac to give a different twist to their product mix. I had to buy Fujitsu Tablet PC because Apple does not offer tablet models.

thomasp
Jan 11, 2006, 12:31 PM
My 15" 1.5GHz PB is great :D I'm not sure of the revision number - it was the last 1.5GHz model (bought in August '05).

Trouble is, "G4", "PowerPC" and "PowerBook" sound so old now ;)

However, if someone was to give me 2k to spend on a computer, I'd wait for the next MacBook revision, then buy a pretty decent one :)

If someone gave me 10k to spend on whatever computing stuff I wanted, I'd probably buy a Dual Core G5, ACD and macbook.

But, that ain't gonna happen, so I'm more than happy with my PowerBook :D

GhostFace
Jan 11, 2006, 12:46 PM
I just got my PowerBook in August. The Macbook Pro does look sweet, but I am completely happy with my Powerbook. I am deplolyed to Afghanistan right now and I use my Powerbook for iPhoto and iMovie. I love it. It is funny to see all of the guys here with windows laptops with all of the problems they are having. There is no tech support in Afghanistan for them. I told them buy a Mac and you will not have all of those problems.

-Escher-
Jan 11, 2006, 01:29 PM
OK, LETS PUT THIS QUESTION:

You have to buy TODAY an apple notebook. What would you do:

a)I'll buy the old PB15''. The problems wiht screen, memory slot or battery don't affect me. Besides, I'd rather have a slower and obsolete machine than a REV A brand new powerfull one...OH! I really need a FW800 and the extra 1hr battery life!

b) I'll buy the MBP. Ok, It's a REV A and I might have to deal with some bugs. There'll be some softwares incompatibilities that will be resolved througout the year. There's some negative features AS ANY OTHER NOTEBOOK AVAILABLE...But, It's the best of the best I can get!

c) I'll buy a PB 17''. Much bigger screen!!!

d) Well...Why not a duo core PC?

e) noa

revisionA
Jan 11, 2006, 01:31 PM
I just got my PowerBook in August. The Macbook Pro does look sweet, but I am completely happy with my Powerbook. I am deplolyed to Afghanistan right now and I use my Powerbook for iPhoto and iMovie. I love it. It is funny to see all of the guys here with windows laptops with all of the problems they are having. There is no tech support in Afghanistan for them. I told them buy a Mac and you will not have all of those problems.

Yes, US Govt and now, Armed Forces prefer OS X.

I cant believe Steve "we're so over 'Power'" ... umm, this whole thing is about power, powerful cpus - power management - power lasting longer in... powerbooks.

%$%

macOSX-tastic
Jan 11, 2006, 01:43 PM
i love my powerbook. it is my first mac, and with the specs it has, should be around for some time before i make another upgrade....i didnt buy her a christmas present, so i am compensating by giving her ilife and iwork 06. :D

i4k20c
Jan 11, 2006, 06:56 PM
This puppy was my first powerbook,first apple, the current 12inch that is out right now. It is my main computer for me, as i travel to home and school with it. It is fast enough and does the job well. I bought this computer in October, and i knew there was a great possibility that a intel mac was comming in Jan, but i needed a comp for school. I am glad i bought it, first is that i wouldn't spend 1800 for a lappy at this current age. Also i know my 12incher (little schoolgirl laugh) will last me hopefully till the end of 2007, maybe Feb-March of 2008, and by that time, All the apples will be Intel, there will be loads of software for it so i know i will be getting as great of a machine as my 12inch powerbook is now (being gone through vigerous testing and multiple revisions). :)

I am not sure if i will stick it out with apple, i am actually liking the OS alot more than windows, but i hate the fact that on some people's myspace i can't view videos, or i can't listen to music on mtv.com. I know these are small details and a bit lame, but it is bothersome at times knowing that i am somewhat limited a little. I hope that by 2007-8, apple continues to expand. I really do wish more people gave this OS a chance, because asides from only getting 90 days of phone support (i think that is crappy), seems to be a great computer, great OS, and thus far, pretty good company!

risc
Jan 11, 2006, 07:19 PM
Revision E, see signature...

You mean Rev D of course there is no 15" Rev E PowerBook. I had a Rev C 15" G4 1.67 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, but I sold it recently when rumours about Intel notebooks started turning up. So far I'm not sold on the MacBook Pro though so I'm waiting a little longer to get a new one.

Gokhan
Jan 11, 2006, 08:07 PM
i got a refurb about 2 moths ago 1.67ghz 100 gb, 1gb ram i am very happy with it ! to all mac-book-pro owners (people) big deal it is said to be x4 faster but it starts at 1420 i guess the top version would cost 1600 thats mad and stupid i paid 1100 for mine which is ok but 1600 so i can run a few things quicker and use WINDOWDS i dont think so, no Svideo or fw ,also rev A ,lets see what happens before dissmissin ppc already i have a fellin apple will be intels bitch :eek:

Vasileios
Jan 11, 2006, 08:42 PM
I love my powerbook
15' 1.67 Oct 2005 revision
I love my 1440x960 display, my DUAL layer dvd, my firewire 800, my S-Video output, my 5 hours battery life :)

PhilaScott
Jan 11, 2006, 08:45 PM
my mom came over to see what the commotion was about.. when she saw I was yelling at the computer at a Steve Jobs speech, she just shook her head and left.

Yeah, my cat does the same thing!

My configuration is in my sig... and I think I'll hang onto my Powerbook for a little while longer... History tells me never to be a first adopter with Apple products :)

yankeefan24
Jan 11, 2006, 08:53 PM

All I want is a redisigned MacBook Pro. Call it the MacBook TURBO. Put in a 2 GHz core duo, and robson chaching, and everything else i wanted in a new powerbook. JUST GIVE ME A MAC BOOK TURBO.

powerbook911
Jan 11, 2006, 09:19 PM
I *adore* my Powerbook.

It is the 12-inch 1.5 GHZ G4 with Superdrive. Actually, they are still selling the identical machine, but I received mine in February 2005 right after it was released.

Hands down, the best computer and computing experience I have ever had (it wasn't my first Mac either). It just been such a great machine, and I use it with my 20-inch ACD almost exclusively, so its like my desktop too.

TheMasin9
Jan 11, 2006, 09:31 PM
I love my 15 inch 1.5 ghz 1.25 gig ram 128vram pb. it will last me until the end of my college career, then i get a quad or whatevers chugging along fastest at that time.

bookofjames
Jan 11, 2006, 11:23 PM
I love my 12" Rev B Alu Powerbook. It's been with me for more than 2 years and still giving me great performance. Playing WoW with it!

In those 2 years it went through a logic board replacement, hard disk replacement, and battery replacement. Thanks to Applecare, I only paid for the replacement battery.

Would love to get the new MacBook Pro, but I think I'll wait for Rev B or a 13.3" MacBook. prefer a smaller, more portable laptop. :)

Sathos
Jan 11, 2006, 11:29 PM
Using a 1.33 GHz 12" PowerBook G4. It works better than I could ever expect a computer to work. Wonderful machine.

Sexy Patrol
Jan 12, 2006, 01:20 AM
12" 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 with 512MB of RAM and an 80GB Hard Drive. I work her pretty hard and she performs beautifully. I edit video on a regular basis, as well as use Office 2004, lots of web surfing, etc. Performs infinitely better than my friends PC notebooks. More and more of them are getting PowerBooks :D

-Escher-
Jan 12, 2006, 01:23 AM
I love my powerbook
15' 1.67 Oct 2005 revision
I love my 1440x960 display, my DUAL layer dvd, my firewire 800, my S-Video output, my 5 hours battery life :)

well, the fw800 problem is solved if you need it so badly!

http://www.xterasys.com/e94b.htm

puckhead193
Jan 12, 2006, 01:25 AM
i love my baby, even though its not the fastest/newest, i still love it... it good for what i need it to do... go on MR ;)

joepunk
Jan 12, 2006, 01:53 AM
Ok I'll join in.

I love my Rev. D. Despite the fact that I have now noticed white spots, and the dents that I have cause, and possibly the little itty bitty warping happening.

All in all, I love it.

yippy
Jan 12, 2006, 02:13 AM
I love my PowerBook. I don't do any graphics or video work so the G4 in it is plenty powerful except for the occasional flight in X-Plane, but it runs that fine, just not all maxed out. I also frequently use the S-video out to play movies/TV shows on an actual TV. The only thing that has given me any trouble with it in the almost 2 years that I have had it was the hard drive. So I just upgraded to a better one.:D

I have a revision B/C (depending on how you count it, released in April 2004) 15" Aluminum Powerbook. It is the one just before the scrolling trackpad and dual link DVI. SideTrack makes up for the trackpad thing.

1.5Ghz
Radeon 9700 w/128Mb video ram
1.25Gb ram
recently upgraded 80Gb 7200rpm HD

briangig
Jan 12, 2006, 02:14 AM
i really dont want a laptop over 13"...i hate those huge 15 and 17 inch laptops...they suck for portability IMO. I'll stick with my powerbook for now, at least until next year. It's doing great other than the slight dent I caused last week when I dropped it...oops.

However, give me a Core Duo Mac Mini and I will buy it in a heartbeat...would like a mac in the house with some really good processing power.

jamesi
Jan 12, 2006, 02:26 AM
Im glad i have my new powerbook. it is getting through college and i love it. sure its no longer the fastest mac notebook, but it never was the best laptop overall but we still loved it. its the last among the line of the last true mac processors

Dalriada
Jan 12, 2006, 02:29 AM
Nice thread... I'm for one holding on to my faithfull ol' PowerBook. Not anymore the fastest of beasts but with a 100 percent track record since purchase, that's what I require. Wake up and go... no downtime :D

livingfortoday
Jan 12, 2006, 02:42 AM
Well I love my TiBook! The oldest of the Powerbooks on this thread so far, apparently, but, in my heart, the best! When I get the Al Powerbook (in sig) in February, I'll retire the Ti as a desktop machine, but she'll always be special.

Sic
Jan 12, 2006, 03:16 AM
i LOVE my powerbook. it's great :D and i'll use it til it dies/people stop making ppc compatible software :D

revisionA
Jan 12, 2006, 08:42 AM
Keeping up with the joneses... bouncing the i love pb thread!

Just like the cube, a great product worth hanging on to!

exeterbohemian
Jan 12, 2006, 07:30 PM
powerbook is my god. simply put, this is the best computer i've ever owned. and that includes the powerhouse recording studio pc that i built a few years back. but what's ever sweeter than the powerbook by itself is having a 40" sony lcd hdtv with computer inputs on it. so i can sit on the couch with my apple bluetooth mouse and keyboard. :)

Meyvn
Jan 12, 2006, 10:15 PM
I love my BLACK (yes, black) 15" October 2005 model. And honestly, as far as the MBP is concerned, when it comes out, yes, tons of people will have more powerful machines than I will, but you know what? A year and a half or two years down the road, I'll buy a new laptop, and then I'll have the more powerful machine for a little while. Then, someone else's upgrade cycle will come out, and surpass me again. Such is the way of things. Life is way too short to constantly be worrying about upgrades. Good night!

titangears
Jan 12, 2006, 10:27 PM

Troll !!! lol

joker2
Jan 12, 2006, 10:57 PM
Rev. B 12" 1 GHz PowerBook (DVI, 9-2003 release, purchased 11-2003). It has done everything I have needed (besides some proprietary Windows software) for the past two-plus years. I immediately put in a 512MB RAM upgrade to 768MB. I sent it in for a HDD failure just before two years was up and had it back within the week -- Thank You Applecare -- and replaced the battery. The keyboard is a dream to type on, the one "regular" keyboard I'm happy to use -- the rest of the time I'm lost without an ergonomic split-key keyboard!

I'm afraid I'm beginning to outgrow it though, unless I put in some upgrades: much bigger HDD, and bump the RAM to 1.2GB. I keep having to offload projects to an external drive, and find that I'm maxxing out the RAM at times.

xPismo
Jan 13, 2006, 01:31 AM
Ok I'll join in.

I love my Rev. D. Despite the fact that I have now noticed white spots, and the dents that I have cause, and possibly the little itty bitty warping happening.

All in all, I love it.

I feel exactly the same about my rev A. I'm typing around the spots, forgetting about the lid warp as much as possible ... and worrying less about the case. Its odd, but I get this feeling that I don't really have to worry about every little scratch anymore... as if the defects kinda make it ok to not be so obsessive. Either I'm getting old, or this powerbook has made some kind of odd connection with me.

Its like an older pet, not as spry as it used to be, but just as willing - and a bit more experienced to boot. I don't remember thinking the same thing about my Pismo back in the day... odd.

(wow, what did this thread bring out in me? )

joepunk
Jan 13, 2006, 01:51 AM
I feel exactly the same about my rev A. I'm typing around the spots, forgetting about the lid warp as much as possible ... and worrying less about the case. Its odd, but I get this feeling that I don't really have to worry about every little scratch anymore... as if the defects kinda make it ok to not be so obsessive. Either I'm getting old, or this powerbook has made some kind of odd connection with me.

Its like an older pet, not as spry as it used to be, but just as willing - and a bit more experienced to boot. I don't remember thinking the same thing about my Pismo back in the day... odd.

(wow, what did this thread bring out in me? )
You should see my cell phone. It is a Nokia 3285. It's got a nice crack in the screen, battery shifts/wiggles which cause the thing to turn off, I have to reset the time occasionally, the screen would go blank while the phone is still on, etc. Oh, and I stuck a sticker on the back.

Bern
Jan 13, 2006, 02:34 AM
Great thread!

I love my Rev D 12" 1.5 Ghz Powerbook with 1.25 gig ram and 100GB HDD.

I use Adobe CS2, Macromedia Studio 8 and Corel Painter IX on it plugged into a 17" LCD monitor and it performs flawlessly. I've always owned Mac laptops and this one, with out a doubt, has been the best I ever had. My Powerbook is my constant companion.

I travel overseas several times a year and having a 12" is a blessing. I don't see the point in a huge laptop, especially when there are so many good external monitors out there.

I'm not bitter about the Intel switch at all. I believe Apple are doing the right thing by going forward with technology, but there's no way I'm getting a first revision of that new technology either. I'm hoping Apple will eventually have at least a 13.(something)" model and then I'll consider it when it gets to around a Rev C.

dorqiekat
Jan 13, 2006, 02:51 AM

No! don't confirm society's idea of beauty! She's looks good just as she is.

ericssonboi
Jan 13, 2006, 11:12 AM
I love my Powerbook too..
I've done everything to it (to max it out) except the hard drive.. thats where i just use external hard drives.

Its great... does everything i want it to do..
And best of all is that its stable.

I used my PC the other day and it couldn't multi-task at all.. I was sitting there waiting wondering if the program was going to crash and if i should End Task or not. I'm so glad i don't have to put up with that everyday.

Think this is a keeper... I havn't had any problems with it... so i'll just keep it until i have money for a 30" Al Cinema Display and Duo Core PowerMacs

mjstew33
Jan 13, 2006, 11:16 AM

How dare you Lacero!!

ahunter3
Jan 13, 2006, 11:34 AM
I love my WallStreet. (And I think I just took the lead for "oldest PB in this thread"). I do have a 17" on order, but the WS has been my main computer for almost 7 years, which makes it the reigning champion, the Mac that has been my primary Mac longer than any of its predecessors. And by far the Mac that I've been most pleased with.

Original specs 8 gig HD, Mac OS 8.1, 300 MHz G3, 128 MB RAM, DVD/CD player (no burning).

Final specs dual 60 gig 7200 RPM HDs (one in expbay), MacOS X 10.3.8, 500 Mhz Sonnet G4, 512 MB RAM, 24x CDRW or DVD/CD player (switchable modules). External 2nd screen extended desktop via VillageTronic card.

This cute little laptop spanned a lot of changes. Last Mac to be able to accept a Type III PCMCIA card. One of the last Macs to be able to boot from a floppy. One of the last Macs capable of LocalTalk networking or printing to a classic serial port printer. Yet capable of booting the latest build of Tiger; with the right cards, can do Airport, USB 2, FireWire. Not since the original 68000-chip-powered Macs has there been a model that can natively boot such a wide range of vintages of MacOS.

oregonic
Jan 13, 2006, 08:28 PM
I should be getting my refurbished 12" powerbook on monday...ordered directly from Apple. I was thinking of returning it for a refurbished ibook, but that just seems like too much trouble...plus who knows when they will put more ibooks up.

Can't wait to get it and join the club!

Currently typing in XP :(

Seasought
Jan 13, 2006, 10:46 PM
I should be getting my refurbished 12" powerbook on monday...ordered directly from Apple. I was thinking of returning it for a refurbished ibook, but that just seems like too much trouble...plus who knows when they will put more ibooks up.

Congratulations!

If you can, post pictures of it when you get it. Welcome. :D

dorqiekat
Jan 13, 2006, 10:49 PM

the club is cool! sends my little pb much deserved love. *pets it*

ahunter3
Jan 16, 2006, 03:14 PM
In this post (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2054886&postcount=48) upthread, I celebrated my beloved WallStreet, which has served me so well over the last almost-7 years.

The retirement party was this weekend. The WallStreet got the gold watch and the toasts, and will live quietly at home where it will operate a pair of scanners for which no OS X drivers (even VueScan) exist, and maybe other occasional OS9-ish tasks. Or Pantherish or Jaguarish OS X tasks.

Yes, I did it. It was time. Meet Enterprise (http://home.earthlink.net/~ahunter/Upload_Download/New%20PB%20w%203%20Screens_lores.jpg). (The placement of the big Sony is temporary; our office is relocating and in our new digs I'll have the three screens more conveniently side-by-side). This is the first triple-screen computer setup I've had since my 7100 was in its prime.

I love the power of this thing, and the ease of setting it up (including moving my entire environment over from the WallStreet with no more than minor effort and a FireWire cable).

I love the resolution and exquisite readability of the 17" screen. As you can see in the photo, it's not huge when compared to desktop displays, but it blows them out of the water pixel-wise. (The big Sony could go higher but becomes very hard to read if you do, unlike the G4's screen).

amin
Jan 16, 2006, 08:09 PM
I loved my Rev A 12" PB, and I love my Rev D 15" PB (Combo, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB). I think I bought at the right time. Been enjoying it immensely since July and it will hold me over until at least Rev B of the Intel Macs. I'm interested to see what an Intel iBook will offer.