Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wilycoder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
when i google this, every link wants me to spend money in order to jailbreak the apple tv3.

can someone here share with me a link on how to jailbreak an apple tv3 that is FREE?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Can't do it. That's the reason the ATV2 goes for so much money on eBay/craigslist/etc.

What are you trying to accomplish with the JB? Maybe we can help you with that.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
No one has successfully jailbroken an Apple TV 3. Only Apple TV 2 can be jailbroken (using the free Seasonpass software from Firecore).

There is, however, a way to use "PlexConnect" to access a Plex server on your computer by hijacking the Trailers app on your Apple TV 3. I have never done this, but understand it allows you to access content in your Plex server (so for example if you have video files on your mac that are not in iTunes, this should allow you to play them without transcoding/remuxing to iTunes).

But that's more like a back-door trick, not a jailbreak.

As an owner of a jailbroken Apple TV 2, I can tell you that you are not missing out on much. The only jailbroken features I used were the ability to use XBMC to run the "freecable" and "Hulu" plugins, and even those don't seem to work any more. I'll probably just end up selling my ATV2 when Apple releases the new Apple TV (hopefully this year. .. )

randalf72

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2014
I understand a workround may be to jailbreak an early iPad to install XBMC and then airplay it to the ATV3.

kelub

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Can't do it. That's the reason the ATV2 goes for so much money on eBay/craigslist/etc.

What are you trying to accomplish with the JB? Maybe we can help you with that.

That would be useful to know. If you're just wanting to play content without modifying the files, then there are plenty of DLNA options for iDevices that can then be AirPlayed to the ATV. Air Video HD is a good example - the server side is free, the app is relatively cheap, it lets you access your content remotely & without file type restraints, and it supports AirPlay.

I've found it's just easier for me to make everything compatible with iTunes and setup my media server with iTunes running to manage it all. Even with a large amount of files needing to be processed, there are batch apps that will convert files to .m4v. I also know not everyone wants to do that.

A1evilboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
I just want to install more video on demand apps like HBO Go. MAX Go has an app for my iPhone, and I'd like it on my ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.