PDA

View Full Version : Do you recommend the Apple Care Protection Plan?

germ79
Jan 11, 2006, 11:07 AM
Hello to all. I'm about to take the plunge and purchase my first iPod. I think I'm going to be getting the 30GB iPod and am having a gard time deciding whether or not to buy the ACPP. I am a teacher, so I get a discount, but it is still $47.

I got the ACPP when I bought my iMac last year, but I don't know whether it is worth it or not for the iPod.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

katie ta achoo
Jan 11, 2006, 11:08 AM
If I were in your shoes, I would get it.

Spending $47 for a warranty you don't use is better than spending $300 for a new one IF it does break, IMO. :)

cgratti
Jan 11, 2006, 11:48 AM
DEFINATELY, DEFINATELY get AppleCare. You can't buy a better piece of mind. The best $47 you'll spend this year.

I can promise you that you will use it at least once in next 2 years even if to just call in for support by phone, and just to replace a dead battery within the 1st year warranty is still gonna cost you $30 for shipping without applecare, with Applecare there are no shipping charges it's 100% covered.

Lord Sandwich
Jan 11, 2006, 11:48 AM
Just buy it 11 months after buying your iPod. The coverage will be the same and it'll sting less.

Not to mention you'll have a better idea of whether to replace it with a 6G. :D

puckhead193
Jan 11, 2006, 11:51 AM
Definently. It would have cost me over 700 to fix my powerbook but thank god i had applecare.

cgratti
Jan 11, 2006, 11:51 AM
Just buy it 11 months after buying your iPod. The coverage will be the same and it'll sting less.

After the first 90 days you have to pay a $30 shipping charge to send your iPod in for repair, and you only get 1 free call in to Apple for iPods without AppleCare.

2nyRiggz
Jan 11, 2006, 11:54 AM
yes you should get it....better safe than sorry.

Bless

Johnny Rico
Jan 11, 2006, 12:24 PM
Always get applecare on your ipods and laptops. The working parts are too small, and the devices take too much constant minor abuse, to not extend your warranty out as far as it will go. I use my ipod warranty constantly for battery issues; I get a new ipod/battery every six months through applecare. And for laptops, usually a single out of warranty repair will run nearly twice the cost of the applecare, or more. My only complaint is that the ipod applecare only gives you one additional year.. Do they really count on the ipods absolutely breaking to such an extreme degree after two years that it isn't worth offering to fix them?

Now. Time to get Irie mon. Smokin romulan out of the new 30" tube.

Lord Sandwich
Jan 11, 2006, 12:38 PM
After the first 90 days you have to pay a $30 shipping charge to send your iPod in for repair, and you only get 1 free call in to Apple for iPods without AppleCare.

Even then, you could buy your AppleCare and activate it before requesting for repair. Just saying that there's no absolute advantage to buying it outright, other than peace of mind of course.

And then there's the Genius Bar, which is the only way I got Apple to replace my dead 4G after mailing it in twice. Dunno if they charge you for that, though.

jholzner
Jan 11, 2006, 07:32 PM

I used to tell people the same thing but they usually forgot by then and then something happens and they were sol. i would just get it upfront and then not have to worry for the next two years.

Mylstar
Jan 11, 2006, 07:51 PM
Yup, get it. I bought my 40g 4G at Best Buy in July of '04 with their 4 year warranty for $49. Just yesterday the click wheel stopped scrolling and I took it in today and they are sending it to Apple for repair.

Normally I don't buy extended warrantys, but like people have been saying, get them for iPods, laptops and Plasma/LCD tv's. :-)

-Stephen