PDA

View Full Version : When are the PowerBooks getting upgraded?


gregorypierce
Jan 28, 2002, 03:17 PM
I was planning on picking up a Titanium PowerBook this week but was unsure if there were pending new models coming out. One of the hardest things as a previous PC-guy with dealing with Apple is that they are so secretive about when they plan to release updates to their line.

:(

Anyone have any ideas what's in store for the PowerBooks in the next couple of months?

:confused:

I

spuncan
Jan 28, 2002, 04:14 PM
the new powermacs were released fairly soon after the ship time went up to 10 days. So since the powerbook it at 2-3 days it will be awhile along with everything else.

macktheknife
Jan 28, 2002, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I'm also thinking of plunking down some cash for the 550 model, but I'm a bit neverous about doing it before Apple comes out with something new. What do you guys think? A new Powerbook model by MacWorld Tokyo? Or later? Or even sooner? If no new models early February, then I'm going to jump on it.

eyelikeart
Jan 28, 2002, 06:27 PM
if u absolutely can not wait to get a computer....get the 550....

if u can handle waiting it out.....hold off...

how's that for simple? ;)

zorglub
Jan 28, 2002, 07:30 PM
the 550 is a real good machine, if you need one NOW, so what ?
don't pass your time waiting for the brand new proc with the incredibilistic 100 Mhz bump, and gnagnagna....
one day, you must buy one and a few months or weeks later, new config is popped up... it's life.
z:-)
PS:
i buy a 550 with DVD: 15 days after, they have Combo...I'm not crying all over the planet for that...

Classic
Jan 28, 2002, 09:02 PM
So, I've been scouring through the specs of TiBooks, and am thinking about taking the plunge.

I'm not so concerned with waiting for a new revision. I figure if a new one comes out, so be it. Also, I think it will still be a couple of months, and I need the computer sooner than that.

So, then the question becomes, what can I afford - seeing as I obviously want the 667. There's an interesting article at Bare Feats:

http://www.barefeats.com/pb06.html

They compare the rev A 500 MHz with the rev B 667 and iBook 600. So, my question for you all is, "If I don't care about the combo drive, and I'm wavering between a rev B 550 and a rev A 500, which should I buy?"

I can get a refurbished 500 from Apple for $1600, whereas the new 550 costs $2300. So, is the extra $700 worth it for the better video card, gigabit ethernet, and faster Firewire?

Thanks for any and all insights/opinions. Anybody selling a used one?

macktheknife
Jan 28, 2002, 09:17 PM
Rev B not only has several significant speed improvements over Rev A, but Apple has done some minor modifications. For one, the cooling system has been improved, so the TiBook is less likely to heat up as fast. Secondly, the "spongy" keyboard feel people were complaining about has been fixed on Rev B. Lastly, the problems with the front-loading DVD drives have been completely eradicated on Rev B although some Rev A models have been fixed as well.

My two cents? If you plan on owning the TiBook for some time and plan on using it frequently, the $700 is worth it for peace of mind.

macktheknife
Jan 28, 2002, 09:25 PM
Rev B not only has several significant speed improvements over Rev A, but Apple has done some minor modifications. For one, the cooling system has been improved, so the TiBook is less likely to heat up as fast. Secondly, the "spongy" keyboard feel people were complaining about has been fixed on Rev B. Lastly, the problems with the front-loading DVD drives have been completely eradicated on Rev B although some Rev A models have been fixed as well.

My two cents? If you plan on owning the TiBook for some time and plan on using it frequently, the $700 is worth it for peace of mind.

zorglub
Jan 28, 2002, 09:53 PM
i agree with that.
this comput ( rev.B) is now very good without youth problems. and radeon graphic card, gigabit ethernet and good firewire are not so anecdotic...
z:-)

Harlan
Jan 28, 2002, 11:53 PM
After over a year of research, I finally decided to go for the 667 combo. While better models may come out (although I doubt within the next 3 months -only uncle Steve really knows) I feel that both the 550 and 667 are solid models that will stand up for the long hall. It is easy to always look ahead to what is comming, but I think that these models will be excellent machines for the next few years. If you want a machine now, it's a good time for apple and its portables. The time it will take to get g5's ready to go, announced, into the pipeline, into a prtable, and to your door could be quite awhile (that goes for rev. C g4's as well).

moby1
Jan 29, 2002, 01:27 AM
The rev B Ti

Classic
Jan 29, 2002, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the insight, guys. Any more opinions are greatly appreciated, espcially those about upgrades not obviously seen in the spec sheets, like macktheknife's points.

Keep 'em coming.

100 posts :D

macktheknife
Jan 29, 2002, 02:34 AM
I've done it--I've just placed my order for a new 550 TiBook with 512 RAM and 30 HD. I think that whatever upgrades will come, I have made the right decision at the right time--trying to keep ahead of technology is like trying to change tires on a moving car. Anyhow, here's a review of the TiBook from CNET where I got my info from:

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-1027-405-7672706.html?tag=st.co.1027-404-7672706.rev-rev.1027-405-7672706

CNET gave the 660 an Editor's Choice. :D No suprise here, of course.

BTW, I am very happy to be returning to the Mac community after a six-year hiatus when I received a Gateway P133 for my high school graduation gift. Like Darth Vader, I have returned from the Dark Side, although we will have to see whether I end up staying away.

CHess
Jan 29, 2002, 04:55 AM
I think you made the right choice. I got my TiBook just a few months back. I waited until after Seybold and when nothing new showed up I took the plunge on a 400MHz model. Naturally, two weeks later, the 550 and 667s were announced. So these models are not very old and I imagine they run better than mine, but I'm SO happy with my TiBook, that I honestly don't care that there are faster laptop models. Heck, I didn't get the fastest model at the time anyway. And I haven't noticed any of the problems that people have mentioned here. Have fun!

OSeXy!
Jan 29, 2002, 06:37 AM
I think it's obvious that an 800MHz G4 PBook is 'necessary' to put the PRO cred back into the line. The fact that Moto has now announced the low-consumption 7445 at 800MHz (see other thread), makes me think we will see the 667 as low-end with the 800 as high in March, without a price change, or maybe with a reduction, as with PMacs.

networkman
Jan 29, 2002, 07:35 AM
if an 800 is on its way, why not wait if the price is similar?

but will you really notice the difference in speed on tasks you are going to be doing? most likely not for most users

the tibook is truly the best laptop apple has put out at any price and for the budget shopper, the current ibook may be the best apple has done dollar for dollar at twelve hundred bucks

tk-421
Jan 29, 2002, 10:19 AM
We've yet to hear anything about new Ti Books. Our Apple Rep usually keeps us informed of things like this.

astronun
Jan 29, 2002, 10:41 AM
Apple reps don't know... theres only 3 groups of people in apple that know.

execs, engineering and support

Ouroboros
Jan 30, 2002, 05:29 AM
I've been reading discussion on this site for quite a bit of time now. It seems there's a lot of good discussion here! Thanks for the bits here and there. :p Now I have a question:

I'm a freelance designer who spends a great deal of time working on programs that require a LOT of screen real estate! Most people in here know about the benefits of using a dual monitor setup. At the moment I have an aging Blue and White G3 @400 mhz. I've been upgrading all my applications so that they run on OSX. So now of course I'm looking to upgrade, BUT this time I want a powerbook. SO, my question is, what is the maximum current resolution that I can get with a TiBook? Right now I have two 17" monitors running at 1280 x 1024 each. My plan is to use the TiBook's screen and hopefully (with an adaptor) a 17" LCD. So what's the maximum resolution I could span across these two screens, and at what color depth?

Anyone with a new powerbook wanna let me know?! Thanks a lot guys for the help!

zorglub
Jan 30, 2002, 07:26 AM
max depth for internal lcd screen : 1152 X 768 and with that depth the
max depth for external vga screen is : 1152 X 870 millions colors
or 1600 X 1200 thousands colors

if the lcd screen is closed, you can go to 1600 X 1200 millions colors...

z:-)

Ouroboros
Jan 30, 2002, 07:37 AM
Hey thanks a lot!!! Cool so I guess I'll have enough screen real estate after all to do all my work. Anybody else a freelancer on this board??? It gets lonely when you have to work at home all the time. Now I can actually get the *HELL* out of the house sometimes!

The pay is good though :D AND, there's no boss to worry about.

Thanks again for the reply. Now, I wonder if they really are going to update them in February or March....

Macmaniac
Jan 30, 2002, 08:34 AM
Maybe when they release the G5 at MWNY they will also have it on TiBook.(And of course it will be 1ghz for TiBook, and 1.5ghz for the powermac)
__________________________________
Not all who wander are lost.

gregorypierce
Jan 30, 2002, 08:39 PM
The general consensus seems to be that new goodies are right around the corner. Fortunately for me I actually need more than one machine so what I plan on doing is going the cheap route first (getting a new iBook) and then when the new PowerBooks do finally show up, I will pick up one of them since Apple seems to have also become a little price sensitive with the new models.