PDA

View Full Version : New Powermac Case Design

MacTruck
Jan 11, 2006, 11:23 AM
What say. Think we will see dual optical drive bays and up to 4 sata drive support in the new powermacs? I have seen some really kick but designs by people of what the new powermac should look like. Can't remember where they all are but here is one I thought was way cool.

http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macdesign/PowerMacTower.shtml

or this one

http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macdesign/g5cpu.html

maybe.

shadowmoses
Jan 11, 2006, 01:18 PM
The second one is cool, the first one is hideous anyway i think the next powermac wont change very much from the current design they might just modernise it a bit,

Shadow;)

emw
Jan 11, 2006, 01:20 PM
I can't imagine they'd go for something like this. It's too outlandish. I think they're more likely to do minor adjustments to the current G5 case (perhaps without all the holes ;)).

Mr. Anderson
Jan 11, 2006, 01:28 PM
And where are you getting the info on the SATA drives and dual optical drive systems?

D

adk
Jan 11, 2006, 01:42 PM
I think whatever they do they're going to stick with a brushed metal appearance. The PowerMac is the professional line, and brushed metal has that professional appearance (Think professional style stainless steel fridges, ranges, grills, etc.).

Also, take that first design, add about 1,000 LEDs to it, and it would be a gamer/PCmodder's dream.

Jaffa Cake
Jan 11, 2006, 01:44 PM
I'm in agreement with emw on this one. We've seen two new Intel Macs unveiled – neither of them have any major differences from the PowerPC versions so far as external appearance goes, and I'd expect the rest of the product lines to follow a similar path. Losing a lot of the air holes is a possibility (that Intel chip will be running cooler than a couple of G5s, that's for sure) but I don't think we'll be seeing anything too far removed just yet.

MacTruck
Jan 11, 2006, 01:56 PM
Well since they don't need a 10lb super cooler they can maybe use the existing case but have more hard drive bays or even better slim down the case size and still have more hd bays. I love the G5 case design as I use mine with the door off and its like a showcase. Something cool like that but with more functionality would rock. Maybe a media card reader or something.

cantthinkofone
Jan 11, 2006, 01:56 PM
i like the second one as well. Looks like it would draw air in from the bottom then let it exit out the top. I just wish the PM case wasn't so big.

theBB
Jan 11, 2006, 02:26 PM
http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macdesign/PowerMacTower.shtml

or this one

http://www.theapplecollection.com/design/macdesign/g5cpu.html

The first one ooks very cool, very futuristic, but also looks more suitable for a gaming machine. If a Pro is looking for a business like serious appearance, then he/she may not like it.

Second one retains the cool, cutting edge look and it would not seem out of place in a serious business environment.

joecool85
Jan 11, 2006, 02:30 PM
I really don't like the first one, the second looks pretty cool though.

But, on that same note, I love the way my huge power mac looks.

xyian
Jan 11, 2006, 02:37 PM
What about the new sata2 drives? I saw something about them the other day and they offer 300 MB/Sec support. I would tend to think apple might be on the verge of using those in the PMs.

ncoffey
Jan 11, 2006, 03:05 PM
I'm in agreement with emw on this one. We've seen two new Intel Macs unveiled neither of them have any major differences from the PowerPC versions so far as external appearance goes, and I'd expect the rest of the product lines to follow a similar path. Losing a lot of the air holes is a possibility (that Intel chip will be running cooler than a couple of G5s, that's for sure) but I don't think we'll be seeing anything too far removed just yet.

This is an interesting point, and it may be that Apple stays with a similar design element during the transition to keep with the idea that what's inside doesn't matter so much as what the insides are running in terms of software.

runninmac
Jan 11, 2006, 06:05 PM
1st one is absoluty horable, I dont know who in there right mind would buy one of those for a Professonal Mac computer. The 2nd one on the other hand would be neat to see in real life.

Dark
Jan 11, 2006, 06:37 PM
The first one ooks very cool, very futuristic, but also looks more suitable for a gaming machine. If a Pro is looking for a business like serious appearance, then he/she may not like it.

Second one retains the cool, cutting edge look and it would not seem out of place in a serious business environment.

The first one is just a idea branched off an old sawtooth , if you couldnt tell.

Those cases just look like cheap tacky PC ones. I personally dont know how Apple is going to top any of their current designs.

After G
Jan 11, 2006, 07:14 PM
1) Eww.
2) Ok.

Please Apple, save us from mock-up hell.

dmw007
Jan 11, 2006, 08:05 PM
1) Eww.
2) Ok.

Same opinion here.

That said,
I would just prefer that Apple keep using their current cases.

Chaszmyr
Jan 11, 2006, 08:11 PM
The first one is hideous, and the 2nd one is nice. I wouldn't count on Apple using anything like the 2nd one though, it seems more like a step that might have come for the original PowerMac G5s, but it uses design elements that Apple has moved away from. I'd bet we'll see a new enclosure, since the new system won't take up nearly as much room inside the case, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it just looked like a smaller version of the case they are using now.

ITASOR
Jan 11, 2006, 08:20 PM
I don't see the point in making it smaller. If you have room on your desk for one a little smaller, I mean who can't make room for one the size they are now. Instead, they should add more optical bays, hd bays, PCI slots, etc. in order to make it more future proof.

Chip NoVaMac
Jan 11, 2006, 09:53 PM
What can I saw? I liked the AMC Gremlin. And the AMC Pacer and two door fastbck Matador coupe. I love my Subaru Baja's looks. I love quirky, functional designs. And the first one rocks IMO. The second one is OK.

simie
Jan 12, 2006, 12:49 AM
I think that both designs are very much like a PC gamers case - and they are awful.

If Apple do change the case surely they will still be made from brushed aloy and it will only be the design that will alter.

bodeh6
Jan 12, 2006, 08:55 PM
The first on is bad. The second one is okay. I really like the current case. So clean. But Duel Optical Drives should be available. Every PC mini tower except for the lowest class has at least 2 Optical Drives and then some.

Meyvn
Jan 12, 2006, 09:40 PM
What about the new sata2 drives? I saw something about them the other day and they offer 300 MB/Sec support. I would tend to think apple might be on the verge of using those in the PMs.

SATA2 is overkill unless you're using 4 or more drives in a RAID.