Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itsallkosher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2011
Boston/Tel-Aviv
Since upgrading to Mavericks 10.9.2, my webcam on my 2008 MacBook Pro is not recognized. FaceTime freezes when trying to open it, Photo Booth says no camera is recognized, and System Information states that no camera is installed. I read up and found a lot of people have had this problem with the newest update of Mavericks. The console spits out tons of messages like "vDCAssistant AVF warning: failed to get a service for display id..."

I booted up in Safe Mode and the camera works just fine. So it's definitely a software problem. A lot of threads commented how a few apps like AirParrot and Air Display were the problems and once uninstalled, the camera worked again just fine. I DID have Air Display, so I completely uninstalled it. However, I still have the same problem. There is some conflicting software or app, but I have no idea what it is. I've uninstalled any app I thought remotely had to do with video, but can't figure it out. How do I troubleshoot this?

Also, after a while the crashreport process (due to the vDCAssistant) is running at 95% + in activity monitor. So webcam aside, it's making my computer unusable at times.

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.