Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

worldwearyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I'm trying to record some simple demo tracks using garageband 2 on my 1.5ghz PB. The problem is that when I plug the mic into the Line In (via a 1/4->1/8 adaptor), the vocal track can barely be heard, even with all volumes maxed out.

From what I've read, this is a problem with the Line In. Am I better off buying an iMic, or am I missing something? I'm not looking to invest too much into the setup, as I already have other options for higher-grade recording.

cheers...

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
It could be the mic. Depending on what kind of mic it is it might need phantom power to work. I had an imic but that's only cos the ibook didn't have line in, i only used it for transferring from minidisc and vinyl though.

worldwearyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Will something like the maudio Buddy do the job? I'd really like to spend under $100.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
worldwearyeyes said:
Will something like the maudio Buddy do the job? I'd really like to spend under $100.
It should be fine, just understand that you will have to adapt the 1/4 out on the Buddy to 1/8 for your PB.

The benefit of a slightly more expensive (sub $200) interface is that it will take the signal and input it to your PB via usb (though firewire is better).

The question for you is do you plan on doing this often? Do you ever want to do more than just one mic at a time? If you are the seldom user, the buddy might be ok, but borrowing a micpre or a mixer would be just as good. If you plan on doing this more often, look at usb or firewire interfaces.

macbodock

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Mostly Harmless
worldwearyeyes said:
I'm trying to record some simple demo tracks using garageband 2 on my 1.5ghz PB. The problem is that when I plug the mic into the Line In (via a 1/4->1/8 adaptor), the vocal track can barely be heard, even with all volumes maxed out.

From what I've read, this is a problem with the Line In. Am I better off buying an iMic, or am I missing something? I'm not looking to invest too much into the setup, as I already have other options for higher-grade recording.

cheers...
worldwearyeyes,
Another option would be to buy a USB Microphone like the CO1U from Samson or the SnowBall from B.L.U.E.($80 & $140). Even though the price is more than an iMic the quality might be worth it.

Kindest Regards,

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
worldwearyeyes said:
I might be able to borrow a pre-amp from my church.

I'm using a sm58 mic.

sm58 shouldn't need phantom power, it's a 'dynamic' mic. not sure what the problem could be. A cheap option could be the Audio-Technica at25 stereo mic, well under $100. Runs on batteries.
Sound quality can be subjective, i read recently that David Pajo recorded one of the tracks on his new LP directly from the built in mic on his powerbook into Garageband!!! Havn't picked it up yet so i can't say how it sounds.

worldwearyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
Would it have anything to do with the 1/4->1/8 adaptor I bought? I got it from Radio Shack...nothing special.

allan_zip

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2005
Belfast, N. Ireland
The adaptor should be fine. You mentioned you tried it out with all the recording levels at max, did you make the adjustments in 'Garageband' and in 'Audio Midi Setup'? That's all i can think of, other than a dodgy mic:confused:

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
worldwearyeyes said:
Would it have anything to do with the 1/4->1/8 adaptor I bought? I got it from Radio Shack...nothing special.
No, the Line in needs LINE LEVEL input. The adapter method without an preamp or mixer, etc. will not give you line level, hince the low levels.

So you need to boost your audio signal to line level before it goes into the Line in.

worldwearyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
faintember said:
No, the Line in needs LINE LEVEL input. The adapter method without an preamp or mixer, etc. will not give you line level, hince the low levels.

So you need to boost your audio signal to line level before it goes into the Line in.
cheers...

worldwearyeyes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
faintember said:

So would the iMic be a better alternative than the line-in, assuming I don't purchase a preamp or mixer? Again, this is for very simple demo recording.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
worldwearyeyes said:
So would the iMic be a better alternative than the line-in, assuming I don't purchase a preamp or mixer? Again, this is for very simple demo recording.
I think it will be better than what you are getting now. It has a selection for line in or mic in (you want mic in) but you want to try to get the mic as far away from the computer as possible to avoid picking up hum. Also, make sure that the mic cable is away from any electrical cables. If you are not uber or moderately serious, then it will be fine if you follow the above ideas. Note that you will still have to use an 1/8" input.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.