Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schopaia

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with HP pro displays? I'm considering the 24" display, but since it's getting towards the price of the Apple Thunderbolt Display, I'm wondering what is the better option. The model is called z24x and it seems like, for now, it's only available direct from HP.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/07/hp-dreamcolor-z27x-z24z/

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
If your work demands high color accuracy and a wide color gamut, by all means the HP DreamColor will be much more suitable than the Apple Thunderbolt Display.

That said, I'm a bit curious to see how these new DreamColors work out seeing as how HP seemingly dropped that product line for a while. In the meantime, we've pretty much standardized on NEC displays in conjunction with their SpectraView calibrator. The NEC PA242W is a top notch 24" display, though it costs a bit more than that HP does.

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
Our compositors use the last generation dreamcolor at work (a film visual effects facility). We got a demo unit of the new model you linked and our colourist said it wasn't as good as the previous model. Actually the whole thing had an uneven spread of light and a poor viewing angle. We are waiting for a replacement to see if this was just a bad unit. The 27" model seemed the better buy.

Anyway if you're after color accuracy they are a good choice (at least the previous generation).

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The dell U2713H (NOT HM) and the Dell U2413 are much more affordable wide gamut AdobeRGB/sRGB switchable IPS 30-bit monitors.

Policar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2004
Our compositors use the last generation dreamcolor at work (a film visual effects facility). We got a demo unit of the new model you linked and our colourist said it wasn't as good as the previous model. Actually the whole thing had an uneven spread of light and a poor viewing angle. We are waiting for a replacement to see if this was just a bad unit. The 27" model seemed the better buy.

Anyway if you're after color accuracy they are a good choice (at least the previous generation).

What differences did he find between the z24x and the 2480zx? I can get the older model cheaper and it does appear to be better in some respects (true 10 bit), but it only takes RGB progressive via HDMI and so needs the "band aid." But I'm guessing it's better overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.