Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Do you have it set to save your password, and if so what mail server are you using? .mac mail, comcast, etc?

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Are you talking about OS X Mail.app? When is it asking you for your password, and what version of OS X are you using, and is it Mail itself that asks or is it the Keychain that asks?

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
could be the ATT server, I have both my .mac mail and my comcast.net mail accounts in my Mail.app and it periodically asks me for the Comcast one and sometime even the .mac one as well so it's probably nothing to worry about.

oh and in the future post threads like this in the Mac Help section.....thanks.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
It is definitely the ATT server. I too have ATT Cable and it has done that off and on in the last couple months. They have been having problems with there system. If there was a competitor here in my area I would have them in a heart beat.

Next time it happens take a look at your Cable modem lites. Are they out or blinking synchronously? If they are you cable modem is having problems connecting and quite often unplugging it or turning it off for a few seconds then back on will allow it to reconnect. It appears it's not necessarily a modem problem but some sort of glitch in there system. It was doing the login in thing to me not stop for a couple weeks and I was extremely irritated but just about the time I was ready to call about it it went away and hasn't done it for a month now.

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
it's your mail server. my university mail account is always crapping out and mail asks me for the password, or says that it cannot contact the server. there's really not much you can do about it as the problem is on the other side of the pipe.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Yeah, Mail ask for my password and then reject it constantly if there's a connection problem with the server. I think it equates password rejections with connection timeouts or some other errors. For me it almost always happens when i'm using all of my bandwidth, like having several downloads and uploads going at once...

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.