Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nappytime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
They are redesigning the exterior and all the components to mirror that of the current Mac Pro (but in a smaller and of course less speced package). It's pretty simple and I don't hear too many people saying guessing this. A delay this long usually means that they are redesigning something. Or else, they could have just easily updated the Mac Mini in 2013 with just increased specs and a new processor. But I don't think that's the reason for the 520+ day delay. They are changing the Mac Mini just like how they gave it an aluminum exterior back when it was updated from its plastic exterior when it first came out. All these theads about the Mac Mini being dead are complete eye rolls. People here just like to over-react.

Last edited:

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
sQABZ2Al.jpg

The future is here.

The future is shaped like a boutique hotel lavatory pan.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
because it's not an iProduct

if the Mac Mini ran iOS, it would have been updated twice in this span.

It would be nice if the Mac Mini were to use a desktop CPU variant instead of mobile CPU variant. Same TDP, same speed, same iGPU, same cache desktop CPUs are about $100 less. It would make sense to me to use desktop parts and save money, especially since Apple doesn't see an extra penny from the higher prices of mobile parts.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
I reckon they are delaying just because they like reading all the posts from us 'experts' on here. ;)

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Apple doesn't give a hoot about antsy geeks

…… because an appropriately specced current Mac Mini runs the current software (and likely updates for a good while), and meets the needs of the typical Jill or Joe.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
…… because an appropriately specced current Mac Mini runs the current software (and likely updates for a good while), and meets the needs of the typical Jill or Joe.
Yep. If my Mid 2011 died tomorrow I'd be more than happy with the humblest Mini from the current line-up. FW *and* USB3; relatively good access to the Disk bays... it would do me very nicely.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
I reckon they are delaying just because they like reading all the posts from us 'experts' on here. ;)

I additionally reckon that those at Apple who really know about the mini's future find a lot of the posts here at MacRumors pretty hilarious. The 'experts' here are pretty funny to read. Posts go from competes-too-much-with-iMacs to holding-out-for-amazing-new-design and everything in between.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
if the Mac Mini ran iOS, it would have been updated twice in this span.

Apple design their own iOS chips, so they can set the update schedule. OS X is dependant on Intel for updates. But still, the Mac Mini should have been updated once by now along with the rest of the range. I would have one now if they had.

Missing the last update round means 2 options become more likely. 1. There is a redesign coming. 2. end-of-life for the Mini. Option 1 would be very nice indeed. Option 2 would be horrible.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
Apple design their own iOS chips, so they can set the update schedule. OS X is dependant on Intel for updates. But still, the Mac Mini should have been updated once by now along with the rest of the range. I would have one now if they had.

Missing the last update round means 2 options become more likely. 1. There is a redesign coming. 2. end-of-life for the Mini. Option 1 would be very nice indeed. Option 2 would be horrible.
There is really no excuse for it. Same design; same specs; same price. I don't think they care really. It probably sells enough to pay its way as it is so no-one has to do any thinking or expend much resources. Leaving the mac mini in its current form for so long is hardly a good example of Apple leading the pack innovatively.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Reasons for the delay:

1. End of life for the mini.... RIP 2012

2. PC sales have taken a nosedive. Why put development money into the mini every year when it could go into iOS device development. Like the iPod the Mini might get updated every 2 - 4 years.

3. While the Haswell GPU would give a new Mini an edge over the 2012 version it isn't that big a jump. Apple will wait until Broadwell or wait one more intel CPU, GPU generation.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Reasons for the delay:1/2/3
I haven't got a clue. If anyone here has got a clue then they'd be risking their jobs by posting about the Mini's future. But I think that dropping the only affordable headless Mac would prove to be bad business for Apple.

I don't know if it was ever truly the 'gateway drug for Windows users', but I'd imagine it's even less so now. I suspect the vast majority of consumer Mini purchases are made by existing 'Mac enthusiasts' driven by:
a) desire for computer/screen separation for reasons of extended display choice and ability to stagger hardware purchases
b) appreciation of the Mini's easy serviceability/upgradeability
c) repulsion when faced with those ghastly, glassy iMac screens
d) 'need' for a headless file server / media centre / whatever within a multi-Mac household

Being a cheap bastard doesn't really enter into the equation: if you're buying a base 2012 2.5GHz dual-core Mini and need all the trimmings (reasonable 21.5"/23" display, keyboard, mouse, DIY 8GB RAM upgrade) you'll be spending around £750 in the UK, which takes you very close to secondhand Late 2012 2.7GHz quad core iMac territory.

If Apple discontinue the Mini then a significant percentage of people looking to buy a Mini are not going to buy a new iMac, but will instead be scrabbling around for 2012 quad core Minis – which will be perfectly adequate computers for many years to come – or driven towards Hackintosh alternatives.

Last edited:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
3. While the Haswell GPU would give a new Mini an edge over the 2012 version it isn't that big a jump. Apple will wait until Broadwell ...

That's the one.

There is a small chance they will upgrade processors with the Haswell this year, but they will probably let it slide until the Broadwell due to the tangible power of the current Mini.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
That's the one.

There is a small chance they will upgrade processors with the Haswell this year, but they will probably let it slide until the Broadwell due to the tangible power of the current Mini.

Broadwell with PCI and TB2 could make the Mini a 3 year refresh machine.

CPUs have reached fairly stagnant speeds with only minor speed bumps and with Iris Pro IGPU being standard, the Mini will able to handle anything thrown at it.

The new Haswell chips socket has been designed so that Broadwell can replace the Hasswell for upgrading so the Mini could get a refresh with Haswell and be refreshed with Broadwell easily next year.

There is hope for this year but I think next year when the IMacs get Broadwell that the Mini will get it too.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
I agree, an all new Mac mini is on the way, maybe soon at wwdc, and have a sort of Mac pro look but smaller and on silver, Apple may also considering high end Mac mini with discrete graphics, but at least is sure we will see a core i7 4770 with iris pro 5300 graphics and some sort of thermal core design and pcie ssd as options

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
Broadwell with PCI and TB2 could make the Mini a 3 year refresh machine.

CPUs have reached fairly stagnant speeds with only minor speed bumps and with Iris Pro IGPU being standard, the Mini will able to handle anything thrown at it.

The new Haswell chips socket has been designed so that Broadwell can replace the Haswell for upgrading so the Mini could get a refresh with Haswell and be refreshed with Broadwell easily next year.

There is hope for this year but I think next year when the IMacs get Broadwell that the Mini will get it too.

The saving grace for the mini is that it hasn't been cancelled so far. Yet they could have easily bumped it up a bit speed-wise with Haswell and bumped it up a lot more, and made it a lot more attractive, by giving it better graphics. This would have also shown some commitment to the product which they have pretty much done with everything but the mini and the macbook. I have a lot of trouble finding minis for sale on shelves at resellers even though they can be had if you ask from out the back. Which pretty much sums it up - It appears that it's not very high in the thoughts of lots of people including the folk at Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.