Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ItsAllBullet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
Hi Guys,

A little question here, I have a iMac (20-inch Early 2008) with 8GB of RAM and was wondering if I would be able to run Final Cut Studio 2 after I upgrade my mac to 10.6.8? (currently running 10.5)

Thanks in advance :D

Macmonter

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
Vermont, USA
Final Cut Studio 2 Where?

I'm also running 10.6.8, and I'm interested in Final Cut Studio 2. I could not find it listed in the App Store, so where do you get it?

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
Heck, the last version of Final Cut Studio (FCS3) was released two years before 10.7 was even announced. You don't even need to upgrade to 10.6 if you don't want to.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
FWIW, I am still using Final Cut Pro 6 (from Final Cut Studio 2) on my 2013 MBA under 10.8 and it works fine. However there is one "gotcha". The FCS 2 installer is not a universal application and requires Rosetta. Since Rosetta was dropped in MacOSX 10.7, you will not be able to install FCS 2 on anything newer than MacOSX 10.6.

If you already have a working copy of FCS 2 installed on an old machine, the migration assistant will move it to the newer versions of MacOSX. But if you use the original install install disks, they will not run since Rosetta isn't present.

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
FWIW, I am still using Final Cut Pro 6 (from Final Cut Studio 2) on my 2013 MBA under 10.8 and it works fine. However there is one "gotcha". The FCS 2 installer is not a universal application and requires Rosetta. Since Rosetta was dropped in MacOSX 10.7, you will not be able to install FCS 2 on anything newer than MacOSX 10.6.

If you already have a working copy of FCS 2 installed on an old machine, the migration assistant will move it to the newer versions of MacOSX. But if you use the original install install disks, they will not run since Rosetta isn't present.

I had this problem also when i upgraded from SnowLepard to Lion and Mountain Lion. What you need to do is take a old snowlepard disk and install Rosetta on your machine that's running the new operating system. Once you install, you should be fine. If worse comes to worse and you cant launch it from the cds, make DMG's in disk utility and go about installing it that way.

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
2 things...

1: Yes Final Cut Studio 2 and Final Cut Studio 3 will work on newer operating systems, as long as you have pre-installed Rosetta. I am running Final Cut Studio 3 on a Mavericks MacBook Pro, and it works well.

2: If you have FCP X installed, you will have to re-install FCP X after, for some reason when you try and select a different location for FCS2 or FCS 3, it will not allow this, you have to use the standard install path, this will overwrite FCP X. I just re-installed FCP X after Final Cut Studio 3.

What I noticed is that the app store picked up on the Final Cut Studio 3 install and offered updates, which I installed, once I was happy with the installed updates, and FCP 3 worked, I ran the app store and re-installed X, and both work, you cannot launch both or run both at the same time, it is either 1 or the other.

There is 1 caveat, FCP 3, will read older projects, if you have a project created in 3 and try to open it in Final Cut Studio 2, it will not work.

Werkfoto

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Czech Republic
works but XML is an issue

I use FCP6 on Mavericks without issue.
It has it's limitations, especially when you are rendering, but I understand and like the interface.
This weekend I was toying around with the obsolete MagicBullet Grinder and realized that I can indeed export XML files v.4 from FCP6 into the latest lite version of DaVinci Resolve.
Wohooo, this didn't work before on Resolve 10, as far as i know. I will be messing around with my old MacPro where I have one of my 2008 projects in 4:3 and would like to revive it in 1080.
(As JustinePaula mentioned there are issues with XML versions which are not down or up compatible. I couldn't fix that by hacking the info.plist.)
It may take some work relinking the footage, but I should keep the structure and improve on it, especially in grading.
Let's see if that works and if I can resize it without to much hassle...

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I strongly recommend against attempting to install Rosetta in Lion, Mt. Lion or Mavericks. There have been some anecdotal reports of severe problems down the road after making such an installation.

It was never meant to be installed in these versions of OS X. Furthermore, it is difficult, if not impossible to uninstall Rosetta, once that mistake has been made, other than a complete wipe.

There are three known ways to install FCS2 (FCP6) into these versions of OS X:

1. Use Pacifist;

2. Use Jeremy Johnstone's Terminal method; and

3. Lastly, here is a post I recently assembled regarding another successful method that does not use Pacifist or Terminal and is much easier to use:

Apple has created a "bug" in the attempt to install FCP6 in Lion, Mt. Lion and Mavericks, which makes it look like Rosetta is needed for a PowerPC app, the installer, so as to make it difficult for the use of FCP6 in these versions of OS X!

HawaiianHippie has discovered the best and safest possible solution to this problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/26309669?ac_cid=tw123456#26309669

I have now successfully done this on four computers, brand new iMacs running 10.9.4. And I've discovered an even easier way to do this! You don't need to edit the plist file, just move it into the Trash. Install proceeds normally. You can return it after you're done if you like, I don't know what (if any) possible repercussions might come from leaving it deleted.

The file, as indicated on Jeremy Johnstone's blog, is
/System/Library/CoreServices/Installer.app/Contents/Resources/PPCRequirements.plist

(Note that when you get to Installer.app, you will have to Control+click and select "Show Package Contents")

I have not, as yet, attempted to recreate HawaiianHippie's success.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.