PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs in Grove Apple Store...but no Powerbooks :(

movmkr
Jan 9, 2003, 11:12 PM
I swung by the Apple store in LA's The Grove shopping center to see if they had any new Powerbooks yet (already stopped by on Wed). The new Powerbook will be my first Mac and I'm really excited to test it out (I won't be buying one until they update the 15" which is what I want).

Anyhoo, they finally put some displays and posters up in the store. But no sign of the new books. I noticed there was a large amount of Apple employees there (considering it was a Thursday day...). Then I noticed Steve Jobs, all shaggy with torn jeans and a black apple shirt with a swarm of employees around him.

After wondering around the store twice an employee finally asked if I needed anything and I said I was there to see the new books. Well, he said they MIGHT have the 12" this weekend and MAYBE the 17" next month...FOR DEMO, not even for sale, just the demo models. What's the deal with that? If anyone was going to have these models to demo it would be the APPLE STORE. Were they so worried about leaks that they couldn't risk sending models to their own stores? Anyway, I said something about that being stupid and the apple store employee said I should go talk to Steve about it. Hehehe - Matt

PS-Damn...I really should have...could have told Jobs to get off his ass and update the 15" ;)

iJon
Jan 9, 2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by movmkr
I swung by the Apple store in LA's The Grove shopping center to see if they had any new Powerbooks yet (already stopped by on Wed). The new Powerbook will be my first Mac and I'm really excited to test it out (I won't be buying one until they update the 15" which is what I want).

Anyhoo, they finally put some displays and posters up in the store. But no sign of the new books. I noticed there was a large amount of Apple employees there (considering it was a Thursday day...). Then I noticed Steve Jobs, all shaggy with torn jeans and a black apple shirt with a swarm of employees around him.

After wondering around the store twice an employee finally asked if I needed anything and I said I was there to see the new books. Well, he said they MIGHT have the 12" this weekend and MAYBE the 17" next month...FOR DEMO, not even for sale, just the demo models. What's the deal with that? If anyone was going to have these models to demo it would be the APPLE STORE. Were they so worried about leaks that they couldn't risk sending models to their own stores? Anyway, I said something about that being stupid and the apple store employee said I should go talk to Steve about it. Hehehe - Matt

PS-Damn...I really should have...could have told Jobs to get off his ass and update the 15" ;)

why would he update them right now, that would be the stupiest idea ever. as for the new powerbooks, steve puts those dates there for a reason. this means they arent in volume production yet. they will be soon though. wait till april or may and you will see your new powerbooks with all the goodies that the new ones have. not to be mean but you should get off steves a** wait.

iJon

Wren
Jan 10, 2003, 12:29 AM
i'm with you there... i went to the Grove Apple Store on the 7th and no AlBooks in sight. They offered to give me a 10 percent discount and a t-shirt as soon as the Powerbooks arrive ( with purchase ) of course.

The 15 inch Powerbook (Titanium) was just updated a month ago. They offered a Superdrive and padded the speed to 1GhZ. I don't think they will upgrade it anytime soon.

rainman::|:|
Jan 10, 2003, 12:37 AM
the question everyone's really dying to know-- did you come close enough to feel the reality-distortion field? i understand it can be quite trippy. Probably why the apple store employees were all huddled around him... it'd be like standing by jesus. on a nice day.

:D
pnw

movmkr
Jan 10, 2003, 11:17 AM
I'm aware that the 15" PB were just updated. I've been watching the Powerbooks ever since I decided to save up money and switch a year and a half ago. I'm just not a fan of their uneven product line, doesn't really inspire me to buy. Yes they've got a lot of existing inventory, I know that's the reason they delayed updating the 15" till whenever (hopefully only a matter of a month). But a quick browse through any of the forums and you'll notice a lot of people not buying any powerbook because the 12 is too small and the 17 is too big so they're just waiting for the 15. Now, having said that I'm aware that there are probably a lot of people who are snatching up the 15 during this between phase to get great prices. More power to them, the faster they eat up the existing inventory the faster I can buy my updated 15 ;)

I'm really just hoping Apple decides to rip off this bandaid quick and sneak the new 15's in when they update the iMacs, eMacs and PowerMacs next month. I've actually got the money now, I don't want to wait a whole nother product cycle. :)

ANYWAY. The point of my thread wasn't really the 15, I was talking about the fact that an Apple store didn't have their own new product to demo. I could tell from the questions I heard both days I went to the Apple store that people were there to see the new powerbooks. It just seemed like Apple was missing great oppertunities. After all, people heard of the announcement and their first thought was "Lets go to the Apple store and check them out!" Who else better to have the new product than Apple right? Oh well.

- Matt

kstew
Jan 10, 2003, 12:03 PM
I was in the new Pasadena store for their grand-opening and they have two 12" PB's on display right now. I love what Apple has done with the new design, especially the keyboard. Awesome! I really can't wait to see the 17" monster.

Kstew

ooagentbender
Jan 10, 2003, 04:17 PM
Could I ask you fellows who live near that store to help me out and ask the folks there what the estimated shipping date for the 12" is. It seems to me like it would be fairly soon if they have display versions for all the apple stores. I have no idea though. I need that damn thing asap and any help would be welcome.

iJon
Jan 10, 2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by ooagentbender
Could I ask you fellows who live near that store to help me out and ask the folks there what the estimated shipping date for the 12" is. It seems to me like it would be fairly soon if they have display versions for all the apple stores. I have no idea though. I need that damn thing asap and any help would be welcome. im not at an official apple store but a official apple reseller. Our 12's could possible be in the week after next. We have it on order. Only im gonna hate to see is the look on people's faces with ddr so-dimm, ouch. thats gonna cost a lot.

iJon

ooagentbender
Jan 10, 2003, 07:49 PM
Nice. I ordered mine from the apple online store because of my educational discount, will they be shipping to you guys alot sooner than they will ship to me or do you know?

iJon
Jan 10, 2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by ooagentbender
Nice. I ordered mine from the apple online store because of my educational discount, will they be shipping to you guys alot sooner than they will ship to me or do you know?
I would assume they woudl, but im just assuming. Apple Stores will get them first. Like the other guy said, a couple have already shown up at the apple store in his town. We wont get a lot in. We will get one that we will put on show, possiblly a couple to sell. Usually we will get them about every week once the first ones start shipping. nothing was as bad as the flat panel imacs though.

iJon

JSRockit
Jan 11, 2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by iJon

why would he update them right now, that would be the stupiest idea ever. with about 2000 laptops scatterd about in warehouses and only god knows how many apple has in warehouses. as for the new powerbooks, steve puts those dates there for a reason. this means they arent in volume production yet. they will be soon though. wait till april or may and you will see your new powerbooks with all the goodies that the new ones have. not to be mean but you should get off steves a** wait.

iJon

Jesus...you think Apple will wait til April or May to update the 15" TiBook to a 15" AlumiBook? Anyone who does their homework would not buy the TiBook at this time...knowing that in the near future it will be updated. Face it...with the additions that the 17" pbook got, the TiBook seems outdated in a few areas, mainly Airport and lack of FW 800. I'm grabbing the 12" so I really don't care.

mymemory
Jan 11, 2003, 12:21 PM
In a month the PB will be ready. Now, I doub they will have them just for display, remember you are talking to humman beens too.

benixau
Jan 11, 2003, 12:39 PM
are you sure. if you talk to jobs it would be like talking to jesus or g-d.

ok so not g-d, but maybe jesus. how many other people have sacrified themselves (WWDC) to provide us with a better lifestyle?

JSRockit
Jan 11, 2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by mymemory
In a month the PB will be ready. Now, I doub they will have them just for display, remember you are talking to humman beens too.

12" was supposed to be 2 weeks...as said by jobs at the kn.

regan
Jan 11, 2003, 01:00 PM
I talked to the apple people here in the NYC soho apple store, and they said the 12" will ship in 2 weeks...the 17" next month.....and as expected all I got was a blank look and no answer when I inquired about the 15" update. LOL.

I really believe the "update" of the 15" in November, wasn't so much an update as an attempt to clear out stock as quickly as possible. I think the Aluma version of the 15" is ready to go....and will make an appearance when the 17" is officially ready.

At least that is what I hope. :)

I'm gonna give the 17" a good look, before I buy...but I really was just about to get a 15" tibook before the MWSF announcement. 15" is PERFECT for my flash animations and webdesign work...plus some DV stuff as well.

I really hate the waiting game, and will definately NOT wait for the future faster chip everyone is talking about...because you all know that won't appear in the powerbooks till the fall at the earliest. The only thing keepin me from getting the um "older" version tibook is the lack of airport extreme....perhaps the paint issue to a lesser degree. I'm tired of waiting...but I just KNOW the 15" will be updated with these slight features next month. Ugh. Just another 4 weeks. 30 days. That is all. no biggie. :)

benixau
Jan 11, 2003, 01:03 PM
and it will ahve the most important update and bug fix in its life span.

airport reception :D

JSRockit
Jan 11, 2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by benixau
and it will ahve the most important update and bug fix in its life span.

airport reception :D

Exactly why it, the 15" pBook, WILL be updated soon.

regan
Jan 11, 2003, 01:21 PM
Exactly...poor airport reception and the paint issue are the ONLY two dark spots on the 15" tibooks famtastic 2 year run.

Even Steve Jobs said so himself in...um...a not so roundabout way when he introduced the new aluma books.

So it is a GIVEN that the 15" aluma book is coming sooner and not later.

Just a little loooooooooonger.......

-Regan

JSRockit
Jan 11, 2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by regan
Exactly...poor airport reception and the paint issue are the ONLY two dark spots on the 15" tibooks famtastic 2 year run.

Even Steve Jobs said so himself in...um...a not so roundabout way when he introduced the new aluma books.

So it is a GIVEN that the 15" aluma book is coming sooner and not later.

Just a little loooooooooonger.......

-Regan

He also said the 15" was here to stay.

regan
Jan 11, 2003, 01:57 PM
Of COURSE he said the 15" was HERE to stay. It's their best size. Not too big, not too small....the question is in WHAT form? The aluma form of course.

I mean come on....Do you really think he would cripple the 15" model and keep it in the old style without the airport extreme or aluma? Um....MOST definately not. The aluma version is coming...and coming soon.

So yeah the 15" is here to stay.

-Reg

alset
Jan 11, 2003, 03:52 PM
I missed catching Steve at my local Bay Street store a couple weeks ago by only an hour. What a sad day that was! 8(

Dan

JSRockit
Jan 11, 2003, 04:55 PM
Of COURSE he said the 15" was HERE to stay. It's their best size. Not too big, not too small....the question is in WHAT form? The aluma form of course.

I mean come on....Do you really think he would cripple the 15" model and keep it in the old style without the airport extreme or aluma? Um....MOST definately not. The aluma version is coming...and coming soon.

So yeah the 15" is here to stay.

-Reg

Right...did you think I was disagreeing? Of course it will be updated...and will be the most popular model yet...even though I am still buying a 12" pBook.

regan
Jan 11, 2003, 05:09 PM
Hey JS...

Just curious, what kind of work will you be doing on the 12" powerbook and why will you choose it over the 15?

I am learning flash animation...and I travel alot. I currently use the graphite ibook special edition. The thing refuses to die....but its time for more speed. The aluma 12" powerbook has the same screen real estate as the ibook....but with a g4 under the hood. Tempting...very tempting. Plus I'm sure the 12" gets the best battery usage of all the powerbooks.

I was going to get the 15" tibook just before the MWSF show...now I have 3 choices! But I'm the kinda guy who needs to see, feel and touch the product. So I guess I have to wait till the apple store gets all three models in for me to fondle! :)

After this though...NO MORE WAITING for me! I'm plunkin down my hard earned cash as soon as I make my decision....no MATTER what rumors I hear about further updates down the pike. Promise. :)

-Reg

JSRockit
Jan 11, 2003, 06:07 PM
Hey JS...

Just curious, what kind of work will you be doing on the 12" powerbook and why will you choose it over the 15?

I am learning flash animation...and I travel alot. I currently use the graphite ibook special edition. The thing refuses to die....but its time for more speed. The aluma 12" powerbook has the same screen real estate as the ibook....but with a g4 under the hood. Tempting...very tempting. Plus I'm sure the 12" gets the best battery usage of all the powerbooks.

I was going to get the 15" tibook just before the MWSF show...now I have 3 choices! But I'm the kinda guy who needs to see, feel and touch the product. So I guess I have to wait till the apple store gets all three models in for me to fondle! :)

After this though...NO MORE WAITING for me! I'm plunkin down my hard earned cash as soon as I make my decision....no MATTER what rumors I hear about further updates down the pike. Promise. :)

-Reg

I use my computers for Audio...and I tend to use one app at a time...so screen real estate is a big deal to me. I like small form factors because I don't drive and if I am bringing my laptop, I want it to be light on my shoulder...of course the 15" fits the bill as well...but it is long.

I bought the iBook a few months ago as a small on the go portable...because I liked its form factor better than the 15" TiBook...which is kinda long...I also use a PC laptop. I told myself that the minute the iBook goes G4, I'm buying another...well, with the 12" pBook...the iBook went G4. I tend to like small laptops aesthetically as well.

Doctor Q
Jan 11, 2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by ooagentbender Nice. I ordered mine from the apple online store because of my educational discount, will they be shipping to you guys alot sooner than they will ship to me or do you know? Judging from past hardware releases, they will start shipping from all channels (Apple Stores, apple.com, resellers) at practically the same time, i.e., within a few days of each other. Education orders don't seem to be at a disadvantage.

rideahyperLite
Jan 12, 2003, 02:55 AM
whats the deal with this student discount? how much do u get off and how would i go about getting it? also i think im gonna order the 17 pb so if i ordered it online do u think they would ship it soon or would they wait until sometime in feb.

Doctor Q
Jan 12, 2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by rideahyperLite
whats the deal with this student discount? how much do u get off and how would i go about getting it?To learn about deals for students (and teachers too), start at http://www.apple.com/education/ and pick Higher Education, K-12 Education, or The Apple Store (which gets you the usual-looking Apple Store, but with the "education" prices). To buy with the education discounts, you have to shop online, not in Apple's retail stores (at least according to an employee at the Grove who told me this). Some products are discounted more than others (from $10, $20, or $30 on small products to hundreds on more expensive products), some not at all. You should be able to prove that you qualify for the discount, but Apple doesn't require that you have an .edu e-mail address as some companies do.

Other companies that sell Mac-compatible hardware and software offer education discounts too. You'll usually have to check their web sites for details.

Many universities have made their own arrangements for discount purchases by their students, so if you attend a university, check with your school too.

Finally, if you want to develop Apple software, the Apple Developer Connection has a student discount (http://developer.apple.com/students/).

Wren
Jan 14, 2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by kstew
I was in the new Pasadena store for their grand-opening and they have two 12" PB's on display right now. I love what Apple has done with the new design, especially the keyboard. Awesome! I really can't wait to see the 17" monster.

Kstew

Went back to the Grove Apple store last Sunday, and they still did not have it. So I decided to drive to Pasadena and check out their new store. Alas, I saw the Aluminum 12 inch promptly displayed on their window and another one on the floor for demo. It looked great! I took the plunge and ordered the 17 incher.... Heheh.Apple store gave me what they call "Early Bird" special. A t-shirt and a 10 percent discount on any purchase. Now, all I have to do is wait for about 7 weeks

RaNdOm
Jan 14, 2003, 11:08 AM
Wow, a 10% discount beats the student discount and the government discount; provided you are buying for personal use. Is this only available on the 17" and only at the Apple Stores? It may be worth a trip to Denver to see the new PBs in person.

Wren
Jan 14, 2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by RaNdOm
Wow, a 10% discount beats the student discount and the government discount; provided you are buying for personal use. Is this only available on the 17" and only at the Apple Stores? It may be worth a trip to Denver to see the new PBs in person.

Yes I do believe the offer is valid for 12 ' and 17 ' Powerbooks. I would recommend that you call the Apple store in Denver before you visit and ask if they have the new Aluminum Powerbooks ( display or model) . The Apple store at the Groveis the Flagship store in the West coast did not even have any, but personally, it was worth it for me to drive to Pasadena, take a good look at it BEFORE I decieded on purchasing it.:) :)

BubbaTAC
Jan 14, 2003, 01:33 PM
Just a tip, I just got a ALpb 12 for 1539 (list 1799)...oh my god! how did you do that victor! Employees won't even have a discount for months!!

I want to share with you guys...Joining ADC usually costs a lot of money, up to $3500 with lots of privileges, but if you are a student, it costs $99.

WHen you become an ADC student member, you are allowed a one time (lifetime) purchase of a system (ie portable or tower+monitor) from the ADC store, these prices are AWESOME. Even better than the employee discount. My Al book was1439 (I included the price of ADC membership in what I consider I paid).

Do THIS! Especially if you areally are a developer. I saved more than $200, AND I get the extra benefit of all the ADC stuff (including glances at prereleases stuff under NDA)

Just wanted to help out those of you with Geek lust who are students and don't have all that scrilla...peace

pgwalsh
Jan 14, 2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by benixau
are you sure. if you talk to jobs it would be like talking to jesus or g-d.

ok so not g-d, but maybe jesus. how many other people have sacrified themselves (WWDC) to provide us with a better lifestyle? That's a funny comment considering Jobs is Jewish.

Jeffx342
Jan 14, 2003, 07:03 PM
I orderd my powerbook 17 inch. I was a lucky bastard I was getting my 15 inch during Macworld just made it for that 40$ double your memory. Apple e-mailed me sayin if I wanted to update it with 17inch powerbook with 1 Gig of DDR!!
I said YES

DAMN! now I have to wait 10 weeks!!!!

JSRockit
Jan 14, 2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Jeffx342
I orderd my powerbook 17 inch. I was a lucky bastard I was getting my 15 inch during Macworld just made it for that 40$ double your memory. Apple e-mailed me sayin if I wanted to update it with 17inch powerbook with 1 Gig of DDR!!
I said YES

so these 17" models won't be out til late March, early April? That is rediculous. When are the 12" models set to ship?

Wren
Jan 14, 2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Jeffx342
I said YES

You are lucky indeed! I have to pay $300 USD. to double my memory. I wonder if I could use my 10 percent on doubling my memory.. ??

janey
Jan 14, 2003, 10:16 PM
WOW...Steve himself was at the Grove Apple Store on Thursday?!?!!! I WAS THERE THE WHOLE ENTIRE DAY AND I NEVER DID!!! Oh man that sucks.